Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

In preparing for a future trip to Europe, I got a very reasonable price for my desired destination, but it is with Aeroflot and stopovers in SVO. The stopover is like 12 hours! I've never flown Aeroflot, have no idea what to expect, nor have I ever been to Moscow.

Has anyone had a stopover recently in SVO, stayed in a courtesy lounge, slept on the floor, what can one expect to do? Will I have to convert money to rubles?

Any info would be welcome - thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 06:10 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Funny timing, I just did same thing two days ago for same reason = way cheaper for my route.

Aeroflot itself was fine, the plane across the pond was a A330 in a 2-4-2 seat configuration for peasant class (that's us). Plane was in good shape, had a good seat back entertainment system, meals were actually pretty good and all announcements were in Russian and English.

SVO is so-so for an overnight stay, main problems:
1. Some areas are really cold despite it being August
2. I could only find one water fountain in terminal D and it was out of order
3. Seats all have hand rails between them so hard to stretch out on one set

On the plus side there is a 24 hour Burger King with reasonable prices downstairs and various other restaurants upstairs including a TGI Fridays and some coffee shops. There are also little shops open 24/7 where can buy water bottles and snacks. I used credit card at BK and one of the convenience stores so no need to convert to rubles.

For warmth go downstairs (I think it's gates 1-5 not sure) for whatever reason it is much warmer down there and a much better place to sleep. If it's not too crowded you can push two facing sets of chairs together to form a comfortable bed, go for the corner areas for less foot traffic and people talking. There are also several free cell phone charging stations, including one downstairs where it is warmer.

This is info is for terminal D, I've not done an overnight in other ones and I didn't sleep in a courtesy lounge.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Some additional details here:

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/moscow.htm

Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM

The flight from LAX to SVO is on a Boeing 777. It appears from some digging that we could book access to one of the lounges for around $40/person, which seems to make sense. I'm going to do a little more digging before we pull the trigger on this trip.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:52 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Been thinking of the same thing, as I continually see flights to where I want to go from LAX with a similar situation. Is it possible to leave the airport and do something and come back? Or too much of a hassle?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Been thinking of the same thing, as I continually see flights to where I want to go from LAX with a similar situation. Is it possible to leave the airport and do something and come back? Or too much of a hassle?
You may have to get a visa to leave the airport, I think I read something along those lines as I've been researching this trip.

I'll have to decide soon as the ticket price has already jumped up overnight.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You may have to get a visa to leave the airport, I think I read something along those lines as I've been researching this trip.

I'll have to decide soon as the ticket price has already jumped up overnight.
That was what I was thinking too...

I'll just stick to cheap Delta flights!

Old 08-15-2017, 07:01 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Americans needs a visa to visit Russia. Not sure if there is any kind of transit vise that can be issues at the airport for a very short visit...

Old 08-15-2017, 09:02 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
You don't need a transit visa if you're just spending the night in the airport. Just follow the signs saying "international transfers" and you'll go through an immigration/security checkpoint but they'll just stamp your onward ticket then you're through the shops and into the area with the gates.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You don't need a transit visa if you're just spending the night in the airport. Just follow the signs saying "international transfers" and you'll go through an immigration/security checkpoint but they'll just stamp your onward ticket then you're through the shops and into the area with the gates.
The mention of visa was to the poster who was wondering if they could leave the terminal and do a little wandering around Moscow and then return to the airport for the connecting flight. It is understood that a flight connecting in a foreign country doesn't require a visa, so long as the traveler is flying to another country on the connecting flight and doesn't exit the terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel