Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 520 times

Advertisements

Omg my son is planning on taking a long camper from Michigan to Vegas with a denally truck full of kids and has never done anything like this before!!! Just got the camper and has driven it about ten times help us with the best info please!!! He plans in taking 70 all the way there due to his wife's dying mother!!!

Help if you can

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:04 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Thomason View Post
Omg my son is planning on taking a long camper from Michigan to Vegas with a denally truck full of kids and has never done anything like this before!!! Just got the camper and has driven it about ten times help us with the best info please!!! He plans in taking 70 all the way there due to his wife's dying mother!!!
And this has you concerned?

I loaded a 3.5 old and a 10 month old in to a 4Runner towing a camper that I had just bought, never having used a camper before, for a month long road trip where we visited 8 National Parks. It was hard at times, but it was the best trip I think I've ever taken.

He'll be just fine.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-10-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Thomason View Post
taking a long camper from Michigan to Vegas with a Denaili truck full of kids
He plans in taking 70 all the way there

help us with the best info please!
I'd suggest the I-80 route as far as Denver.
either way... Google calls that 30 hours behind the wheel. LINK

Are there any other adults to share the driving load?
How many days is he allowing for the journey?

@ 8 hrs rolling per day that's 4 days rolling (plus camping set up, fuel/food & rest stops).
I'd suggest a layover day at a motel with a pool after the first two days.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Unless 'camping' is the goal for the trip, I would cop motel rooms along the way; none have to be pre booked as every town has them by the dozen and near dinner time/stopping time, one can grab one off their smart phone.

I-70/I-80 is a toss up, imo.

I would leave the 'camper' in the driveway and load it up and go...

+1 with SkyDog77 above: Son, DIL are adults and this is not exactly Lewis & Clark stuff.
Hope Son, DIL, Kids get to see other Mom before...
GL, mD

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I-70 between Denver and Vail will require him to go up and down two mountain passes. If his brakes aren't great and his mountain driving skills are lacking drop down and take I-40, it will add a couple hours.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
"Mountain driving skills"? These are interstate highways, not local 2 lane roads. What "skill" does it take to set the cruise control? To use an accelerator pedal?

The scenery is also gorgeous.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
"Mountain driving skills"? These are interstate highways, not local 2 lane roads. What "skill" does it take to set the cruise control? To use an accelerator pedal?

The scenery is also gorgeous.
You clearly don't live here and see the daily accidents from people burning up their brakes, driving too fast, cutting off Semis and in general being uneducated about mountain driving. Interstates are not all equal.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 AM

You can see daily accidents everywhere. No points for that. Cutting off semis? Everywhere. No points there. Driving too fast? Try New England for a taste of that. Burning up brakes? Give you a point there because of the lengths involved, although run-away truck lanes are common back east, too. Ever drive the Appalachians? All one needs to know is how to downshift and use engine braking.

I think you're using a bit of a scare tactic. Don't know why. But you sure don't give people much credit for common sense and rudimentary driving skills. You seem to base your fears on the outliers that you find everywhere.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
You can see daily accidents everywhere. No points for that. Cutting off semis? Everywhere. No points there. Driving too fast? Try New England for a taste of that. Burning up brakes? Give you a point there because of the lengths involved, although run-away truck lanes are common back east, too. Ever drive the Appalachians? All one needs to know is how to downshift and use engine braking.

I think you're using a bit of a scare tactic. Don't know why. But you sure don't give people much credit for common sense and rudimentary driving skills. You seem to base your fears on the outliers that you find everywhere.
Bolded line is my point. I grew up in New England and am very familiar with your driving techniques. It's not a scare tactic just a fact that people who have never towed a camper before get up the Eisenhower, tend to ride their brakes coming down and are unprepared to come down Vail pass. We have vehicle fires once or twice a week because of people with no common sense.

I'm not basing any fear on outliers that are everywhere, I am giving specific facts for the area I live in and the things I deal with daily. Come live here for a while and then you can comment from experience.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Come live here for a while
Thanks for the invite, but I'm happy where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel