Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Teetotalers, or Drunks. Both can be insufferable.
Unless the non drinker is preachy about it, why would that be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Unless the non drinker is preachy about it, why would that be a problem?
Because either practice can be carried to extreme...
At least the non-drinker option is not dangerous...

Old 06-21-2017, 06:34 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
If you want a good trip why would you invite another couple with kids to go with you? I traveled once with a couple with no kids and it was a disaster. People have their habits. You never know people until you travel with them....

Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
#3 is kind of the experience we had with our friends too. I think there was far too much expectation that we'd be together forever
I got annoyed at the fact that we were all going to the same place, so why is it that we can't walk together? That's kinda when I had enough and told my wife we're going off on our own.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:09 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I hate doing everything, "by committee ". This always seems to happen when we've travelled with people, so we don't do it.
We have old friends we like, who travel a lot. If we planned a trip and asked them to go, they probably would. We avoid mentioning it for fear that on our vacation, we would lose flexibility to do what we want, when we want.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
My parents. They are scared of everything. It's really annoying. Travelling with family in general is just less fun, I can't stay out late at night or go to a gay district or get drunk etc.

Also, I once travelled with a guy to Berlin who's one of the most annoying people I've ever met. So ignorant yet so self-righteous. He's also really nationalistic, kept talking about how great the UK is. "We have the best passport in the world!!!" blahblah($&@$%$(&@. Like shut the **** up you idiot.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
I once did Disney with my whole family. We were all trying to do everything together and it was a disaster. The bulk of the group wanted to wait in line for big rides and roller coasters. I do not ride most rides and definitely not roller coasters. I enjoy all the shops, shows, and character events. I tagged along for the first three days because they said they would fit some of my stuff in, but day 4 I threw a fit and said no more. The only part of Disney I was seeing was the bench waiting for everyone to get off the ride while i was holding everyone's stuff.

So then my bf at the time was throwing a fit because he didn't want to do my thing either. I could not go alone because I could not take a car because we only had 2 and needed both to haul everyone. I just said never again. I only do family trips if there is not expectation of hanging out the entire time.

The one enjoyable night was when I took my kids and bf to Epcot and drank around the countries. That was it. The rest of the week was a nightmare.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I have to say that over the years I've met around 60 people from the same forum in the US and Canada, and never had a problem; that was the only occasion I ever felt uncomfortable, and it's made me a little bit more cautious about how well I know people before meeting them. Thankfully, she gradually faded away from the online forum, and doesn't post there anymore.
I haven't met in-person 60 people online but we have connected with some. The last one left a bad taste in my mouth.

It was an older couple, sweet as sugar pie. Friendly, talkative, though mainly about themselves. The husbands had aviation in common, so that was okay.

Though they talked a lot about their fabulous life, I listened attentively and got the feeling they were actually living hand-to-mouth in an apartment, maybe subsidized low-income housing. That's okay too -- some people don't have a lot of money when they retire -- but when I mentioned being interested in buying one of the beachfront houses in the area, there was a chill.

We parted amicably enough but when I returned home I found she had been viciously trashing us online.

Next time before agreeing to meet up with someone I will make sure it isn't a person who's prone to envy.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Vacations are about getting from it all, friends and relatives are part of " it all."
I was just about to say that. When you provide the space and have "guests" you don't get a vacation. Entertaining is work. Vacation is the two of us. We have even found out there is no vacation for us when we invite our grown children's families. After spending a week with anyone, you want to twist their heads off. Most people are selfish no matter what they think.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I was just about to say that. When you provide the space and have "guests" you don't get a vacation. Entertaining is work. Vacation is the two of us. We have even found out there is no vacation for us when we invite our grown children's families. After spending a week with anyone, you want to twist their heads off. Most people are selfish no matter what they think.
Entertaining IS work. My favorite guests are those who know what they want to do, include us if we want, or go without us if we don't, then come back for dinner to tell about their day. We live in a touristy area and we have no desire to resee the same things over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel