Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I've never stayed @ a hostel. My fiancé loves them and wants to stay @ one with me on our next trip b/c he says they are cheaper and if you only need a bed why does it matter what the room looks like?

But I feel like... we're in our mid-30's, we make over $200k as a couple, why would someone our age and with our income need to stay in hostels?

Is there some kind of awesomeness I am not aware of?

I get the appeal for young people or people who don't have a lot of money, but if you're able to afford a nice hotel, why wouldn't you?

Is there some kind of advantage to staying in a hostel? Are they safe?

I have heard some serious horror stories and those were from people who had PRIVATE rooms.

It really depends on where you are going and how many people are involved.

When I went to Richmond, VA, I was looking for a place to stay downtown and the cheapest place I found was a hostel that was very new and also rented out private rooms with a private bathroom. It wasn't that cheap ($90ish) but I thought it was very nice and clean. It had WiFi as well, since you are concerned about that.

My husband, sister and I are going to Philadelphia soon and she often stays at hostels when she travels alone. But when I did the math, I was able to find us a hotel in the downtown area for practically the cost of renting three beds for two nights in the hostel nearby but we also get a free breakfast at the hotel. The private room in that hostel wasn't that cheap but it wasn't available anyway. My sister said that often times, once you have 2+ people, you'll often find that the hotel is the same or cheaper.

And depending on when and where you travel, the prices might not be that bad. When I was in Germany, we stayed at a newer, nice hotel in the center of the city for only 63 euro, which is like $72. It was MUCH nicer than what $72 would get you in the US that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am open to a hostel on the condition that it has a private room with a bathroom & A/C and is somewhat 'nice' and not a complete dumphole.

I prefer hotels though. I don't care about meeting other people or partying... neither does he. We don't need to stay @ hostels out of financial need, he just feels like if we can save $$ we should but I don't want to dampen my vacation experience.

I also understand not all hotels are nice just as not all hostels are crappy... it's just that I like chain hotels b/c I know what I'm getting. I don't need to read reviews about Hiltons, Marriots, Sheratons... I know what they are like... and I almost always enjoy my stays @ them.

I'm with you. But I would say that part of where I stay, even if it's only where I am sleeping, is part of the experience. You never know what will happen that might keep you inside---awful weather, illness, etc.---so I'd like to be somewhere reasonable. Like I said, you can find places that have private rooms at hostels, but they are often not that cheap. I'd only do it if it was substantially cheaper than the hotel.

Has your fiance looked into airb&b at all? When we went to Louisville, we stayed in our own apartment with a parking spot (the owner of the house rented out the two apartments this way) and it was great. It was a two bedroom apartment with a bathroom, kitchen, living room, etc. which was more than what we needed BUT it was $70/night versus at least double for the hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 PM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
The first time I stayed in a hostel was in Dublin. I was 35 and shared a 6 bed dorm with 4 crazy teens looking to party from Manchester UK. Would've been great If I were single. The next experience was a guy who snored very loudly.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:12 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Makes my =/<$20 / night German / Netherlands / Belgium stays seem very nice (40+ nights in 2016 alone)
(all had private bath, A/C (when needed (seldom)), Wifi, QUIET, scenic, comfortable, educational, great breakfasts (sometimes 'local' dinner too, and packed lunch), often included transportation to and from train / airport + many 'Guest passes' to events and public transit, and free use of bicycles..
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
Apple, meet Orange.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
like to save money in retirement/college/stock funds
This is silly false dichotomy, it is quite possible to save aggressively for retirement (and like it) while also taking a step up from hostels when on vacation.

What you're doing could be taken farther and point fingers at anything people do outside of the absolute basics in life to imply they don't manage their money well or don't save. If you aren't wearing shoes you made from used tires and canning tomatoes you don't like to save money for retirement/college/stock funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Sam Walton used to hitch rides from Wal-Mart customers to the airport when he traveled from store to store. He became a billionaire for a reason.
Sam Walton became a billionaire because of a savvy business model especially related to supply chain management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel