Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A hostel is a ticket for those that love to socialize. 3 of us stayed in one in Harlem back in 2009, 2 of us not very social, my brother extremely sociable. He loved it! Socializing in the community kitchen, the community TV room and the community Internet room, rooftop deck, he could socialize all day long. It was his 1st hostel experience and it won't be his last. And, being a mechanic, he can certainly afford more expensive lodgings!
I don't go on vacation to socialize with others. That isn't to say I won't; I'm a friendly person; but that is not the purpose of my travel. The purpose of my travels are to see a new place with my fiancé; not to make new friends. If that happens, we welcome it and we meet a lot of people when we are traveling, but it isn't too important to me that I socialize with others... and TBH, most of the people I come in contact with on my travels are Americans anyway. I want to meet local people, not Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't go on vacation to socialize with others. That isn't to say I won't; I'm a friendly person; but that is not the purpose of my travel. The purpose of my travels are to see a new place with my fiancé; not to make new friends. If that happens, we welcome it and we meet a lot of people when we are traveling, but it isn't too important to me that I socialize with others... and TBH, most of the people I come in contact with on my travels are Americans anyway. I want to meet local people, not Americans.
The problem with hostel socializing for me is that most other guests are much younger than me, at a totally different stage of life. I honestly don't think i have much in common with them. Yes, I can be friendly and talk to them but we're not going to be friends.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
Hope the need for a hostel is not a unconscious desire to relive his twenties, even though that may not be your choice.

But seriously, you need to thresh it a bit more. How much would a hostel cost for both of you with the minimum amnesties you need. How much would a chain hotel or AirBnb for the same days cost. Is the cost difference significant. What will you do with the savings you achieve by living in a hostel? more travel, more restaurant food? More museums and sightseeing?

If you can do all that with an extra money you can afford, stay in a hotel. But make sure that you are on the same page before you start the trip and have no bickering or silent sulking during the trip.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:38 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
Hostels don't mean only bunk rooms and shared bathrooms, they can encapsulate a wide variety of room options and the idea that they don't have private bathrooms, AC or hot running water is dated.

OP, if the options are either the chains you listed or finding some sort of alternative I would find prefer something else. There are so many different room choices now days, between Airbnb, hostels, local hotels and VRBO there is no reason to stay at an inferior chain. When I travel to touristy areas I have no problem finding superior rooms (with AC, private bathrooms, clean and comfortable accommodations) at much cheaper prices then a chain. Oh, and to top it off you can find ones that are much quieter if you look for them. A condo or small hotel/hostel just off the main drag will usually have more considerate neighbors then a family with screaming kids on vacation or a party of young adults on spring break.

Don't get hung up on labels. I stayed at a two star hotel in Rome, I remember when I asked to look at the room I was expecting something horrible, instead it was a clean, but sparse room, though the selling point was the massive marble bathroom and the view from the room. Price wise it was about the same as a private room in a hostel, included standard European breakfast, wifi, AC, it had extra pillows and blankets like a chain would, but was a fraction of the cost.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Hostels are great for the young traveler. It is a way for them to socialize and the price is right. For the average vacationer, there are much better ways to enjoy your time. I would have love to be a young person and enjoyed the adventure of hostel rooms. But that is as far as it goes.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The problem with hostel socializing for me is that most other guests are much younger than me, at a totally different stage of life. I honestly don't think i have much in common with them. Yes, I can be friendly and talk to them but we're not going to be friends.
Same here. We seem to always meet college kids on their "gap years".

Old 07-06-2017, 01:40 PM

735 posts, read 871,935 times
I have been in many hostels where the majority of people were either in their 40's or older, especially as I got further off the beaten track.

Though, like I said, don't knock the little independent hotels, lots of hidden gems and it's easy enough to find them when you get to your destination. If you are not comfortable finding one on your own, use an app.

OP, I am sure you can find a compromise between cheap and clean/comfortable and a chain hotel.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I love staying in hostels. But I'm also 27 and travel very differently. There isn't much advantage if your in your 30's and making 200k. But it's not a money issue for me.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I do not remember what it was that turned me off to hostels in my younger days.

Maybe it was Gunther blaring his techno-music at 2 am after the bars closed.

Maybe it was waking up t find that someone had gone through my bag.

Or maybe it was the general lack of cleanliness of the facilities.

Personally, I don't want to deal with the hassles.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
Quote:
I get the appeal for young people or people who
like to save money in retirement/college/stock funds,
Quote:
but if you're able to afford a nice hotel, why wouldn't you?

Is there some kind of advantage to staying in a hostel? Are they safe?

I have heard some serious horror stories and those were from people who had PRIVATE rooms.

Fixed that for you.

Sam Walton used to hitch rides from Wal-Mart customers to the airport when he traveled from store to store. He became a billionaire for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel