Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

We do not like doing repeats, only if it was very good money spent. It all depends on budget and time of the year.

we do regret repeating, because there is no mystery and no new experience, we know what is there. but in the same sense, we know exactly where to go to for that special restaurant or beach spot.

we have tried doing things, for tradition sake, but even our kids say, somewhere new this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:48 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Having my own airplane has afforded me the opportunity to see 49 States, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America. I try to mix it up and visit places I've never been to.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
We are NOT repeaters. With few exceptions, Vegas and our favorite National Parks, we always choose different areas to travel.

I would stick needles in my eyes if I bought that time share in FL years ago,

We are National Park hoppers. We've been in all 50 states and all provinces of Canada.

We've toured Europe, Asia and South America. Our last trip to Europe, 10-15 years ago, we felt that they wanted our money more than they wanted us. So, we decided that we were going to spend our money to help the US economy. And, since then, we've visited about 80+% of our National Parks and Monuments.

Wow, the whole USofA is beautiful. Why only go to one spot??

Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post

So what is your vacation style? Different places each trip, repeat trips, or a combination of both?
Most of my trips are to visit/stay with family and friends in different locations (which include different countries). Since I lived in many locations during my life going back to some of them and visiting people I know who take me to new spots can be quite interesting.

The only trips to completely new places were when I had jobs overseas and used my time off from work to visit various interesting locations nearby.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I'm kind of a bit of both. Repeat the ones I like but add in some new when I can. Growing up my dad's job took him on a big road trip every summer so we went with him. Some nights we'd be in nowhere'sville, but we always stayed in a motel with a pool, so as a kid who cared. Favorite stop for me was a Howard Johnson's in Texarkana because of the playground they had there included a bit, tall, rocketship. Got to see the Houston space center during Apollo, a whole bunch of Six Flags parks, the Alamo, toured battleships Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, carrier Yorktown, Charleston, Fort Sumter, historic plantations, Williamsburg, National Parks, and more.

I loved it and wanted to do the same with my kids while they grew up. Unfortunately the quasi near year round school schedule we're on put a serious damper on schedule opportunities. I'm a big believer in traditional summer because I got to see and learn so much first hand that is only hinted at or skipped entirely in school. We still did things with them, but the big, traditional vacation kind of became what could be done in a long weekend.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 AM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
When I was a child my parents took us to the same vacation spot year after year. The trip involved renting a car, airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, and activity funds. Eventually it included a time share. I have two brothers by the way. The trips were memorable and fun. It allowed us to have a family tradition each year.

However, in a perfect world I would have liked to have seen new places each year. It would have been a good learning experience (i.e. visiting various cities, historical places, museums, parks, coastlines, etc.)

Now an an adult in my mid thirties, my husband and I travel to new places on our vacation minus family visits. There are a couple places my husband and I would like to visit again. But we can worry about those places a little later.

So what is your vacation style? Different places each trip, repeat trips, or a combination of both?
I haven't traveled extensively yet but I like to go to a different place each trip. Although I do want to return to Italy because I didn't get much time to really soak it in!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Las Vegas several times a year, big vacations are always someplace new, though I would love to go back to Jamaica!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
If I had the cash, I would love to buy a vacation home in PNW and go there every summer for the rest of my life.

Enjoying myself is more important than exploring the world, I think my style is the combination of both. I went to Seattle twice and California more often than that for vacation. I went to Phuket once and I really want to go back. But there are also a ton of new places on my list, I think my next destination is a new place, Midwest or New England.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:02 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
With few exceptions, I'm a "once and done" traveler. There are so many new places to see, I just can't bring myself to visit spots I've already seen.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
New places.

If I go to a place that was visited, I do see and do something different. I won't stay at the same hotel, eat the same breakfast and do exactly the same thing like last time.

For example, if I go to Paris 4 times, I will make sure to stay in 4 different districts and visit different areas of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel