Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM

605 posts, read 669,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought my kid's roommate was crazy when she said she wanted to visit North Korea and Cuba. Now I know she's not alone. But it's all talk for her because she doesn't have money to go anywhere. When she does, she may think twice about where to spend her money.
Cuba is nowhere near as bad as North Korea as far as human rights are concerned, and for decades Cuba was already a popular tourist destination for millions of Canadians and Europeans who visit the island without encountering any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
A part of me thinks you are incredibly naive and foolish.

If they want to make an example out of you for political reasons, they will. They'll concoct an excuse for detaining you.

If Korean culture is something that interests you, visit South Korea. The infrastructure is much better, the people are not malnourished, and you don't have to worry about coming back to the U.S. in a coma.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
I wouldn't visit North Korea if you paid me, but I consider Cuba to be enormously different. Absolutely nowhere near the level of danger that accompanies a trip to North Korea; and as noted above, Canadians visit Cuba all the time as a holiday destination. I would have zero qualms about visiting Cuba but would never even consider North Korea under the present circumstances.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 PM

24 posts, read 62,453 times
I wanted to go just to see either the opening or closing ceremonies of the Arirang Games. Other than that, the closest I'd get is the DMZ and that would be pushing it...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Luckily, there are other places in the world that one can go to experience aspects of North Korea without nearly as much personal danger.

Want to experience Korean culture? Go to South Korea.

Grinding, starvation-level poverty? Haiti

The blatant failure of communism to provide anything more than a baseline existence? Cuba

Being spied upon by the government? Any of the former Eastern Bloc countries surely must have museums illustrating that experience.

All-encompassing cult-of-personality for the leader? Romania used to have that, back in the Ceausescu days. Maybe they have museums that show what it was like.

The feeling of being imprisoned? Alcatraz

Grand public monuments alongside drab apartment blocks? Moscow

I suppose, though, if one wants to experience all of these things all in the same place, at the same time, then only North Korea will fit the bill.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Still wanna go to North Korea, OP?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM

826 posts, read 864,415 times
The experience in North Korea is very limited, tourists only can go to certain parts of Pyongyang under constant vigilance.

I think people are just interested in being able to say "i traveled to North Korea".

Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
For a tourist, North Korea is hardly as scary as many of you make it to be (as if you have been there). A friend of mine went there a few years ago (he visited Syria, Iraq too) and there were no horrible story whatsoever.

Just be a tourist and not point fingers and make comments about politics. It is easy to do.

It is natural for people to be curious about N Korea. Cuba hardly cut it. Only Americans would think it is dangerous to visit Cuba, which has a higher life expectancy than the US. But there are millions of ignorant brainwashed people out there who only read US news, what can you do.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:48 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For a tourist, North Korea is hardly as scary as many of you make it to be (as if you have been there). A friend of mine went there a few years ago (he visited Syria, Iraq too) and there were no horrible story whatsoever.

Just be a tourist and not point fingers and make comments about politics. It is easy to do.

It is natural for people to be curious about N Korea. Cuba hardly cut it. Only Americans would think it is dangerous to visit Cuba, which has a higher life expectancy than the US. But there are millions of ignorant brainwashed people out there who only read US news, what can you do.
It may not be scary but who cares! There are so many beautiful and interesting places in the world to go instead of N Korea.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Part of what makes traveling abroad fun is getting to interact with the locals. Like watching a Soccer match in a bar, or participating in a pub hoedown song, or flirting with the ladies on a beach.

Good luck trying any of that in North Korea. Sadly the devil who runs that country has malnourished his own people into thinking that he is God, and executes anyone who doesn't abide by his bronze-age laws, including his own family members. I feel awful for the residents of NK, unfortunately most of them will never know any better.

The world would be a much better place without that vile mouth-breather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel