Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:15 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times

Advertisements

So you guys who do hosteling,
What's the experience for bedbugs, lices, and mices?
I am thinking to do some traveling this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The Hostelworld web site lets you search for room with private baths:

Hostels Worldwide - Online Hostel Bookings, Ratings and Reviews

Do a general search for a city on the home page, click on the 'filter' button, click on 'room'.

I did a test search for a few cities in Germany, and good a good number of options that way, but the private rooms tend to price about the same as the budget chain (Holiday Inn Express, Ibis, Motel One) option.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think you're either a hostel person or you aren't.

My husband is fine camping or staying in marginal places. I want my own bathroom.
Yep.

Hostels = shudder.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
A hostel is a ticket for those that love to socialize. 3 of us stayed in one in Harlem back in 2009, 2 of us not very social, my brother extremely sociable. He loved it! Socializing in the community kitchen, the community TV room and the community Internet room, rooftop deck, he could socialize all day long. It was his 1st hostel experience and it won't be his last. And, being a mechanic, he can certainly afford more expensive lodgings!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I've never stayed @ a hostel. My fiancé loves them and wants to stay @ one with me on our next trip b/c he says they are cheaper and if you only need a bed why does it matter what the room looks like?

But I feel like... we're in our mid-30's, we make over $200k as a couple, why would someone our age and with our income need to stay in hostels?

Is there some kind of awesomeness I am not aware of?

I get the appeal for young people or people who don't have a lot of money, but if you're able to afford a nice hotel, why wouldn't you?

Is there some kind of advantage to staying in a hostel? Are they safe?

I have heard some serious horror stories and those were from people who had PRIVATE rooms.
I spent a couple of weeks in Maui with my daughter and she wanted to stay at a hostel. It was not my thing - much preferring a nice hotel, private bathroom, continental breakfast, air conditioning and all the luxuries a vacation should offer. She won the debate, but I insisted we rent a car.

We stayed at the hostel in a private room - no horror stories. It was quite a unique experience. We met many interesting, well-educated, successful people from all over the world, went off the beaten track with whoever seemed interesting that day, enjoyed cooking parties, and had a really good experience. The hostel also offered many inexpensive day tours to all parts of, and highlights of, the Island - something we may not have experiences without the connections of world travellers.

The only thing that struck me as odd was the keg parties and beer binging evenings. The hostel staff was really interested in getting everyone completely hammered until 10PM, and then lights out. It seemed really strange to get everyone as drunk as possible and then tell them to be quiet.

You meet all types at hostels, and I think that the overall travel experience will be that much better from connecting with other world travellers. It was completely safe. It is not about the money, it is about the experience.

Would I do it again ... not sure. Maybe if I was travelling with my daughter again.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I didn't ask for marriage advice, but thanks. This a recent development b/c he got tired of spending what we've spent on hotels and doesn't want to do it anymore.

We will have to compromise somewhere. I am open to a hostel if it has all my requirements & also hot water.

Am I being unreasonable to want my own private room & bathroom with hot water and a/c? Cuz I don't think so.

We'll have to find a middle ground.

Do hostels with what I want exist?
You might have to forego the a/c, but there's plenty of hot water, and a private room is always an option. I'm sure some hostels have a private room with bathroom, but it's not really a problem to walk down the hall to the bathroom. It's like a lot of houses where you walk down a short hall to another room to go to the bathroom rather than having your bathroom in the bedroom.

The middle ground might be that you spend 5 nights at the hostel, and 2 nights at a hotel. When I travel I sometimes have a couple of days of making sandwiches at the park, and then on the third day I have an amazing meal at a recommended restaurant. It's actually fun to rough it for a couple of days and then bask in luxury for one.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:11 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
I've stayed at probably 50 hostels over the last 3 years

They're fine.

Others have laid out their positives and negatives.

Instead of listening to someone else, try it. If you don't like it, there's always another vacation.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I don't think the OP s into 'Roughing it'

That is fine. Plenty of hotels for those who can afford and prefer it.

Hostels have their place and I'm glad there are a lot of them too!

Especially in very scenic areas of the world that don't allow hotels.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:03 AM

4 posts, read 2,376 times
I often stay in hostels in Europe or the Middle East because they fit my travel criteria
They have good locations
They have private rooms with ensuite bathrooms
They are economical
Lastly they have the best Wifi because young travellers demand it. So many lodgings have inadequate reception.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:24 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsons2 View Post
I often stay in hostels in Europe or the Middle East because they fit my travel criteria
They have good locations
They have private rooms with ensuite bathrooms
They are economical
Lastly they have the best Wifi because young travellers demand it. So many lodgings have inadequate reception.
This, all of the Youth Hostels (Jugendherberge) I have stayed in were great and had way better locations than the Hotels.
In the last few years I have been in Hostels in Austria and Germany mostly. i was at the Wölfgangsee with a fantastic view of the lake, nice room with bathroom and shower... The rooms are a bit small and simple but you really aren't spending much time in them anyways. I was in one at in Prien on the Chiemsee recently too and it was fine.

I was in a brand new one in Prum in the Eifel near the boarder to Belgium and it was nicer than most any of the hotels around.

Met my now ex wife in the Youth Hostel in Salisbury England. This is the only time I ever stayed at one not in a private room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel