Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,142,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I left a nice note about how clean the room was and a $20 bill at our last stay which was about 13% of my bill, but I wasn't paying full rate and not tipping based on full rate. If the maid cursed me as a cheapskate I suspect she was still quick to tuck that $20 into her pocket.
How long was the stay? In my experience, room service tipping is based per day not percentage of room rate. I'll typically leave $5/day, each day. I typically leave the room pretty clean. I don't make the bed but all the trash will be in the trashcans and all the used towels in one pile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 PM

564 posts, read 446,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It may not have been the custom 35 years ago (I have no idea), but I believe it's customary these days, particularly in the US. Again, if someone has a source that advises otherwise, I'd be interested in reading it.
You mentioned what was customary 35 years ago. Good point. As I've aged I've kept up with some things, like computers. In other areas, not so much. It's quite possible tipping became more common over the years but I didn't realize it.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,329,475 times
I always tip during hotel stays, and am usually at the $5/night level. I do write a note, and thank the staff so that the tip is accepted for them. And, on one occasion, I gave the hotel maid $100 because she found a thumb drive that I had lost somewhere in the bed while working on something, one that had some pictures and other things on it that I thought were lost.

When I have traveled with groups, such as sports teams, or with other large groups, I was always told to tip properly by my parents. On one trip, when I was a chaperon, having been talked into going by a sibling, for my nephew's baseball team, I found my way through the concierge to the director of housekeeping to first compliment her staff, and then to make sure that each of them received a tip, since I know that the boys were not leaving tips, and a couple of the mothers and fathers I asked said that they didn't think that applied for group sales. I have taken care of it when I have traveled with the group, so I know that we're not among the dreaded teams that visit that hotel.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-26-2017, 01:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,457,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you are staying more than one night, it's best to tip everyday. The maid who cleans your room on the last day may not be the same maid that was cleaning your room during your stay.

Yes, makes sense. Next hotel stay I'll leave a daily note and tip.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 1,665,003 times
I do not tip. If I leave a tip on the first morning, how would I know that it went to the maid that prepared it for me? If I was to leave one bigger tip at the end of a stay, how would I know that it was shared with those that actually serviced my room? I typically spend no time at the hotel when I travel, so I never see the maid service.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,515,747 times
Unless you are in dire financial shape, I think people should definitely tip. Stop being so cheap and leave $5 or $10.

$5 might not be much to you, but it might buy milk for her family. It isn't going to break you and your maid might be trying to feed her family on the meager hotel wages or trying to put herself/himself through college. Same with restaurants!

Cleaning a room isn't easy, especially if someone leaves a mess. (I've heard horror stories of blood, vomit, poop, etc)

Old 06-26-2017, 05:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,779,154 times
I used to travel for business 4-5 days a week, and always left a tip at the end of each day. These days, I don't, but once a year we go away for a week and still do it. However, we are staying in the same room that entire week and don't want our stuff disturbed, so we leave a "Do not disturb" sign on the door for a couple of days, and then remove it so they can come in and freshen up the room and towels. We leave the tip then and at the end of our stay.

It usually pays off because we can request additional towels, or whatever, and the maid takes care of us.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,806,074 times
Leaving $5/night and a note of thanks is not time-consuming or a financial hardship for me and I'd like to think the housekeeper feels appreciated and can use that money for groceries or a little treat for her/himself.

Also, I pick up after myself (trash in cans, dirty towels in tub, etc) so that the room can be cleaned quickly.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I've talked to several people who do not leave a tip for the maid. I wonder what the percentage is of people who do.
Recently I just stayed one night at a hotel. Bill was $160 plus $20 to park my car. Please tell me what that amount includes?

If I stay just one night I normally do not tip. What am I tipping for? For cleaning my room after I leave? I am pretty tidy. If I stay two nights, I don't use the cleaning service either. I am tidy, I can make my own bed in the morning. I rarely stay at hotels for vacations. I use B&B's and airbnb--no tip is needed for those places.

If I am staying long term---like for work and I am staying a month, then I have the cleaning person come in once a week. I leave a note asking for extra towels, water, coffee, etc. I leave a nice tip because I am asking for extra services. They must be pleased with the tip because they leave me extra extra stuff and usually leave me a note back to me with a smiley face

Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,142,034 times
Please don't make your own bed. I can make mine too but I don't for a reason. The sheets need to be changed. If you make the bed, especially when there are two beds, how do they know which one you slept in? Sure, I can say it's not my problem who sleeps in my used sheets next but I believe in the golden rule and I'd rather not sleep in your used sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel