Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Even if you are very tidy, a maid has to do her/his routine which involves:
washing the shower surround/bathtub
the bathroom floor
the toilet
the counter
the sink
empty and change the garbage pails
change the towels/face cloths
dust the furniture
change the bedding
vacuum the whole room

So even if you are clean, it makes no difference. This is all time consuming, hard work and she still has to do it. A $5 tip could buy her kids milk.

First of all, I said I leave a tip. Secondly, those things are part of her job. We are getting to the point where every minimum wage (and beyond) person needs a tip, has a tip jar out in front of the register, etc. instead of an employer paying someone living wage.

My sister also made minimum wage until very recently and she never got any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I tip a few dollars per day for hotel stays, but really, cleaning toilets is part of the job description. It's not going over and above what is expected. I'm certainly not minimizing what they do but there are plenty of jobs where people work just as hard or harder, i.e. PSW's who make a low wage relative to what they do, but they arent getting tipped for their daily services. I tip for good service, not for the basics of what is exoected in a job description.
Out of curiosity, do you tip baggage handlers, bell boys, taxi drivers?

Just saying, it SEEMS people get more annoyed about expected tips in traditionally female jobs than traditionally male jobs. I never see threads where people rant about being expected to tip cab drivers and others I mentioned, and I wonder why.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Just saying, it SEEMS people get more annoyed about expected tips in traditionally female jobs than traditionally male jobs. I never see threads where people rant about being expected to tip cab drivers and others I mentioned, and I wonder why.
$1 a bag for baggage handlers at the airport, 20% for taxi drivers (same as waiters), haven't seen a bell hop in years, but would do the $1 a bag thing as well, I imagine.

For hotel cleaning staff, $3-5 each morning when I/we leave so that the person doing the work gets it (leaving a big tip at end of stay might miss the person/people who did the work for four of the five days). That amount depends on what is needed - we are pretty neat, so often it is just taking/leaving towels and perhaps trash/recycling.

But I also make sure to bring a dozen donuts to my mechanic when I drop off for service (small shop, only three guys there and, frankly, Bob could get by opting for fruit instead of another long john). They notice and I suspect this has resulted in open slots for service that would not have been available otherwise.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
$1 a bag for baggage handlers at the airport, 20% for taxi drivers (same as waiters), haven't seen a bell hop in years, but would do the $1 a bag thing as well, I imagine.

For hotel cleaning staff, $3-5 each morning when I/we leave so that the person doing the work gets it (leaving a big tip at end of stay might miss the person/people who did the work for four of the five days). That amount depends on what is needed - we are pretty neat, so often it is just taking/leaving towels and perhaps trash/recycling.

But I also make sure to bring a dozen donuts to my mechanic when I drop off for service (small shop, only three guys there and, frankly, Bob could get by opting for fruit instead of another long john). They notice and I suspect this has resulted in open slots for service that would not have been available otherwise.
That's good. I was curious about the poster who didn't leave maids tips based on principle that it's part of their job, when all these other people we tip all the time are also just doing what's in their job description. It seems many people have their own subconscious rules they apply to who does and doesn't "deserve" a tip.

My brother and my nephew are both auto mechanics, so I always give some cash when I pay and ask them to give it to whoever worked on my car. Donuts are a good idea though!

I tip baggage handlers probably too much, because I worry about my luggage, lol.

I myself have worked tip jobs (I was a Domino's driver back in the 30-minutes or free Wild West days) and I think as a rule people who have worked tip jobs tend to tip more.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:

I already indicated that I do tip a few dollars a day for staying in a hotel. I've rarely used a bellboy/baggage handler/taxi but have always tipped as well. My point was in response to someone itemizing everything a maid does as if those tasks are exceptional as opposed to her job description.

And this has nothing to do with gender.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:

I'm trying to think of the last time I used a cab, maybe Paris in 2014 and tipped around 10%. Travel circumstances are typically either self-drive (either our own car or a rental) or hauling the bags along ourselves on train or mass transit. And then declining help with bags at the hotel because, hey, I just managed to schlep my bags all the way across London by Tube on my own including switching trains at stations with only stairs at the transfer point, and I don't need help rolling my suitcase into the elevator and getting it to my room for the last 150 feet or so.

If I'm checking a bag for a flight, I do bag drop at the airline counter instead of out front. I figure one less point where it can go astray that way.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

Oh for heavens sake, gender has nothing to do with it. Although I do tip the house keepers, it has nothing to do with their gender, color, religion (as if I knew) or anything else. My guess is people who do not tip housekeepers probably are not the greatest tippers in the world anyway. BTW I have seen threads where people do rant about tipping taxi drivers, restaurant counter workers, delivery people, and others. It has gotten to the place where everyone has his/her hand out for a few extra bucks and it isn't a gender issue. Your statement does seem a little defensive if I do say so, myself.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:19 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
We usually leave $2-3 for the days they clean the room. However we aren't pigs so there's really not too much to clean up

Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We usually leave $2-3 for the days they clean the room. However we aren't pigs so there's really not too much to clean up
I'm not a pig either, and I never let them in if I'm there, but I am always going out to the housekeeper's cart to ask for more coffees and lotions and things. The time I left the biggest tip, my friends and I took one of the bedspreads to an outdoor concert to sit on, and it rained like crazy, and we left a soaked and mud-covered bedspread in the tub

Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
That's good. I was curious about the poster who didn't leave maids tips based on principle that it's part of their job, when all these other people we tip all the time are also just doing what's in their job description. It seems many people have their own subconscious rules they apply to who does and doesn't "deserve" a tip.

My brother and my nephew are both auto mechanics, so I always give some cash when I pay and ask them to give it to whoever worked on my car. Donuts are a good idea though!

I tip baggage handlers probably too much, because I worry about my luggage, lol.

I myself have worked tip jobs (I was a Domino's driver back in the 30-minutes or free Wild West days) and I think as a rule people who have worked tip jobs tend to tip more.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
Another factor is our biases. Someone who's had friends or family run a restaurant will of course have the belief that anyone who dine and dashes should be drugged onto the street and shot. Someone who's waited tables knows firsthand knows how tough it really is. Those who've worked in FF, ditto. Those who worked in department stores, ditto as well. Everyone will have their own ideas on what's "tough" vs. not. Society has dictated some norms, but b/c tips are by definition optional (and most certainly not written in law), they're appreciated, but not required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel