Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 01:54 PM

212 posts, read 156,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I agree. I did that once in London and once in Amsterdam and have since decided that I'll never do that again. They weren't outright horrible, but it just felt really uneasy and awkward.

Well I'm still within that age range but I honestly feel like I have used up all the "hostel quota" in my life lmao. Sometimes it's fine, and I've met some cool/cute/sweet people, but a lot of the times it's just ****ing painful. I once stayed in one in Florence, in summer, and there was no AC. It was one of the worst experiences in my entire life. I also stayed at hostels in Venice and Rome and they were both such disasters as well. There were always people snoring like ****ing elephants. Like I've had enough. Next time I'm traveling I'll get somewhere private, if it's too expensive then I'd just stay in.
You are reminding me of the first European hostel I stayed in! In July many years ago, I stayed in a hostel in Barcelona. No AC. Just a fan. The room had maybe 10 people in it. I was never comfortable sleeping at night. Everyone was sweaty and the room always smelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
except for when people would fart or have sex while I'm in there
Either is fine, it's when happening at same time is where I draw the line.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Either is fine, it's when happening at same time is where I draw the line.
LOL you are more reasonable than me.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsinSnow View Post
You are reminding me of the first European hostel I stayed in! In July many years ago, I stayed in a hostel in Barcelona. No AC. Just a fan. The room had maybe 10 people in it. I was never comfortable sleeping at night. Everyone was sweaty and the room always smelled.
I remember entering the room when I got there, it was like midnight as my flight arrived in pretty late, and I was completely horrified. It was suffocating.

I just don't understand how a country like freakin' Italy can have so many places without AC. It's beyond ridiculous. There were even Mcdonald's without AC. Sweden or Russia I can get, but Italy? Seriously?

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I remember entering the room when I got there, it was like midnight as my flight arrived in pretty late, and I was completely horrified. It was suffocating.

I just don't understand how a country like freakin' Italy can have so many places without AC. It's beyond ridiculous. There were even Mcdonald's without AC. Sweden or Russia I can get, but Italy? Seriously?
I guess to them many grew up with no AC so it's not essential to have it. However add that in with a number of bodies in a dorm, it's a sweatshop in there. When I was a teen my mom and I were in Italy in July or August during a major heat wave. The hotels had AC. I remember showering in the morning before we got on the tour bus, after whatever attraction we did, going back into the room and showering again, joining the group for dinner, and then showering again. LOL.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We have found that Key West, Fl. has out priced itself out of our semi-year vacation budget. Prices of Hotels have doubled and in some instances tripled over the last 5 yrs. Greed has taken over & outside investors are trying to transform KW into a "family destination".
Sadly I have to agree. I go there 2-4 times a year (I live in Miami), and I have watched this place become as you described.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:

I had a hotel room like that in Italy. It was part on the Ambassador chain near a large park, but I don't remember the city. It was a corner room w/o AC. When I called the front desk, they told me to open the windows and the cross breeze was the AC.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
I did the same with airbnb and thought it was awful.
Interesting. I think if you are very concerned about privacy, or you don't like talking to strangers then airbnb is not a good choice. Since I like it, I have a lot of good cheap options in London.

Also, there is nothing I hate more than dormitory rooms. The last time I stayed in a dormitory room was 5 years ago, and it wasn't my choice. They are smelly, I have to cover up when changing or taking a shower, I can't relax and I can't share bed with my wife. The worst part is, they are not even that cheap.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Regarding 'no AC in the room' thing, it's actually a common thing outside of US. Some countries have government regulations regarding when hotels can turn on AC or heater for energy conservation reason. A lot of hotel rooms in UK don't even have AC - especially those that were converted from old residential buildings to hotels.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Interesting. I think if you are very concerned about privacy, or you don't like talking to strangers then airbnb is not a good choice. Since I like it, I have a lot of good cheap options in London.

Also, there is nothing I hate more than dormitory rooms. The last time I stayed in a dormitory room was 5 years ago, and it wasn't my choice. They are smelly, I have to cover up when changing or taking a shower, I can't relax and I can't share bed with my wife. The worst part is, they are not even that cheap.
If you're with your wife then hostels are certainly the worst choice possible. Like hunny get a room lol.

I'm not really concerned about privacy, at least not for a few nights. I stayed at hostels quite often in Europe and I usually don't mind them if they function properly (AC, clean sheets etc.) and the roommates don't snore too much. I don't mind random chitchats with strangers unless I'm in a bad mood, and when I'm travelling I'm usually in a good mood.

The problem with sharing the apartment/condo with an airbnb host is that we can't even be loud or get drunk, it's like staying at a stranger's house (well it is staying at a stranger's house), as the hosts are often at least twice my age, I have nothing to talk about with them. At hostels at least you can have some fun around the general area, even though the self-proclaimed hippies could be annoying and there are like millions of them backpacking in Europe.

If it's a single studio then I'd be fine with it.

Quote:
Regarding 'no AC in the room' thing, it's actually a common thing outside of US. Some countries have government regulations regarding when hotels can turn on AC or heater for energy conservation reason. A lot of hotel rooms in UK don't even have AC - especially those that were converted from old residential buildings to hotels.
Well it's certainly not a common thing in Asia. I'm still stunned by how absolutely abysmal Italy is in terms of technology. Not only is AC rare, the internet is also absolutely horrible.

Last edited by Greysholic; 06-05-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel