Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times

Advertisements

I agree with the idea of just doing a few things. Rome takes at least three days. It's impractical to try to hit both Florence and the Amalfi coast as they're in opposite directions.

Either drive up to Florence and spend some time in Siena on the way back to Rome or take the train to Naples and use the local rail to get to Sorrento. From there it's easy to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the lower Amalfi coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Not really:
Day 0: Fly from Charlotte (I assume). Change planes somewhere on way to Europe.

Day 1: Arrive in Milan around 10:00 am. Check into hotel. Spend about 9 leisurely hours out in city.

Day 2: Wake up. Have nice breakfast. Take the 8:10am train from Milano Centrale to Monterosso, arriving around 11:05. Go to hotel. (I recommend staying in Vernazza.) Spend about 8 leisurely hours in the Cinque Terre, concentrating on the towns of Vernazza and Monterosso. Try taking the ferry between them.

Day 3: Spend all day in the Cinque Terre. Hike from Vernazza to Riomaggiore, and take shuttle train back.

Day 4: Morning train to somewhere in Tuscany. Spend 10-ish hours exploring Vineyards, Pisa, Lucca, hiking, etc.

Day 5: Spend all day in Florence, accessed by 30 minute train ride.

Day 6: Morning train to Florence. Spend 3 or 4 hours seeing more things. Train (2 hours) to Rome. Explore Rome for a few hours.

Day 7-9: Explore Rome

Day 10: Fly home.

Obviously a longer trip is ideal, but this is doable and enjoyable.
It's indeed doable, but for me would not be enjoyable. For me, the primary reason to go to these cities is to experience the art and church architecture.

With these priorities (and note that I'm a voracious and relatively efficient sightseer) have done these itineraries:

-2 days for Milan: (day 1) Pinacoteca di Brera, Castello Sforzesco, Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, Last Supper and Santa Maria Della Grazie (day 2) Museo Poldi-Pezzoli, La Scala Museum, Galeria Vittorio Emanuele II walk through, Duomo, Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore, Basilica Sant'Ambrogio, Chiesa Santa Maria Presso San Satiro.

-6 days for Florence: (day 1) Museo della Casa Buonarroti, Chiesa di Orsonmichelle, Basilica di San Lorenzo, Santa Maria Novella (day 2) Santa Maria del Carmine, Ponte Vecchio, Baptistry, Duomo, Campanile, Duomo Museum, Palazzo Vecchio, Basilica de Santa Croce and Pazzi Chapel (day 3) Galleria dell'Accademia, San Marco, Biblioteca Laurenzia and Medici Chapels, Medici-Riccardi Palace, Uffizi (day 4) Il Bargello, Boboli Gardens, Pitti Palace. Also did one day trip each to Pisa and Siena.

-6 days for Rome: (day 1) Vatican Museum, St. Peter's, Spanish Steps (day 2) Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli, Santa Maria Maggiore, Cimitiero Monumentale di Padre Cappucini, Etruscan Museum (day 3) Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Scala Sancta, Basilica San Clemente, Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Castel Sant'Angelo (day 4) Augustus and Trajan's Forum walk-by, Roman Forum, Colosseum, Capitoline Museums. The Galleria Borghese was closed for renovations when I went, otherwise would have fit it after the Etruscan Museum. Also did one day trip each to Ostia Antica and Tivoli.

Works for me, at least.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
It's indeed doable, but for me would not be enjoyable. For me, the primary reason to go to these cities is to experience the art and church architecture.

With these priorities (and note that I'm a voracious and relatively efficient sightseer) have done these itineraries:

-2 days for Milan: (day 1) Pinacoteca di Brera, Castello Sforzesco, Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, Last Supper and Santa Maria Della Grazie (day 2) Museo Poldi-Pezzoli, La Scala Museum, Galeria Vittorio Emanuele II walk through, Duomo, Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore, Basilica Sant'Ambrogio, Chiesa Santa Maria Presso San Satiro.

-6 days for Florence: (day 1) Museo della Casa Buonarroti, Chiesa di Orsonmichelle, Basilica di San Lorenzo, Santa Maria Novella (day 2) Santa Maria del Carmine, Ponte Vecchio, Baptistry, Duomo, Campanile, Duomo Museum, Palazzo Vecchio, Basilica de Santa Croce and Pazzi Chapel (day 3) Galleria dell'Accademia, San Marco, Biblioteca Laurenzia and Medici Chapels, Medici-Riccardi Palace, Uffizi (day 4) Il Bargello, Boboli Gardens, Pitti Palace. Also did one day trip each to Pisa and Siena.

-6 days for Rome: (day 1) Vatican Museum, St. Peter's, Spanish Steps (day 2) Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli, Santa Maria Maggiore, Cimitiero Monumentale di Padre Cappucini, Etruscan Museum (day 3) Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Scala Sancta, Basilica San Clemente, Chiesa di San Pietro in Vincoli, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Castel Sant'Angelo (day 4) Augustus and Trajan's Forum walk-by, Roman Forum, Colosseum, Capitoline Museums. The Galleria Borghese was closed for renovations when I went, otherwise would have fit it after the Etruscan Museum. Also did one day trip each to Ostia Antica and Tivoli.

Works for me, at least.
These are very good suggestions. I will agree, you are a very efficient traveler . We've had our first FULL day (Saturday) in Rome (actually not over as we plan to go back out for some cocktails and night life/music). Got a late start and didn't really leave our hotel until around noon (spending about an hour before that with the concierge). Went to Emma's for a leisurely lunch. We had colosseum reversations for 3pm (booked it a little later in afternoon to let the drizzles pass - which it did) so we took our time and enjoyed it. Then spent the afternoon at the colosseum (about 2-3 hours) . Then hung out around the colosseum area for a coffee and lemon sorbet (very good after being at the colosseum for a while). Then walked around to some vintage shops which my wife enjoyed - got another light bite, and took our time again just enjoying the atomosphere and people. Our first day (which really was Friday late morning and afternoon) was spent at the Spanish steps and getting a horse ride around the city, stopping and taking pictures, then a nice pizzeria dinner. Today I thought we would do the colosseum and forum but we were a bit tired after the colosseum and will go back tomorrow after spending the morning at the pool. Our pace is rather slow by comparison but enjoyable so far. Monday will be the Vatican (at least). I'm wondering how long you spent at each location to do so much in a day? Impressive, also you must have had a lot of that wonderful expresso to get the energy levels up

I've got some really good suggestions - thank you!

Old 05-06-2017, 03:07 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times
Miker2069: it's been a while since going, but if memory serves I generally spent a couple hours at the biggest churches (St. Peter's, Florence Duomo, Milan Duomo), half hour to 90 minutes at the smaller churches and similar attractions, one to two hours at the smaller museums, and several hours at the biggest museums (Vatican, Pitti Palace) and the Roman Forum. It helped that many of the churches open early, plus attractions like the Spanish Steps can be visited after 5pm. And will sometimes go to museums when they're open in the evening. Usually start sightseeing early, often hitting the first attraction at opening time.

And yes, coffee helps, as does a good night's sleep and a relatively early bedtime (am not one for visiting bars, clubs, and the like at night). Also do not normally stop for an extended lunch, commonly opting for a munch grab on the fly -- usually eat a big breakfast (especially if it comes with the hotel stay) and a decent dinner instead.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:03 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
You have to go to the rooftop of the Duomo in Florence, the view is pretty amazing.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I think we should be able to do this on our own without a "group tour" (I don't think I want to be on someone elses schedule). Any thoughts and help on an itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Absolutely! You don't need a group tour.

I would skip Rome and go to Cinque Terre for three days and then to Tuscany and stay in Montepulciano. Finally, I would visit Venice since it is the only city like it in the world. I would rent a car and drive to all these places.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I would do the lower Amalfi coast . I plan to go back soon . The last trip was amazing and the people I traveled with were outstanding in both demeanor and manners . I slipped on a rock near the hotel and a stranger helped me up and said welcome to Italy in Italian . I felt very welcomed there .

Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would do the lower Amalfi coast . I plan to go back soon . The last trip was amazing and the people I traveled with were outstanding in both demeanor and manners . I slipped on a rock near the hotel and a stranger helped me up and said welcome to Italy in Italian . I felt very welcomed there .
Second this the view is spectacular.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
I know people love it but I think Tuscany is overrated; scenery is nothing compared to the Amalfi coast or the Cinque Terre.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I know people love it but I think Tuscany is overrated; scenery is nothing compared to the Amalfi coast or the Cinque Terre.
This is true, but if you are interested in wine, Tuscany is a "must visit" region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel