Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:32 PM

212 posts, read 156,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I thought I was the only one who hates the Citibank website!
Just got off the phone with Citibank regarding seeing that my payment never went through for May (and I have autopay!) for my Costco card. I have had numerous problems with them especially in the last 3 months. I had signed up for all the text and email reminders and they never send them to me. I was late for 2 months (I rarely use the card due to hating Citibank). They refunded me the late fee and interest fee when I called. I deliberately switched to autopay due to all the problems that I've had with them. Again they did this over the phone. I go to check my account and I see that autopay didn't kick in and I have another late fee and interest charge due. I called up about this and they said it takes 2 cycles to kick in. No one said that to me when I authorized them to allow autopay. They also asked for my number so they could send me text reminders. I told that that I have already done that on 2 separate occasions and that I still get no texts. I have never had this issue with American Express, Chase, or Bank of America.

On top of it when I told the woman on the phone to just pay it over the phone, she said she needed my banking information. I said that like my phone number, they already have that!! I said I would just pay it online while she is on the phone with me. I went to set up the pay for what was due ($230.15 just making up an arbitrary amount). It wouldn't let me pay it online and the date was for the next weekday date! I had to make it $230.16 in order for them to accept my payment.

I hate citybank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Do some research. Best cards are chase saphirre and amex, there are many ways to earn and transfer points. Flyertalk or fatwallet are better forums to explore.

Always do the free membership rewards programs, and save some money.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
OP here...

What prompted the question is that I just got back from a 2 week trip to CA (I live in CT) and wound up flying United as it's one of the few airlines that fly to/from Santa Barbara--My daughter is stationed at Vandenberg AFB and lives in Lompoc. Since I have a friend living in SB as well it was more convenient than flying out of LA.

I was interested in UA's loyalty program as they were promoting it on the flights. I have a Capital One cash-back card and was thinking of getting the C-1 Venture card as well, and using that for gas and travel related expenses as I frequently take car trips to my home town in upstate NY.

Thanks to all who contributed. There's some great advice here.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
I dont think the capitol 1 card offer transferable point, so you will miss out on flights that have a very low "points" price. you can pay off a flight , paid with the credit card, with the rewards points accumulated in the card, so there are some benefits.

If you pay for everything with the card, and pay off at the end of the month, you can accumulate points very quickly.

but the ability to transfer to other rewards programs, like air and hotel, is not available with the CA1 card. Some airlines/hotels have incredible deals, only for members, so transferring is a blessing. so are the times when there are points sale, where transferring points will earn you upto 40 0/0 at times.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I haven't flown in 5 yrs or so. I still have close to 33k miles with United Miles plus program. So i tried to book a roundtrip flight today for October of this year from Houston to Vegas using the miles on United's website since it will expire in a couple of days. It says i am short and it actually will be 37k miles to get a free flight roundtrip. Thus, i need to fork up $190. Am i doing something wrong or am i just out of the loop for so long and things have changed? 37k miles for an economy roundtrip flight to Vegas seems alot. Thanks.

Last edited by JL; 05-29-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 02:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
United does have a close-in booking fee for non-elites, but tickets for October shouldn't trigger that and their web site says it should be about $38 per 1000 miles to buy them outright. Which gets you the large cost to buy miles, something that's generally not worth it unless you're just short of a premium cabin international ticket or something, and isn't good for a domestic route that is usually pretty inexpensive to begin with

As for the 37k pricing, it sounds like one way of the trip is available at saver award pricing 12.5k miles) but the other way only has standard award seats left (25k miles for that one way) if you have date flexibility, use that option to search award flight and it will give you a calendar with economy saver flight availability noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel