Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times

Advertisements

I totally recommend Costa Rica. I have heard Panama and Chile is up and coming though and starting to be on peoples radar more... partially because they're fairly affordable. I think a lot of people in the U.S. are fed up with Mexico and their bs so they are going to Central America instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I totally recommend Costa Rica. I have heard Panama and Chile is up and coming though and starting to be on peoples radar more... partially because they're fairly affordable. I think a lot of people in the U.S. are fed up with Mexico and their bs so they are going to Central America instead.
Chile is quite expensive. Closer to the US in prices than it is to Peru. Altho public transport and intercity travel is dirt cheap which I guess is a huge incentive

Old 09-23-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Chile is quite expensive. Closer to the US in prices than it is to Peru. Altho public transport and intercity travel is dirt cheap which I guess is a huge incentive
Really? Well that's interesting..I just read an article on Forbes that ranked Chile as one of the most affordable places to go to, I dunno, wierd. I guess all of these travel writers are a dime a dozen now and all have their own perspective on things. I'm totally all for Central and South America and places like Aruba, which I'm going back to early next year. There is more to do in other countries, Aruba is small but, it's still a nice spot.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:44 AM

360 posts, read 372,220 times
Quote:
Thanks, I am planning to go to Costarica next Summer.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Costa Rica is great.. I've been twice in different areas of the Guanacaste area. If that is where you are going, I know of the best tour guide in the area, fantastic guy and has really awesome, small tours for barely more than a mass market tour. Send me a DM if you want more info!

Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 AM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
For now, Mexico. I need to visit South America

Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Costa Rica is great.. I've been twice in different areas of the Guanacaste area. If that is where you are going, I know of the best tour guide in the area, fantastic guy and has really awesome, small tours for barely more than a mass market tour. Send me a DM if you want more info!
Yes that's the area where I was. I believe that part of CR is starting to become more popular whereas in the past everyone just flew into San Jose.

I need a guy like that for Aruba if you know of any let me know. Not so much for a tour guide...but sort of like a personal taxi type dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Thanks, I am planning to go to Costarica next Summer.
Cool that's awesome, it's great there. It takes time to get around the country though so if you want to do a lot of sightseeing and driving around, or tours on buses...just remember that. It is a lot of two lane roads and most of them you can't go super fast on.

Costa Rica's geography is basically like driving around rural Appalachia in the U.S., hilly, curvy, rugged, and two lane roads.

You aren't going to be going 80mph on some straight road for an hour like you're driving on I70 to Denver or something.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
For now, Mexico. I need to visit South America
I believe Mexico City is one of the most underrated tourist destinations.

They have world class museums, Teotihuacan, wonderful city parks, great restaurants, some of the best street food in the world, good cheap (albeit crowded) public transportation, lots of quirky cultural oddities, and since at altitude pretty mild weather for most of the year. It's a shame that most people who step off a plane in Mexico are just going to an all-inclusive beach resort instead of seeing what else the country has to offer.

I think people dismiss it because of the Mexico=crime thing but CDMX is just like any other big city there are areas that are fine to walk around even late at night (which is where most of the tourists visit anyway) and others that are best avoided even in the day.

Quote:
I believe that part of CR is starting to become more popular whereas in the past everyone just flew into San Jose.
Yeah that's what we used to do, since weren't many other choices. Fly to San Jose and arrive in the afternoon, spend one night at hotel next to airport, then next day chicken-bus to our true destination. Nice to hear more options for arrival are opening up.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Yeah that's what we used to do, since weren't many other choices. Fly to San Jose and arrive in the afternoon, spend one night at hotel next to airport, then next day chicken-bus to our true destination. Nice to hear more options for arrival are opening up.
The Liberia airport is nice, albeit a bit expensive.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM

417 posts, read 445,236 times
These are, in order, the countries or territories I have visited in the Western Hemisphere. Keep in my that I am a low budget backpacker, so cost of living is high on my priority list, but not the only factor.

1) Ecuador
2) Nicaragua
3) Panama
4) Peru
5) Puerto Rico
6) Mexico
7) Cayman Islands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel