Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 PM

63 posts, read 100,779 times

Advertisements

Hello Wanderlusts!

First off, thank you for reading this and helping if you can! I really appreciate your time. Also a thank you shout out to ersatz for suggesting that I post questions here.

My family and I are moving from Sacramento, CA to the Roanoke, VA area soon and are looking for some cross-country moving advice.

MOVING METHOD: We currently have a 2,500 sq. ft., 4-bedroom house with lots of stuff stored in the garage. We plan on using the U-Pack company to get everything out there.

We are looking at homes now but won't move until we close. We're hoping that will be in late October but it could stretch into the spring. Fingers crossed that it will be sooner because we really want to get out there!

TRAVEL: We have two Volvo wagons to accommodate my husband and I, three kids, three dogs, and one cat (oh my!). We are torn between making the trip comfortable but fast or, taking a little more time to show the kids the country. My husband travels for a living so he has thousands of points we can use to stay in hotels along the way for free. We have a certified service animal so that covers the animals with a little bit of care.

We can go I-80 which takes us straight to Roanoke. If we drove 80 at 8 hours a day we figure it will take us about 5 days to get there. It would go through Salt Lake, up over CO via lower WY, through NE, MO, IL, KY, WV, then VA.

Alternatively, if we drive south in CA to travel on 10 or 40, it will take longer but is a little bit more scenic (as far as I know). I wouldn't want to do I-10 but considering I-40 so the kids can see the Grand Canyon and we have friends in St. Louis we would like to see so they'll see the Arch. Wherever we stop, it won't be for terribly long.

Do y'all have any suggestions for routes? Particularly if we go the I-40 route when we get to the TN/KY lines? If we wind up traveling in winter, we could skip the Rockies -- again on 80.

Have any of you guys travelled that far with a big crew? I think it will be nuts but we're choosing to look at it as an adventure.

If we could choose, what is the best month to move? (We were thinking October to miss the winter snow).

Traveling advice? Moving tips and advice?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke Bound View Post
Traveling advice? Moving tips and advice?
Cross one bridge at a time, don't confuse moving across country with traveling across,
... and don't plan to actually enjoy either by road once the cold/snow seasons begin.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
How old are your kids? Old enough to appreciate the scenery? Too young to tolerate 8 hours in the car for 5 straight days?

I'd do the sight seeing if it was me.

there is a website called Roadtrippers that might help plan a route.

As for your 2,500sf of stuff? PURGE!
I used ABF U-Pack and was very satisfied with the price.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
FYI: C-D has a General Moving Issues forum that you might find helpful: //www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 08-05-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
How old are your kids? Old enough to appreciate the scenery? Too young to tolerate 8 hours in the car for 5 straight days?

I'd do the sight seeing if it was me.

there is a website called Roadtrippers that might help plan a route.

As for your 2,500sf of stuff? PURGE!
I used ABF U-Pack and was very satisfied with the price.

Awesome! Thanks for that, Stagemomma.

We will definitely purge. I usually do it every three months but we are behind this year.

Oldest child is a 23 year old Autistic daughter and then two boys, 13 and 10.

Will check out Roadtrippers. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Cross one bridge at a time, don't confuse moving across country with traveling across,
... and don't plan to actually enjoy either by road once the cold/snow seasons begin.
Nor totally understand you. Can you clarify? Our home is being moved my movers so we'll just be driving our families. :-)

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel