Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
.... I want to travel. I want to go to Miami LA NYC again Toronto and London etc. Though I work 2 minimum wage jobs. ....... I dont have any money.

I do have enough to travel but I REALLY want to move out of my parents house.

..... I am in school to I am getting a degree in TV production. Anyways what can I do to travel more when I earn so little and trying to save to move out?

Dear you are all over the map here...

First - you need to prioritize what's important: travel or moving out of parents house? Set a goal & focus.

Second - You need to get a better job. It's good that you are going to school. Getting a degree in TV production isn't a great idea frankly, look around you: every yutz in pants has a video camera on them & publishes it to hundreds of millions of youTube, etc.. channels every hour and that is only increasing & diluting the audiences which means the "TV production" broadcast outlets have less & less money to pay less & less people & the jobs & wages are getting smaller daily. Plus if you stand any chance at all at making a meager living you will have to move to NYC, LA or DC & get a gig there.

I know of what I speak since I spent close to 40 years working in TV - media is in a turbulent time now, layoffs weekly. You would be better to study digital electronic engineering if you want to have a good shot of steady employment in TV.

If you really have a great idea for tv production start your youtube channel & start producing & marketing now!

The military suggestions aren't bad if you are stuck. But you need to prioritize a specific goal & focus like crazy on getting it done.

You want a great job? Become a pharmacist, you'll start around $100K/yr, more than 2-3X your short lived tv job, & no heavy lifting, no horrible hours, no moving equipment in the rain/snow & you'll be guaranteed work as all us old boomers need more & more meds! And you can find a job anywhere you want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 PM

337 posts, read 276,502 times
While I was in college I worked part time (minimum wage) and saved the money to travel during a couple of breaks. I didn't though have any debt. I worked since I was 16 and paid my way through school not taking a penny in loans or anything. I went to a state school. It was important to me not to have loans that I could have had if I went to more expensive schools.

If I were you, do a study abroad program. Many have agreements where it's the same price as your current school. One of my regrets was not doing a study abroad program when I was younger.

With traveling in your 20s, I found usually the airline ticket is the biggest expense as hostels are pretty inexpensive, most include a basic breakfast (toast, cereal, coffee), and you could just eat from supermarkets and casual restaurants when you want to eat out. The price of attractions usually do add up so take advantage of student prices. I've also had great deals off buying passes from people on Ebay and Craigslist who had canceled their trips (granted something could be fraudulent but I never encountered this).

Old 08-04-2017, 07:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
It's been pointed out to me that OP is a guy, and I've been referring to him as a 'she' and 'her', etc.

Sorry OP.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I wouldn't put much stock in the idea that a career in "TV production" would lead too far it the direction of a better life; it sounds like one of those "candy" degrees that doesn't have much power in the real world without experience -- which can be hard to get, especially if not starting out until one's late twenties.
LOL!

I met my first husband when we were both in a Television Production Technology program in college. I never worked in TV after leaving school but he spent his entire career in broadcast television, the last 30 years at KTLA in Los Angeles.

That "candy" degree can lead to an internship and that's where you get your real-life experience.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Do not use credit cards or otherwise go into debt. Bring in freelance income to fund your travel. Choose something you can do from anywhere with an Internet connection. SEO, social media marketing, web design/development, content writing, etc. I'm sure there are tons of other options. You're young and unencumbered... you should be able to do this without a problem. Check out Niall Doherty's blog (Google it; I think we're not supposed to post links). He has been traveling around the world for years without a steady "day job."

Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
The simplest answer to this is that if you are 26 and still living with your parents, you DON'T travel. Your whole objective in your life should be to get out on your own. It's not that difficult.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Find a better paying job, save up and then travel.

Cheap ways is to stay in hostels, sleep in the car, air bnb, camping. That's how my interns do it.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:28 AM

337 posts, read 276,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
The simplest answer to this is that if you are 26 and still living with your parents, you DON'T travel. Your whole objective in your life should be to get out on your own. It's not that difficult.
I have to disagree with that as it depends on your own perspective. To me assuming you get along with your family and aren't miserable, better to save $$ living at home and using that $ to travel versus moving out, and waiting more time to travel. To me it's a bit foolish to let your rental just sit there (most places won't allow you to sublet anymore) as you are traveling for an extended period of time.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
In the real world, people making minimum wage don't travel much. They are hustling to get enough for food and shelter. And if you want to move out there is no way you can travel because you will be paying rent. If I was in your shoes, the priorities would be as follows: Finish education and get a better job, move out, and last...travel.

The first couple items will make you money for the rest of your life. The last couple items cost you money you don't have right now.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:15 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In time, you will find that "they" are incorrect. Your best years are still ahead of you. (I'm 51, and I'm living the best years of my life right now!)

If you have a car and a friend or two or three, you can travel fairly cheaply. Not overseas, of course, but there's a whole lot worth seeing right here in the U.S. of A. Fuel costs and hotel costs and "per-car" admission fees can be split amongst your friends. Lots of hotels include breakfast, so if you stay at one of those places you can save a little more. Or, if you enjoy camping, you can bring a tent and save even more.

One word of advice is, be very clear with your friends about how you will split the costs. You don't want to risk having to hold the bag if they fail to chip in for their share.
Completely agree. Only high-schoolers think that your 20's are the best years of your life.

I'm in my early 40's and am still working up to the best years of my life. My 20's were fun for what they were - lots of partying and drinking in college, but that stuff gets old quick. My life got immediately better when I "settled down" and started a family.

And once I actually had a decent job - I had money to travel with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel