Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:52 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Too dangerous
LOL. No, it's not. The places tourists visit aren't in the 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
2 day road trip with a baby and a toddler? Myrtle Beach is your answer
I don't think so. OP is lives in SC so probably has been there, done that, and looking for a good road trip. I am in SC and have family in Chicago. Long drive, but lots to do, Navy Pier, Legoland, Zoo, etc.

A little closer to home and also family oriented, would be Williamsburg, VA, Gatlingburg, TN, etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 PM

810 posts, read 667,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I don't think so. OP is lives in SC so probably has been there, done that, and looking for a good road trip. I am in SC and have family in Chicago. Long drive, but lots to do, Navy Pier, Legoland, Zoo, etc.

A little closer to home and also family oriented, would be Williamsburg, VA, Gatlingburg, TN, etc.
LOL I know that .... was just being cheeky

Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Downtown Chicago is typically NOT dangerous!! You're thinking of some bad parts of Chicago, but not downtown! All the shooting are in really bad parts of Chicago and usually all big cities have these areas somewhere. Chicago is a really big city. Don't be intimidated!

Chicago has lots to do such as beaches along Lake Michigan, Willis Tower, Magnificent Mile (shopping), Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo, many many restaurants, Navy Pier, etc... all downtown!! https://www.choosechicago.com/

Gatlinburg, TN in the Rocky mountains is BEAUTIFUL!! Lots to do for families!!

https://www.gatlinburg.com/

Virginia Beach

Visit Virginia Beach In the Summer

Old 08-05-2017, 06:05 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'll add that Cleveland is the single most UNDERRATED city we've ever visited, domestically or internationally. Rock and roll hall of fame, pro football hall of fame in nearby Canton, boat tour down the Cuyahoga river, some great little restaurants (especially in the Tremont area), Westside market, a cool little downtown area that is closed to traffic.

Maybe not so much fun for the kiddies, but I don't see 28 hours in the car over a space of 3-4 days as fun first he kids, either. OR the parents!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:29 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
[quote=CGab;49082356]Downtown Chicago is typically NOT dangerous!! You're thinking of some bad parts of Chicago, but not downtown! All the shooting are in really bad parts of Chicago and usually all big cities have these areas somewhere. Chicago is a really big city. Don't be intimidated!

The shootings occur all over Chicagoland. 2230 so far this year. On a par with Baghdad.

Chicago has lots to do such as beaches along Lake Michigan, Willis Tower, Magnificent Mile (shopping), Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Lincoln Park Zoo, many many restaurants, Navy Pier, etc... all downtown!! https://www.choosechicago.com/

Those are mostly man made oddities. Something you might see on a crummy day in the winter and not on a summer vacation. JMO

Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Gatlinburg, TN in the Rocky mountains is BEAUTIFUL!! Lots to do for families!!

https://www.gatlinburg.com/
Not sure how Gatlinburg is doing after the fires. I was up there 3 or 4 years ago and.. It was just too... Everything for me.

Putt-Putt, Antique Store, Pancake House, lather, rinse, repeat.

We actually had a more enjoyable time staying in at the cabin we rented and just sitting on the porch.

Probably a tad far.. But I've done the drive before, it's about 15 hours.. Could go up to Des Moines, IA.. Fair is in town. I'm actually going up there this coming weekend, but, i'm flying.. My dad says there's a corn festival as well that we'll wind up going to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel