Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:17 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

Fantastic thoughts and advice. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:56 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
I wouldn't exclude Vienna. Fine city with lots to see and do.

Have also heard that Frankfurt is not very interesting unless there's some really strong reason they want to go there.

Substituting Salzburg for Italy makes sense to me -- agree that Salzburg is well worth a visit. Italy seems more out of the way on this jaunt. I'd save Italy for another time.

Otherwise, seems like a good itinerary given what you're trying to accomplish. It would be too rushed for me, personally.

What's the itinerary for each city? There are lots of fruitful ways to spend two days in most of these places (in fact, a week each in Vienna, Berlin, and Munich wouldn't be unreasonable if so inclined). You could see a lot of what Salzburg, Prague, Innsbruck, and the possible Swiss options have to offer in two days each.

I would also research the best way to get reliable taxi service in Prague. It's been a few years since I've been, but the Prague taxi drivers back then were notorious and shameless rip-off artists. Also warn your folks that if they see snacks on the table at a restaurant (nuts, cheese, crackers, etc.) they are not free and will be gouged financially if they indulge.

The bread basket is not free in this part of Europe, either. You will be charged by the piece if you eat any.

Last edited by bachslunch; 07-30-2017 at 05:15 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 08:46 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Thanks! As for Frankfurt, it's booked there because that's where my parents were originally flying to begin their land tour before canceling it (they still have the airfare). I figured they could spend a decent amount of one day there on a day trip to Mainz, and even just spending time adjusting to jet lag and relaxing after getting in. I think the unique angle of Frankfurt comes in on the fact that it's skyline is much more like an American one than any other city in Europe I know of.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
We did both Vienna and Salzburg in 2014. Salzburg has more for tourists and one could easily spend 2-3 days there. We spent 2 days in Vienna. In both places taking the public transport within the city is the way to go. I would not recommend driving within the city.

We also did Prague and Budapest. We stayed near Charles Bridge in Prague and got to see the sights on foot. I think we took Taxi to and from the hotel to the train station.

I found Berlin wonderful. Get your parents to go online and book the guided English tour to the Bundestag followed by a visit to the dome. for the date they will be there. Well worth it and beats registering to see just the dome. If they take the 3 zone transport pass they will be able to visit Potsdam and also see a concentration camp 30 miles North and covered by the pass ( if they had not seen Dachau in the south)

https://visite.bundestag.de/BAPWeb/p...st.jsf?lang=en

Old 07-30-2017, 11:42 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
I find, now I'm in my 60s, that somewhere in my holiday I need a day where I can slow down and have some down time, a day where I have no plans and can relax. It recharges my batteries for the rest of the holiday.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Well it might be just me, but when I travel to Europe or anywhere else I really hate rushing. To me spending two days in a city and visiting 5 - 6 very different historic cities in completely different countries seems a bit insane. The minimum I would spend in Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Munich is 3 - 5 days. That gives you time to look at the main touristy attractions, wonder the streets of the city, sit in a café and look around. My wife is the same, we spent seven days in London and did not see everything. That included a one day tour to Oxford..

I just don't understand how 70 year olds will rush to different places every two days and be able to enjoy their time. Also I personally hate driving so would not be renting a car. I would be also concerned about driving in another country, different rules, etc...

Old 08-07-2017, 04:36 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I find, now I'm in my 60s, that somewhere in my holiday I need a day where I can slow down and have some down time, a day where I have no plans and can relax. It recharges my batteries for the rest of the holiday.
I thought it was just me. Reading some of the itineraries posted in this forum cause me to want to take a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel