Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times

Advertisements

Amsterdam is my favorite followed closely by Bruges (not see that's a true city though). London and Paris are a bit too western and Brussels was too corporate feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We all have our choices and our own taste but this one surprised me.
Why would it surprise you so much? OK it might not be a 'favourite' but to be surprised that it is somebodies favourite is a 'surprise'. London is one of only two AA cities I believe? (the other being New York) and for you to be surprised somebody 'likes' it suggests that the city has a lot 'missing'. London has just about everything you can have in a city, Food, entertainment, world class museums, sport probably unmatched anywhere in the world, so many touristy things to see and do that you will need a month to see them all, OK not a favourite fair enough but to be 'surprised' somebody else likes it there? I don't see it. What does London actually 'lack'?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:48 AM

360 posts, read 372,143 times
I also like Riga

Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Another London fan here. There is no central tourist district, so you have to be willing to get around a bit to fully see all the good stuff. And this is much good stuff and history- museums, great architecture, shopping if that's your thing. But at the same time there's all this amazing history, it's not stuck in time like some sort of European theme park and is truly a great crossroad of the world. You'll find yourself surrounded by North American college kids in a museum or bar, discover the park down the street from your hotel is crowded with Indian women in saris, go to the mall and see another swarm of women in hijabs (and then get back to your room flip through the tv channels, and find the Ramadan charity telethon- only £40 to a fund cataract back in Africa- on the Somali public access station.

Venture away from the neat tourist timetable, and it can be a wonderfully meesy place with great energy.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
For me, London was just like DC, except with much better architecture. It didn't feel "European", at all. I enjoyed it, and would certainly visit again; but never got the "European" vibe.
So you're saying Eastern Market in DC is just like Borough Market in London, with better architecture? Buckingham Palace is just like White House, with better architecture? London's Tube is just like DC's Metro? Riiiight.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 PM

337 posts, read 276,465 times
Paris
Rome

Honorable mention- London. The history there is incredible, most of the attractions are free, and I actually like the food lol. I didn't really find it as expensive as people said it was but I do things on the cheap. The main expense was lodging which was high.

I realize my choices are more touristy than others picking places in Eastern and Central Europe. Eastern Europe just doesn't interest me, and while some places in Central Europe interest me, I'm in no hurry to get there until I finish going to my musts even if it's a 3rd trip lol.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Maastricht is pretty sweet! But no water front.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

I enjoyed Venice far more than I had expected.

Amsterdam and Copenhagen too.

Amsterdam is the winner (so far). Many more cities to enjoy! (But I am not a 'city' person)

Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Krakow
Prague
Budapest
Amsterdam

But I prefer the small towns such as;

Durnstein
Cesky Krumlov
Olomouc
etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
London
Edinburgh
Paris
Ghent
Lisbon
Cork

Old 08-05-2017, 06:35 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Naples - hands down my favorite city in Europe.
Rome
Budapest
Vienna
Cesky Krumlov
Chania
Lyon
Bucharest
Aix
Innsbruck
Padua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel