Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times

Advertisements

Planning a vacation is almost as much fun for me as the trip itself. I love the research! A travel agent would take all the fun out of it for me. I've never been to London, but as others have said, there is no reason you can't do it on your own.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Planning a vacation is almost as much fun for me as the trip itself. I love the research! A travel agent would take all the fun out of it for me. I've never been to London, but as others have said, there is no reason you can't do it on your own.
TOTALLY agree!!! The planning adds to the anticipation. I've already started researching for a Europe trip that I probably won't be able to pull off for a few more years. But I love mapping out the sites and agendas and it helps motivate me to save up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Do people still use travel agents? Is that still an industry?

Dude, you are going to England, you don't need a travel agent. You just need the internet and some time.
You have no idea what you are talking about? the business is thriving and can be very helpful in some circumstances, especially for novice traveler or when traveling out of the country.

There are times when doing it yourself isn't the best way. There are times when it might be.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've never used a travel agent. I don't even really understand the point of them. To avoid hassles when something goes wrong, it's always best to book directly with an airline/hotel, so as to avoid having to work through a third party.

As for apartments, make sure you check into the legality of it. Many cities with housing shortages--NYC, Paris, Barcelona come to mind--are cracking down on short-term housing rentals via AirBnB and the like. And where the law won't step in, other occupants of the buildings in these cities often do, since living with a revolving door of tourists lowers their quality of life.
sorry, it is just the opposite: it is better to have a travel agent in case something does go wrong. They have the expertise to know how to handle problems. Of course this is only if one uses a reliable one and not just an order taker. I can't see why the hesitation. Most of them don't charge anything or very little, like $20 for the entire transaction. They can advise where to stay, the best deals, scams to watch out for, and so much more.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
But some simple research can also provide information about where to stay, deals, scams, etc. I guess I just can't think of a situation in any trip I have taken--particularly somewhere as "easy" as London--where a situation arose where a remote travel agent could handle anything differently or better than I could.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about? the business is thriving and can be very helpful in some circumstances, especially for novice traveler or when traveling out of the country.

There are times when doing it yourself isn't the best way. There are times when it might be.
This totally depends on where you are located. We don't have travel agents where I live. They've all closed up shop due to the lack of business. To find a travel agent, I have to travel at least an hour....time I could spend doing tons of research on my own for free.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:

definitely not the times you visit a first world city like London where everything is so convenient. They even speak damn English.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
sorry, it is just the opposite: it is better to have a travel agent in case something does go wrong. They have the expertise to know how to handle problems. Of course this is only if one uses a reliable one and not just an order taker. I can't see why the hesitation. Most of them don't charge anything or very little, like $20 for the entire transaction. They can advise where to stay, the best deals, scams to watch out for, and so much more.
for $20 I am not sure how much thought/times you would get. I am sure they mostly serve 80 years olds who never used the internet.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
for $20 I am not sure how much thought/times you would get. I am sure they mostly serve 80 years olds who never used the internet.
You can easily spend $20 on a map book. I'm not sure I'd want any travel advice for $20 from a paid professional.....you do get what you pay for! I don't know anyone who has paid a travel agent $20 in this millennium.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:15 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Agree 100%. Unless you like doing things yourself I find it easier and cheaper to use a travel agent. Ad they don't charge me a fee for their work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel