Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times

Advertisements

The sounds of crazy partying in the streets in working class Puerta Vallarta until 3am all weekend. We were staying at a very nice B&B up in the hills with a beautiful view all the way down to the Melecon. Honestly part of me felt it was awesome, but we were physically exhausted and needed to sleep. Did I mention we kept the patio door and all windows open 24/7 due to no A/C, so no white noise for us. Plus the dozen or more roosters crowing as soon as the sun even started to come out for the day making a late morning impossible.

If the opportunity arises in the future, I would totally return there with my daughter. She would love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Drunks screaming, fighting & breaking bottles at night in the Tenderloin in San Francisco.

Room next to an elevator in an otherwise nice hotel so you hear bells & doors & loud people talking till all hours.

Staying in a hostel in Italy in a very large open dorm like setting after lights out & everyone is trying to sleep & then the owners come in with a wildly barking & growling German Shepherd dog & screaming at one guy he has to get out NOW! NOW!

I too learned long ago that foam earplugs are absolute necessities for travel.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
They really weren't "annoyances" but when we camped beside the Little Bighorn River, there were some kind of bugs in the big trees that were SO loud during the day, we were amazed. As dark descended, they got quiet for the night and then started up again at dawn.

I still don't know what they were. Were they cicadas? Anyone know?

Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
fire works was an unexpected noise i have encountered on my travels.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:01 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
A troop of howler monkeys swinging through the trees around our treehouse room in the middle of the night in Costa Rica. They sounded like the veritable hounds of hell coming to get us. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv1hgtWf1ms

Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
They really weren't "annoyances" but when we camped beside the Little Bighorn River, there were some kind of bugs in the big trees that were SO loud during the day, we were amazed. As dark descended, they got quiet for the night and then started up again at dawn.

I still don't know what they were. Were they cicadas? Anyone know?
More than likely, they were cicadas. Here, in Dixie, we have cicadas in the day and a cacophony of katydids at night.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
The metro running under my hotel in Lisbon. Took me a while to figure it out. I thought it was an earthquake...

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I opted to stay in a small town along the Ruta De Flores in El Salvador one Sunday night, thinking I'd sleep like a log in this small town. Wrong! There were 3 or 4 evangelical churches in that small town, with loud speakers outside the churches, blasting church music and their sermons. It appeared to me that they were competing with one another, and this went on until after midnight! Finally got to sleep at 12:30, and around 5, I'm awakened by Roosters!

I decided to have lunch at an outdoor restaurant in Mendoza one afternoon, and just as the main course arrived, an ear-piercing car alarm went off across the street. No one could locate the owner, no one knew how to shut it off! My waiter was just as frustrated and angry as I was! Some lunch that was!

Another time I decided to treat myself to a large suite atop the Paris Hotel in Tijuana, with a spacious rooftop patio with chairs, overlooking Revolution Avenue. What was I thinking!!! Just because it was so cheap? $40? Half block away was an open air disco, music blasting away until 3am! Not one of my brightest ideas for a good night's sleep! Henceforth, on any future trips to TJ, I stayed at the quiet Vagabundo Motel next to the Cathedral, 4-5 blocks away from noisy Revolution.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being awakened by roosters very early mornings in Latin America for one!
?
Once while overnighting in Africa I stayed in a place that must have had a blind rooster. He was making noise all night long.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Stayed in a riverfront hotel in Pittsburgh once and was awakened at five AM by what sounded like a war zone. When the noise continued went to the window and saw a huge fireworks display over the old Three Rivers Stadium across the river. Was thinking that a game had just ended but it was way too late for that. I found out later that there was filming going on for a Bruce Willis movie (River Cop?) and apparently it was well publicized among the people of Pittsburgh but not among hotel customers at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel