Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,141 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about joining United's Mileage Plus loyalty program. Is it worth it? I'm not a frequent traveler but now that my daughter lives across the country I probably will be. Are there any other airlines with similar/better programs?

In that same vein, would an airline loyalty program be better/worse/same as a credit card that offers mileage rewards such as the Capitol One Venture card? Any difference among credit card programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:45 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
I prefer Delta, but you should focus on the loyalty program for the airline that best meets your travel patterns. For example, if I flew mostly Chicago or Washington DC flights, I would (reluctantly) focus on United, since those are United hub cities. In any case, you should definitely join an airline program regardless of what card you get, since joining is free.

The credit card question is little more difficult. Cards with transferable points typically make more sense, but based on your spending habits, travel patterns and loyalty programs, it can make sense to get a transferable "points" card, an airline rewards card, or both.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
I see United as a mediocre airline with an excellent frequent flyer program. Back in the early 00s when the frequent flyer program was the only profitable part of the company, they got rather addicted to selling miles to pretty much any third party reseller willing to pay. While all the airlines seem to have shopping portals these days, United also has shopping apps, deals with market research companies, etc. that let you earn a good number of miles with them without buying plane tickets. I'm closing in on 100K miles 'for free' with them without buying a ticket from them or having their co-branded credit card. (Good for 4 round trips in the 48 States if you can find Saver redemption levels, but I'm currently saving up for some overseas possibilities)

Southwest- if you can make their route map work (I have serious issues with their scheduling when starting at the local airports they serve) they've got good non-flight earning options and are often more pleasant than United. The down side is that the price you pay in points for an award flight with Southwest is linked to current cash prices on the flights you're searching. All the programs earn you miles at roughly the same rate. We've discovered if we need to make a last minute trip for family on the other side of the country, Delta will be about 25K-30K miles and about $10 in fees; United will be 25K miles, a slightly wonky routing and a $80 close-in booking fee; and then Southwest will be something like 55K-60K points because their cheap tickets sold out for that flight long ago.

Delta is my preferred US airline when I'm on a cash ticket because they seem to be better at fixing things that go wrong, but they are tighter with opportunities to earn outside of flying and the obligatory online shopping portal.

Delta miles don't expire; Southwest and United expire after something like two years on no account activity. You can generate the necessary account activity without flying with them (shopping portal, market research survey, points purchase, and a dozen more ways)

Do sign up for the frequent flyer program- no reason not to, and you can get better credit card offers than the general public gets on their branded credit cards. Delta had a targeted credit card offer at the end of last year that was 75K miles (3 round trip domestic flights) if you got the card and spent something like $4000 on it over the first three months you had it.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have a lot of international mileage on UA, and 2 cards for over 30 yrs, but... seldom use them. Also have Delta (mileage and cards) but use them even less.

I use my SWA all the time, and they frequently have very good rates for points (<6000pts one way)

Last yr we were out of USA on a RTW trip and we used our SWA card, (and built a rental house too) which we ended up qualifying for FREE buddy pass for 18 months!!! Yup... $5.60 companion fares for 18 months (We travel every week, 28 flights so far this yr. )

\Also use a Fidelity Investments card (mileage transferable to all / any airline OR a cash refund with extra perks if you apply your cash back to a fidelity investment. )

Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
Signed up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve when they still had the 100K miles sign up. Eventually ended up with 130K miles, spent 115K of that on a one way flight from Paris to Dulles in business class for my wife and I.

I signed up for United Mileage Explorer Card because I got offered a 70K miles promotion, it's not widespread but I figure I'd jump on it. So I have about 31,000 miles now, plus the 70 brings me back up to over 100K. Not sure how I plan on using that at the moment, it's definitely enough to fly economy one way for my wife and I. I do want to sign up for the Preferred and my wife freaks out b/c I have all these cards, but my thing is...the $ is going to be spent anyway so why not get some value out of it?

OP I would definitely see where you're at in the country and figure out if it's a United hub, Delta hub, etc. I've never had an issue with United Airlines, flying domestically or internationally. Honestly, I think United has the best mileage program out there. If you're flying internationally, being a Star Alliance carrier is huge.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
You've gotten great advice, particularly with everyone suggesting that this depends on your anticipated travel patterns. But Beachmouse broke it down really well...of course there are more airlines including Jetblue and AA (with continued changes to United's program I would claim AA and United are about even now) If you are willing to be more specific about you and your daughter's locations then we could suggest best routes.

I personally would really vouch for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards, but then again I come from the perspective of a frequent traveler so their fees are more than worthwhile to me. If you read some of the bloggers you will find in-depth breakdowns which might be useful in determining which of those travel cards could be suitable for your amount of traveling. I know Amex has a pretty well-regarded program as does Capitol One.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:05 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You've gotten great advice, particularly with everyone suggesting that this depends on your anticipated travel patterns. But Beachmouse broke it down really well...of course there are more airlines including Jetblue and AA (with continued changes to United's program I would claim AA and United are about even now) If you are willing to be more specific about you and your daughter's locations then we could suggest best routes.

I personally would really vouch for the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards, but then again I come from the perspective of a frequent traveler so their fees are more than worthwhile to me. If you read some of the bloggers you will find in-depth breakdowns which might be useful in determining which of those travel cards could be suitable for your amount of traveling. I know Amex has a pretty well-regarded program as does Capitol One.
The points guy is well versed in all of this, but the man seemingly has an unlimited budget when it comes to traveling so I'm never going to be on that level, nor do I aspire to be. But yeah, he's good at breaking down what the hot cards are right now.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

most points programs (as fliers) are now based on $ spent rather than distance traveled, so.... if you are a BIG spender, then you can fly in Business / first class and get premier levels,

For 'Points via card / spending' follow the promotions. (and realize there are preferred times to get your card (annual promotions)

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm thinking about joining United's Mileage Plus loyalty program. Is it worth it?
It's free. There is no downside.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's free. There is no downside.
OP was asking about CC. UA has annual fee (not all do) some (not UA) offer annual companion pass perk (AK),

A mileage card that is not specific to any one airline usually does NOT have a fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel