Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 PM

146 posts, read 116,210 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My fiancée and I are going to Northern Italy for our honeymoon (round trip from NYC to/from Milan). We are leaving August 19th for Milan, returning home (with long layover in Paris) Labor Day weekend. We want to visit Tuscany, Venice, Lake Garda, etc....and maybe throw a few days in for Greece. We've been to south Italy before, but don't know much about the Tuscany region and what towns/hotels to stay. We both know crowds will be large. Florence for a day may be nice....but outside of that we are looking to spend a good 4 or 5 days out and about the Tuscan countryside.

My question is...........where in particular is an ideal part of Tuscany to visit/stay. What cities, sites, etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 PM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
I'm not familiar with Tuscany but keep in mind that mid-late August is when many things are closed down for vacation in Italy, outside of typical tourist attractions, so you may need to factor that into your research.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
If you like art, Florence is good for 2-3 days. The Uffizi, which is the museum that holds the art collection of the Medici dukes is worth a day by itself.

Arezzo is worth a day, as is Siena. Both have great town squares (piazza). If it is convenient, going to Greve in Chianti is worth it on market day.

The absolute best food in Tuscany, bar none, can be found at Il Canto del Maggio. It is rural, so you will need a car to get there, but worth every penny.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM

Pisa worth a drive? I hear besides the building nothing much going on there.

We want to spend a good 4 or 5 days in the Tuscany region. Trying to avoid the August crowds. Most likely renting a car when we are in that region............

Old 06-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Also....we would like to stay in a nice Villa. Somewhere central (secluded as well) where we can drive to the destinations we plan to see. Any suggestions??

Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Had you started your quest earlier you might have been able to get into an UNTOURS stay, but it looks like they are booked at the times you stipulate. Maybe you have some flexibility?

Untours European Vacation Rentals - Vacation Packages in Italy - Tuscany

Untours sets up your location - villa, apartment, farmhouse whatever, for lodging, gives you maps and gets you oriented and then off you go. But, they have set dates for the use of the properties as one would expect.

Still, you might check with them to see if there is the possibility of your making arrangements through them. Maybe there is a cancellation. Maybe they can steer you toward another available vineyard /apartment/farmhouse in hopes of you using their service in the future. Maybe you can arrange your visit to be in Tuscany when Untours has an available slot?? Won't hurt to try.

As far as I have researched, they are reputable. When I go to Italy next year, I will be going with UNTOURS. I have a first hand review from a good friend who did an Italy trip with some friends through Untours and she loved it. I think they went to Umbria.

Here's some info:

WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS UNTOUR?
The Italy - Tuscany Untour Includes:
One or two weeks in a farmhouse apartment, often on a working vineyard with stunning countryside views.
Suggestions for booking your international flight from the U.S. to Florence, or we can purchase tickets on your behalf. (Click for more information on Untours' air policies.)
Airport meeting upon your arrival (set arrival time only) and assistance with your rental car pick-up and transfer to your apartment. (Or detailed instructions that allow you to reach your apartment independently with ease.)
Car rental, with unlimited mileage and basic insurance, for the duration of your Untour.
An orientation with our acclaimed local staff person, who is full of excellent recommendations for your sight seeing, practical advice on driving and parking, and a listing of local events happening during your stay.
A comprehensive driving map, local information, plus our own Untouring Tuscany guidebook, researched and written by Untours staff, full of the best restaurants, sightseeing, and other suggestions.
A local cultural activity, like a luncheon and a guided tour of a local abbey.
Use of an Untours cell phone while on location.
A stash of groceries upon your arrival, so you don’t need to shop right away.
Pre-trip planning advice from our staff, available by phone or email right up until you leave.
Ongoing support with our local representative. Help available when you need it.

I've used a similar service in Spain several years in a row, but for study at their universities, and it is an amazing service to have everything ready for you when you arrive. The costs IMHO are reasonable.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
Pisa worth a drive? I hear besides the building nothing much going on there.
Skip it. Unless you spend a few weeks in the area and have a day you want to write off, it isn't worth it.

Quote:
We want to spend a good 4 or 5 days in the Tuscany region. Trying to avoid the August crowds. Most likely renting a car when we are in that region............
A car will allow you to visit the small towns I listed. Worth it. The exception is visiting Florence (Firenze). Parking is tough, so you want to goto a train station near wherever you stay and take the train into town. Important, get off at the Firenze Santa Maria Novella (SMN) station, not any other station. SMN is within walking distance of the museums, restaurants and other sites of the historical city.

The towns I mentioned would make a decent 5 day stay in the area. I am sure there are other wonderful sites as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybaggs View Post
Also....we would like to stay in a nice Villa. Somewhere central (secluded as well) where we can drive to the destinations we plan to see. Any suggestions??
I stay with family, so I can be of limited help on this topic. The restaurant I mentioned above also has rooms. It is definitely secluded with a view from the top of a hill. The owner is restoring the old manor house, and the review sites rate it highly. I have never stayed there, but if his dedication to lodging is anything like his dedication to food it will be wonderful.

A word on car insurance. The LDW insurance most credit cards give you is void in Italy. You need to take the coverage offered by the rental agency, or you will be uninsured. Check with your normal company to see what they will cover. Italian driving is interesting. Not the worst I have seen, but the speeds are high, and customs are different. Lane dividers tend to be viewed as suggestions rather than mandates, so drivers act like PacMan devouring the dots.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Lucca, San Gimignano, Sienna and their surrounding areas are all very nice, and if you check VBRO.com, TripAdvisor,com, Homeaway.com or Airbnb.com you can see listings for various villa and apartment rentals throughout Tuscany. Or, just google the name of the city plus vacation rental -- i.e. "Lucca vacation rentals" and you'll find agencies who specialize in rentals.

This site is also good for getting an overview of different areas in Tuscany:

https://www.discovertuscany.com/

And a tip: My daughter and her new husband just returned from their honeymoon from Ireland. Usually, they like to book everything themselves when they travel, but they realized that they were going to be SO busy and stressed right before the wedding, so they opted to work with a travel agent who specialized in Ireland. The agent set everything up for them with hotels, recommendations for things to see, even a tour guide for Dublin. They had a fabulous, stress-free trip that way, and stayed in and saw places they would have never found on their own, so you might want to consider something similar for your honeymoon in Italy.

A quick google search turned up this article, which might be worth a read:

The Best Travel Agencies for an Italy Honeymoon | Italy Honeymoon

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and happy honeymoon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel