Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:55 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've never found there to be that much of a difference between lightweight breathable pants and some shorts that give you an extra 15 inches of bare skin...
Mosquitos.

Quote:
And they do look absolutely ridiculous.
Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard of such pants. I must be way behind on my travel gadget news!
Me too, lol. I am an avid traveler... wtf are 'travel pants' lol

Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
I've never found there to be that much of a difference between lightweight breathable pants and some shorts that give you an extra 15 inches of bare skin, or at least enough to be thinking I'd be carrying around some pant leg pieces in a backpack while enjoying my newfound comfort.

And they do look absolutely ridiculous.
Those are the ugliest things I have ever seen!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I take a pair with me when I am in strange places and climates (some places don't allow shorts).

these pants work, when you have one carry-on bag for a LONG trip in different climates, cultures, and places...trains / planes...restaurants with AC, buses without AC...(GONE all of 2016 for us).

Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I lived in Phoenix for 25+ years. Trust me - except for cool days in December January and February, nobody is comfortably wearing jeans.

When traveling, those things are heavy in suitcases. Big problem if you don't check bags (and we don't).

And if somebody is wearing them for a week, I don't want the bus seat next to them.

Frankly, I don't give a rip if somebody knows I'm a tourist. Some of the best memories I have of traveling is when a local talked to me because I WAS a tourist!
My boyfriend does. He wears jeans year round, never wears shorts.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I have a couple of pairs and I do take them on some trips.

Yes, they look a bit dorky. That is fine, I don't travel to pick up women (anymore....). People are going to be able to pick me out as a tourist anyway. My accent, speech patterns, destinations, language, unfamiliarity with local currency, camera, are all going to give it away. In many areas, even typical jeans and shirt are going to be different enough to identify you as a tourist. Why worry about one style of pants?

They are useful for a few reasons. Compactness cannot be beat. I can travel for two weeks with only carryon luggage if I pack right, and decisions replacing one pair of convertible pants with shorts AND pants makes the difference.

When I travel I am usually in unfamiliar climates, so I don't really know how to dress. Versatility is best. Added to that, as a tourist I am often out early in the morning (cool), mid-day (hot) and evening (who knows). My daily patterns are much different than when I am at home, and know exactly how I can dress for work.

They are useful when hiking or doing other physical activities. As one's body heats up, going to shorts is nice.

It really depends on the destination though. I am much more likely to pack them on a beach/scuba/hiking/sailing/camping vacation than I am if I am going to a European city for a week. I wouldn't wear them visiting the family in Cleveland, or spending a week visiting the Smithsonian.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
These types of pants were actually an everyday thing back in the 90’s I think. I remember my then-husband had a pair that he wore regularly. I don’t know if he actually ever zipped the legs off, though.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Shorts take up very little space in your luggage and zipper-off pant legs are irritating and not nice looking at all. Besides that, they are VERY long shorts which kind of defeat the purpose IMO.

If you wear lightweight pants and roll up a light pair of shorts and stuff them into your carry-on, what's the "big" problem?

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Shorts take up very little space in your luggage and zipper-off pant legs are irritating and not nice looking at all. Besides that, they are VERY long shorts which kind of defeat the purpose IMO.
I'm not disputing the looks, but as far as the length goes, those are about the length of the shorts I usually wear. Not everyone wears really short shorts.

Quote:
If you wear lightweight pants and roll up a light pair of shorts and stuff them into your carry-on, what's the "big" problem?
Weight. One pair of travel pants will weigh less than one pair of long pants + one pair of shorts. It may not seem like much, but if you're trying to travel carryon-only those ounces add up. And many foreign airlines have tough weight limits for carryons. Three sets of travel pants replaces six separate items (three shorts and three long pants). For a casual trip, that makes them the more practical choice. (Obviously there not suited for situations where looks count.)

(I've just finished packing for an upcoming trip I hope to do carryon-only, and am probably going to go back and pull several items of clothing out just to get the overall weight down. I don't like doing it, but I don't want to have to check a bag for this trip, either, and right now the weight of my carryon is pushing things.)

Old 07-31-2017, 03:18 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Other than that, they are a wonderful way to be singled out as a gadget-loving clueless tourist...
I chuckled at this since my gadget loving friend got a couple of them for the vacations abroad and insisted on gifting one for me so that I could go from long pants to shorts in a zip.

Alas, I have worn it only once and never unzipped it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel