Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Are there still active bombs that detonate based on when the US dropped them?
Yes, just like in Europe.

I think that there is a US State Department warning on that subject in many of the country guides in Southeast Asia.

For more adventurous travelers, traveling to Laos may be a good idea before it is "discovered."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Yes, just like in Europe.

I think that there is a US State Department warning on that subject in many of the country guides in Southeast Asia.

For more adventurous travelers, traveling to Laos may be a good idea before it is "discovered."
I went to Thailand and Vietnam and no issues

Old 05-18-2017, 09:22 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdhw View Post
Greetings everyone

Has anyone here traveled to Laos country which is located near to Thailand ? please share your experience there including places, activities and life. I'm planning to go there by the end of June this year.
Why Laos? Been to Cambodia and Vietnam and a few other countries in SE Asia...Thailand of course. Those may be more accessable for a tourist, particularly Vietnam and Thailand. Cambodia is poor enough but I imagine it will be extreme poverty in Laos.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Greetings everyone

Has anyone here traveled to Laos country which is located near to Thailand ? please share your experience there including places, activities and life. I'm planning to go there by the end of June this year.
I have never been to Laos.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Are there still active bombs that detonate based on when the US dropped them?
Yes, but mostly farther east and they have markings on the ground where UXO teams have cleared safe passage. You won't encounter it much in the main tourist areas of Vientiane, Vang Vieng, and Luang Prabang so don't sweat it.

It is actually somewhat interesting (and sad given impact on locals) as there are museums about UXO and the efforts to clear them, plus many local houses and businesses use the cluster bomb casings for practical things like fences.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Why Laos? Been to Cambodia and Vietnam and a few other countries in SE Asia...Thailand of course. Those may be more accessable for a tourist, particularly Vietnam and Thailand. Cambodia is poor enough but I imagine it will be extreme poverty in Laos.
It's just different. Laos has a lot more natural beauty than Cambodia, on par (and similar to) the hill areas of Northern Vietnam. The Buddhist influence on culture is also stronger like in Thailand, unlike relatively secular and often Christian leaning of Vietnam.

I believe one of the things that will keep Laos lower on the tourist appeal is lack of beaches. People like beaches, especially many Europeans who have more limited and expensive options for sun and sand. Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia let you combine some beach time along with inland cultural stuff, but the closest thing Laos has to that is playing around on the banks of the Mekong.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Has anyone here traveled to Laos country?

No, I have only visited Laotian cities and towns. I never ventured into that nation's rural regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel