Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 AM

382 posts, read 364,297 times

Advertisements

When I was a child my parents took us to the same vacation spot year after year. The trip involved renting a car, airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, and activity funds. Eventually it included a time share. I have two brothers by the way. The trips were memorable and fun. It allowed us to have a family tradition each year.

However, in a perfect world I would have liked to have seen new places each year. It would have been a good learning experience (i.e. visiting various cities, historical places, museums, parks, coastlines, etc.)

Now an an adult in my mid thirties, my husband and I travel to new places on our vacation minus family visits. There are a couple places my husband and I would like to visit again. But we can worry about those places a little later.

So what is your vacation style? Different places each trip, repeat trips, or a combination of both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,768,285 times
Middle-aged couple. We are annual passholders to Walt Disney World, so we visit at least once/year, since '02. On the other hand, we routinely go other places for our summer vacation. This year, we're spending a week on the southern coast of Maine.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,523,341 times
We're repeaters for sure and we like to stay in one place for at least a couple of weeks.
We're regulars at several locales and never tire of visiting them: northern NM, Smoky and Appalachian Mt towns, Hill Country TX, NOLA. Those are all places we try to visit at least annually (we're retired). San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato MX was a favorite region for several years until intercity travel there became iffy.

But we make it a point every couple of years to try one new place. Some end up on our repeat list others don't. We enjoy every new place but some we feel like we've seen all we want in one long stay.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
When we were kids, back in the old century, we took at least 2 weeks every summer and did something different. It did always involve a road trip as people back then did not just hop on an airplane at the drop of a coin and cruising was something only the very rich even considered unless they were people relocating form Europe to America or something.

As our kids grew up we traveled pretty much the same way, with a few weeks each summer spent either visiting family combined with maybe Disney world of something, some years camping and others renting a mountain cabin.

When our kids left home and we had a lot more cash plus lots of frequent flyer miles, we started checking out the rest of the world by plane or ship. Now retirement has set in, money isn't nearly as plentiful as 20 years ago and much of what we have goes to medical care, so our vacation days are pretty much limited to one nice vacation a year: almost always a cruise.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,730,834 times
We have an annual family gathering in either Eureka or Benbow, in Southern Humboldt. Sometimes we take a trip in addition. Last years was a long road/rail trip to Boston and back.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,877,244 times
I generally don't go back since there are too many places to see in the world. Few places that we will go back ( cote d'azure, positano, santorini, bora bora) not until we go to all the places we want to see.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:19 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
When I was a child my parents took us to the same vacation spot year after year. The trip involved renting a car, airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, and activity funds. Eventually it included a time share. I have two brothers by the way. The trips were memorable and fun. It allowed us to have a family tradition each year.

However, in a perfect world I would have liked to have seen new places each year. It would have been a good learning experience (i.e. visiting various cities, historical places, museums, parks, coastlines, etc.)

Now an an adult in my mid thirties, my husband and I travel to new places on our vacation minus family visits. There are a couple places my husband and I would like to visit again. But we can worry about those places a little later.

So what is your vacation style? Different places each trip, repeat trips, or a combination of both?
Combination of both for me.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 PM

810 posts, read 666,612 times
My wife and I like to show our kids interesting places, not just in the US, but abroad. We agreed that, although their intentions were good, our parents never really showed us much. We try to mix it up as much as possible but there have been a few places we've seen that were so great they demand a repeat visit (Paris, Costa Rica, Ireland, etc.)

Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 PM

401 posts, read 425,520 times
We have been to 49 of the 50 states (last state Hawaii set for the fall) and 8 of the 13 Canadian Provinces, also to Italy, and the U.K. We have taken our kids to about 35 states and Italy. We would give them a choice as to where they wanted to go, Disney or road trip, always a road trip, although they have been to Disney in FL and CA. We took a month long trip from San Diego to Vancouver with our kids it was a blast. We live in a fantastic country which is so diverse you got to see it to believe it.

Prince Edward Island in Canada is a beautiful place we have been visiting since 1985 and spent a month on the island in 2015 and will be back in 2017 for 2 weeks. Our kids have been to the island many times. We go every back every 2-3 years, it takes us 2 days and 17 hours of driving but we look forward to it.

Last edited by TLC1957; 06-24-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 10:36 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,266,375 times
I was not a repeat traveler until I went to Alaska in 2011 and stayed at a place north of Fairbanks. I fell for the general area in a big way and returned in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Due to circumstances travel was put on hold for a while, but I managed another visit there earlier this year. I probably won't travel again for some time; when I do, I'll head back that way again.

Though there are other places I'd enjoy visiting, I've been to the places I felt I had to see; now I'm happy to return to the place that keeps calling me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel