Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Italy for about 10 days (maybe 7 but leaning towards 10 full days). We're both from the US. One mistake that I've heard often is to avoid trying to see everything - the stress of not being able to relax and "soak in" where you're at, will ruin the trip. So I'd love to get ideas on how to spend a 10 day trip. The things we'd like to do are (please forgive me on any incorrect assumptions I've made):

-See major sites (particularly those in Rome) - Colosseum, Pantheon, Vatican, etc. Those are in Rome but not limited to just Rome.
-Experience wine country and great Italian food and the Italian dining experience. I'm thinking we can get this in Tuscany(?) Plus the landscape should be very beautiful.
-Experience the beach/coast? I've heard Amafli coast is amazing and many Italians vacation there. I know it's a considerable distance from Rome.
-Florence (as I heard it's a good place to spend time).
-Milian, maybe because I've heard it's basically like most cities and really is only vibrant during fashion week, not so much for a vacation or tourist destination.

I've never been to Italy and this would be our first time. I hope 10 days (could possibly stretch to 11-12 days) is enough to do 3 to 4 of the things I mentioned above. I am totally open to anything that I am not aware of. we definitely want to experience the major sites, the beautiful lansdscape, the food/wine, and maybe the beach/coastal area.

I think we should be able to do this on our own without a "group tour" (I don't think I want to be on someone elses schedule). Any thoughts and help on an itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
10 Days In Italy - How would you spend it? ......
Well, you did ask how I would spend it. So.....

I like to work and I like to learn. I'm not very good at all the traditional vacation stuff you listed. Fine food, beaches and so forth have no appeal for me.

I would pick a town in Italy and stay there. Almost doesn't matter where, but I am thinking a small town.
I would base operations out of that town and take daily excursions to other sites, but always return to that same, boring town.

I would NOT shuttle to and from all the "great tourist destinations". But that's just me. Instead, I would set out to make friends and share experiences with Italians who rarely see Americans. I would make an attempt to speak a little Italian. Our favorite trips have been done just like that.

I have visited 49 states and 19 foreign countries.
You know you've had a great vacation when your wife cries when you have to go back.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Americans usually end up visiting the expected combination of Rome, Florence and Venice anyway. Like in 95% of the cases.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Amalfi coast is a must and it is quite close to Rome. Take the train from Rome to Naples and hire a car driver to get you to Positano.

I would skip Milan unless you want to see lake Como.

Venice is another must see but very far from Rome. You will need to fly there.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:37 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
Went to Venice and Florence for our honeymoon last year, Florence is awesome. I would definitely do 2-3 days there. Venice I wasn't that excited with, it's expensive. I would probably stay there 1 night. Rome is a 3-4 day stay as well.

I've wanted to do the Amalfi Coast, but I've read that's a trip on it's own and I don't know if you can fit that in on a 10 day schedule. If it's 10 days, think of it as 9 because you lose a day flying to get there.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Went to Venice and Florence for our honeymoon last year, Florence is awesome. I would definitely do 2-3 days there. Venice I wasn't that excited with, it's expensive. I would probably stay there 1 night. Rome is a 3-4 day stay as well.

I've wanted to do the Amalfi Coast, but I've read that's a trip on it's own and I don't know if you can fit that in on a 10 day schedule. If it's 10 days, think of it as 9 because you lose a day flying to get there.
3-4 days in theAmalfi coast is enough,especially if you stay in Positano. One day driving around by car, one day boat trip, one day Capri, one day Vesuvius.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
I found two days in Venice to be good enough. I'd split the remaining days half and half between Florence and Rome, especially if you're a museum lover.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I've traveled a great bit in Italy but if I were to go back for 10 days, I'd spend it all in Rome.

Every morning I'd take off with a map in hand and comfortable shoes on my feet and head out in another direction and walk and walk and walk. I'd sit a spell in lovely little churches, light candles for my loved ones and thank God I was there.

I'd stop for a drink when I needed one and I'd eat everything that looked good (I'd probably need two seats on the flight home, unfortunately....) I'd poke my head into interesting shops. I'd stop in little parks and rub my toes. I'd look for a flea market and some antique shops. I'd buy a pair of beautiful Italian shoes. I'd buy a gorgeous scarf and wear it every day.

I'd "buon giorno" and "buona sera" and "ciao" anyone I'd see who looked friendly. After all, I'm an American and we're friendly.

Then at night, I'd drag my tired body back to my quaint little pensione and soak my feet in the bathtub. Then I'd get out my guidebook and the (probably quite bedraggled by now) map and plan tomorrow's adventure.

That's what I'd do. I love Florence and Venice and Pisa, but oh Roma.... I'm pretty sure I must have lived there in a previous life; I think I was a used chariot dealer - LOL.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Thank You for all the great feedback. I should have also mentioned we're looking at going in May (so we might beat the typical tourist season in the late summer - at least that's a thought).

I'm definitely thinking 5 days in Rome and 5 days in Florence and Tuscany. Amfali would be nice but I'm thinking that it would be a bit chilly when we go (in May). Venice seems like it would eat to much time off the trip - plus a lot of feedback is that it's really expensive. I've added a couple days to the trip for travel so we'd have a solid 5 days in Italy.

Regarding Florence and Tuscany, we really want to explore wine country - are there any recommended winerys, tours to take? Yes, I could google it, but it's a blur going through all the "once in a lifetime" ads lol.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Eating and sipping wine! Italy's food and wine is amazing.

Scenery? you can't beat Cinque de Terre

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cinqu...q8CLEQ_AUICygC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel