Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 AM

214 posts, read 330,011 times

Advertisements

I have only ever travelled on economy, and I don't have much of a problem with it considering it's a lot cheaper. I suppose the one issue, if any, would be the lack of extra space and comfort which is afforded to you in the better classes. How would you compare the jump in quality from economy to the better classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The only time I haven't flown economy was when I was given a free upgrade to business class. Business class certainly allows one a lot more legroom and more choice of entrees when meals are served on international flights. On domestic flights business class still offers meals when economy class doesn't.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
We had a related topic on this just the other month:

//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...rnational.html

I've mentioned several times - you can have all the space and comfort you want on a flight when you pay the bucks, but in the end you are still traveling in a stuffy metal tube.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
OP, the biggest difference between international business class and economy class is that in most international business class these days the passenger is seated in an individual "pod" in a seat that can fold completely flat to become a bed. (A narrow bed, though, and not long enough for really tall people to fully stretch out.) So mostly it comes down to how well you sleep on a plane in economy class. I can't manage to sleep at all in economy class, so business class is a huge improvement for me. Folks who can manage to sleep comfortably in economy class may not find the improvement worth paying for.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:54 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
It is not easy, but all we fly is economy. Two things make it doable and endurable. On long flights, more than four or so hours, get up and make a circuit or two around the plane. At least as far as the 'curtains' will allow. Several times during a 9+ hour flight. Second, we are neither big, 5'9", 160 lbs and 5'5", 130lbs. Can't imagine being 6'+ and or 250lbs.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
I've only flown business/first class on miles or from airline status upgrades. I'd never pay the full fare for it (well, not at my current income level). Yes, I've been cramped into economy seats on 14 hour flights to Asia and it sucked, but not to the tune of $2K+.

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 06-13-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Economy all the way and just suffer through it.

If the business class cost $100 more, I'd pay it, but it is not $100 more. There is a very substantial cost difference.

Everything about flying is miserable, starting with the parking lot, the long lines, the over-crowded terminals with bumping and shoving. The long distances to walk between gates. Babies screaming becasue the air pressure hurts their ears. The high priced and poor quality food. I paid $8 for a bottle of water at Chicago airport in the international airport; serious price gouging.

The line to get onto the plane, the long wait to get off of the plane, all of it is miserable. Some more leg room on the plane would make at least part of the journey more bearable, but I refuse to cough up the extra cash.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I only fly economy. The only way I'd fly business or first (or economy plus, which is a disgraceful attempt to sucker more money out of us) is if I got a free (or dirt cheap) upgrade or wasn't personally paying for my ticket.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:09 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I travel the cheapest way possible. The traveling part is the least important part of my vacation to me and that way I have more to spend when I get there.

I don't need a lot of "fussing over" and actually prefer to be left alone unless I ask for help. I don't have a "first class mentality" and think I'd find myself a bit embarrassed to be sitting in that section. (Now at the dining table, that's another story.)

If I had all the money in the world, I'd probably still travel the cheapest way possible. It's just not an issue.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,791,532 times
It also depends on the airline that you fly. Economy flights on the top tier airlines are not as expensive you you might think. For example, you can fly from New York to Athens or Milan on Emirates airline for less than $500 a person. The service that you will get the plane will be top notch, the seats are comfortable, and you get amenities like a pillow and blanket, the food is more that just edible, it's good. While it would be nice to be able to fly an airline like that business or first class, it is nice knowing that you can actually look forward to the flight itself. I have flown Emirates twice to Milan and the only complaint I have is that the flight wasn't long enough. I'll be taking them from Dubai to New York later this year and I am as excited about the flight as I am about my destination.

I would generally recommend foreign carriers for long haul flights but you need to be careful as some of them are as miserable as our domestic carriers. Make sure you do your research so that you have a good idea of what you are getting into when you fly a certain airline, and make sure to check for code shares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel