Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM

68 posts, read 62,062 times

Advertisements

1. Anywhere that involves flying, whether I pay or not
2. Any City. I prefer nature
3. Anywhere more than a days drive we generally won't go
4. Anywhere it might be possible to feel claustrophobic

We prefer to remain close to home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 PM

189 posts, read 177,659 times
We won't go anywhere that involves:

1. Large cities. Don't like large crowds...masses of humanity.
2, Cold weather or snow.
3. Tourist traps.

Will ALWAYS go anywhere that involves:

1. Warm weather.
2. The Ocean (warm water)
3. Palm trees

Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 PM

11,022 posts, read 6,568,828 times
I wouldn't go to ANY country that kills endangered animals JUST for certain body parts that they are convinced will help with their sexual performance, which they are totally obsessed with.

Rhino horn, elephant tusks, bear gall bladder, tiger parts, throwing live sharks back in the water after cutting off their fins. You know who they are. No way. Whale-killing countries.

Also the ones notorious for sexual trafficking.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 PM

251 posts, read 244,886 times
This is a topic my husband and I talk about in depth when considering travel. It seems like the more research we do the more horrified we become. So, what works for us is to search out places/people/accommodations that share our values.

There are a few countries that are flat out off the list due to horrific human and animal rights violations, trafficking, etc.

We will never go on a cruise, a floating germ addled poop ship? No thanks.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:33 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,503,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wouldn't go to ANY country that kills endangered animals JUST for certain body parts that they are convinced will help with their sexual performance, which they are totally obsessed with.

Rhino horn, elephant tusks, bear gall bladder, tiger parts, throwing live sharks back in the water after cutting off their fins. You know who they are. No way. Whale-killing countries.

Yeah me too. Actually many of these are the same countries.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,018,400 times
I won't go to any country for which the US does not have an Embassy and pretty normal diplomatic relationships. I won't go to a country where them embassy staff had had their families evacuated, or the families are not allowed or recommended to accompany them. No places like North Korea.

I won't go to a country with active war on-going. No Syria, etc. for me.

I won't go to a country where they dislike Americans enough to kill them to make their point. No Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan or Yemen for me.

I want to, but for now will not go to China as they likely stole US government employee information. My information was stolen, by whoever...and they likely would know what security related things I have worked on, so its just not a risk I want to take. So no China or Hong Kong for me.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:27 PM

212 posts, read 155,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Yes!! I agree too.

With the sex trafficking to me it's more about sex traffickers using kids. I know it's hip to go to Thailand but ever since I watched a documentary on how popular "black market" sex tourism is, I have wanted to throw up. Also they have all these elephant "sanctuaries" where you can ride them, but the people who work there mistreat them from what I have heard.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 PM

212 posts, read 155,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I won't stay in an Airbnb even if it's cheaper. I'd rather overpay for the hotel. I could probably do Airbnb in the states, but overseas? Forget it, too risky for me to do it.
I like Airbnb but in some cases I could see that. I booked a stay in Italy that got great reviews. I didn't realize in Florence that the geography of the streets would be as messed up (imo) and difficult to navigate as it was. It took me hours to find the apartment. When I had called the girl I was renting from, she spoke very limited English. When I eventually found it, I was waiting and waiting with my luggage. All I wanted to do was take a shower due to all the sweat on my back. I said it on a thread before but there are some drawbacks with Airbnb especially on the day you arrive or depart so it may be smarter in the end to book a hotel for this.I also would prefer the Airbnb rental where the key is already there but in a lockbox with a code that you get emailed to you. It's just super convenient without having to wait for someone.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 PM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I won't stay in an Airbnb even if it's cheaper. I'd rather overpay for the hotel. I could probably do Airbnb in the states, but overseas? Forget it, too risky for me to do it.
Wow, the only time I went to Europe I stayed in Airbnb in Amsterdam, Paris, and London, and it was great. Our own apartment in a real neighborhood, not a tourist area.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:43 PM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
We do the entire home rentals (although had a great experience renting a private room) but that thought has never crossed my mind. You usually never see them except at check in.
I loved my host in Amsterdam. He had one of those tall three-story/three-family buildings. He lived on the first floor, had a full-time tenant on the second, and rented the third through airbnb. There was an art postcard welcoming us, a bottle of wine, and a couple of chocolates waiting on the table when we got there.

It was a studio with a kitchen area and a bathroom. Very clean with updated appliances.

Paris was similar, except it was a young guy and it was obvious that he lived there and had a bag packed to go stay with friends while we lived in his place. It was also clean, and my daughter slept in a loft bed that she had to access with a ladder, while I slept on a pull-out futon in the living room. It was very safe. A code to get in the gate to the courtyard, a key to get in the building, and another key for the apartment.

London was a little different. There was a house with about eight bedrooms. The owner had a representative living there who welcomed us and showed us everything. My daughter and I each had our own room and our own bathroom, but there was a common kitchen and living room area that everyone who stayed there would use--but we were the only ones there. There was construction going on across the street on a nice new condo building, and it was apparent that the area was gentrifying, and there was a large park at the end of the street where we saw workmen doing the lawn and sprucing up the trees during the day and we saw foxes in there at night.

I have to give the credit to my daughter, though, who has traveled to and lived on the other side of the world. She had also used hostels, but I am too old for that, so she checked out the airbnb properties, asked questions, and examined reviews before she booked. Until then, I would have just found a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel