Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 AM

344 posts, read 245,003 times

Advertisements

Some very interesting replies here. Tells you a lot about people. Me, I'd go just about anywhere. I have had to readjust my "list" - I won't go to any places that are or possibly are dangerous - Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. Doesn't mean I don't want to go; I'll just have to wait until (hopefully one day) it's safe. I love meeting new people and seeing how they live, eating different food, etc. I've been to some great places in the world and will keep on traveling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 12:51 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Iceland - Too cold year round, even during the summer temperatures are 15C, not the sort of vacation I want

Hawaii - Kinda scared of the wildlife there. Particularly these things

England - Awful food. When a fish stick with some fries is your biggest source of culinary pride, you know you have it rough. English cuisine is truly one of the most disgusting things in the world. I guess traveling to England is a good option if you want to lose weight tho

Old 06-11-2017, 04:12 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
I don't go to places that lack natural or architectural beauty, i.e. Midwestern and Southern US, northern Germany, Central Africa, coastal China, etc.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Really, I have very little desire to travel anywhere outside the US. I think we will take one trip to Europe, because it's on the bucket list, but that's about it. I don't like strange food, and I'm uncomfortable if I don't speak the language, and most of world hates Americans now, so I'll just stay home.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

England - Awful food. When a fish stick with some fries is your biggest source of culinary pride, you know you have it rough. English cuisine is truly one of the most disgusting things in the world. I guess traveling to England is a good option if you want to lose weight tho
I'm just back from the U.K. And have to say a lot of the food there has moved beyond the old stereotypes with much emphasis on fresh and local and on good ice cream. Just avoid the ubiquitous celly-wrapped squishy sandwiches, which I think most Brits buy out of childhood nostalgia (if you find yourself in a place where the only food option there leans that way, go for the toasted panini option). I think the only reason why I didn't gain weight there was from 7-10 miles of walking a day. Granted there are still some restaurant dogs but you can also eat quite well for $10-15 per person per meal at current exchange rates.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I avoid:

1. Places involved with human trafficking and human rights abuses.
2. Places which celebrate or condone cruelty to animals.
3. Anyplace in a war zone
4. Deserts/dry climates--just too bizarre walking/driving around and not seeing trees/water/greenery all over. It's also scary as F if you get lost in a hot desert.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 PM

285 posts, read 225,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
most of world hates Americans now, so I'll just stay home.
That's a common misconception.

I've been to Singapore, Thailand, and Japan, and I didn't encounter anyone who "hates Americans." In fact, most of the people I came across were very polite.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
France and Belgium would be Germany 2x if not for the lose of many USSnot all of them have forgotten that!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I can't think of anyplace I wouldn't go. Perhaps a resort/gated community, they type they have in Jamaica and Nassau and the like. I'd be bored to death. I wouldn't go on a cruise either, except to the arctic.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I don't go to places that lack natural or architectural beauty, i.e. Midwestern and Southern US, northern Germany, Central Africa, coastal China, etc.
There is definitely lots of natural beauty in the Southern and Midwestern U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
and most of world hates Americans now, .

Nothing could be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel