Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 PM

108 posts, read 148,487 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been looking at hotel rooms, and Motel 6 locations, near Point Judith, Rhode Island, and I'm surprised to see how expensive rooms in the area are, and in how many negative reviews there are. I was really hoping to be able to find a room for around $50-$60 per night (which, to my knowledge, is possible in the Phoenix area and around Arizona), but I'm not sure if that's going to be realistic near Point Judith.

So, I wanted to ask, in case anyone is familiar with Point Judith or the area around it, are there are specific nearby cities where I could be searching for more-affordable rooms in? Even if it's a little further away than I had mentioned in my previous post. I guess that finding a room that is up to even up to 40-50 miles away from Point Judith would be reasonable?

As always, helpful replies/suggestions/advice will be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Its still "Prime" weekend vacation/trip time in New England. I would look up in the more Urban area's away from the water, Weekend rates in providence ri tend to be better then around the water.

Parking @ the airport itself will be $9/day or portion of it.

There are often offsite lots that are a few dollars cheaper per day. Just google it...

Going up form CapeMay to RI will be a reverse direction of most if the traffic will not be bad until you get to the Tappan Zee or GWB approaches (The Tappan Zee Bridge is "Cashless" so the rental car will get charged by its plate/ezpass + fees, ) You can go over the George Washington Bridge (Lots more traffic, But you can pay the toll in cash) . There you will get into the NYC outbound traffic, It will be SLOW all the way up I95.

Many of the roads are toll roads, Most you can Pay with Cash, (warning the EZ-Pass Transponder the Rental Car will have will charge you a daily fee + tolls, The daily fee is everyday even if you don't go thru a toll)

Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Pictures, You can take picture thru the windows of the airplane without a problem, there would be no issue doing that. The FA's and other passengers are not big on lots of random pictures around the inside of the airplane.

Going into MSP I would suggest sitting on the left side of the plane
Going into DTW If the flight is from PHL-DTW be on the Right side of the plane, PHX-DTW Be on the left side of the plane

The above are for the normal wind/landing pattern.

Yes, the route from Camp May to RI is sort of up the coast but you will be inland some, Buy in large the route does not take you thru any "Downtown" parts of cities, You should just stay on the Interstates.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
OK, I've been looking at hotel rooms, and Motel 6 locations, near Point Judith, Rhode Island, and I'm surprised to see how expensive rooms in the area are, and in how many negative reviews there are. I was really hoping to be able to find a room for around $50-$60 per night (which, to my knowledge, is possible in the Phoenix area and around Arizona), but I'm not sure if that's going to be realistic near Point Judith.

So, I wanted to ask, in case anyone is familiar with Point Judith or the area around it, are there are specific nearby cities where I could be searching for more-affordable rooms in? Even if it's a little further away than I had mentioned in my previous post. I guess that finding a room that is up to even up to 40-50 miles away from Point Judith would be reasonable?

As always, helpful replies/suggestions/advice will be very much appreciated!
First paragraph: no, you won't find hotel rooms in the Phoenix area for $50- 60 unless you like to be in a dreadful, dangerous area. And you sure won't find them during high season. I'm not familiar with RI, but I'm thinking that it still high season up there 9or at least, shoulder season). You're expectations for hotel prices is unreasonable. And don't forget to add taxes.

Paragraph 2: ask your question on the relevant RI board on CD. And do you REALLY want to waste 1.5-2 hours commuting to your hotel room that is 40-50 miles away just to save a buck (which will disappear at the gas pump)?

Other thoughts: which airport are you using to fly home? If Philly, that's a hellava lot of time on the road for a 4 day trip! A bit nuts, if you ask me. And if you're flying home from an airport near RI, have you told the rental company and added in the price that is added for a one-way rental???

BTW - for future assistance to others who might happen upon this thread later, how did you resolve the car rental without a credit card?

Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Go to the airports website and look under parking, it will tell you the rate for long term parking.
$50-60 a night room rate in Rhode Island, don't think you will find it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Go to the airports website and look under parking, it will tell you the rate for long term parking.
$50-60 a night room rate in Rhode Island, don't think you will find it.
Not on a weekend. Midweek, sure. I see $60 for a 2 1/2 star in Coventry-West Warwick on Priceline. I imagine that's something next to T.F. Green. You're not going to get ocean view on the beach on the cheap at this time of year without paying for it.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I just checked Spirit Airlines website. Phoenix to Atlantic City round trip 9/21 and 9/23 is $542.55, which includes a rental car.

What would be a problem for me is that both go via Dallas and Ft. Lauderdale so you will spend all day in transit.

You'll probably be able to choose your seat.

TSA doesn't care about chargers. They usually fish my flashlight out of my purse to see what it is, but let it through. The TSA website is very informative.

I don't know about debit vs. credit card: you'll want to check into that.

Congratulations to you and your son. It's a major accomplishment!

Safe travels!
Spirit isn't great - they are a bare bones airlines, in that you have to pay for everything. I've done it for a 2hr flight, would I go cross-country on them? No.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Another option is NJ Transit trains or buses... I don't know if it will be cheaper or faster but if you didn't want to drive or couldn't get a car, maybe that would be an option from either of the airports.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
BTW - for future assistance to others who might happen upon this thread later, how did you resolve the car rental without a credit card?
I am not sure if this applies cause I did not read the relevant previous portion of the discussion, but I know for a fact that some rental car companies in the past year have allowed the use of a debit card, applying a $200-400 hold.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Renegade View Post
Hey, y'all. Sorry for not replying sooner. As I mentioned, I work nights, and I also have a long commute, and with the stress I've been dealing with lately, I'm seriously tired and can't seem to think clearly much of the time, due to having so many things to thin/worry about.

As for an update on my situation, I'll try to answer a few questions/respond to some of the things I've seen posted: As of today, I have my flight booked out there to the East Coast and back to Arizona. This is largely/almost entirely due to a generous friend who used his points to book both of my flights (which I am genuinely grateful for)! He could not cover both flights with his points, so I needed to pay the difference/remainder, which ended up being $250. I also should have a rental car situation taken care of, so that's great to have out of the way. And I have a hotel room booked for the Cape May area on Thursday night; however, as I think I may have mentioned, there was a possibility of me staying out there for 4 days, instead of 1 day, and that is what I am going to end up doing. So, I now need to try to find a hotel/motel to stay in near the area of Point Judith, Rhode Island, for 3 nights (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 22nd-24th), as I will be driving with my son up to Rhode Island immediately after the boot camp graduation ends on Friday afternoon (right around noon, actually, I believe).

If anyone has any suggestions about what I might want to try to do to try to find a decent/affordable hotel/motel in or even near Point Judith, Rhode Island, please do let me know. Obviously, I don't know the Point Judith area, but I'm assuming there are several other cities with hotels near there, so if I can find a decent, affordable hotel to stay at that's at least relatively close to Point Judith (within 20-30 minutes driving), that should be fine. I'm hoping to be able to find a room for around $50-$60 per night, so I hope that's going to be realistically possible.

My son had originally planned on/wanted to come home for a few days after boot camp, but it would be really expensive, and inconvenient, so we are going to try to get him up to the Point Judith, Rhode Island, area on Friday night, so that we can spend the weekend looking for apartments and a vehicle. So, that's why I will be staying over on the East Coast for 4 days, and why I am going to be looking for a hotel room in/near Point Judith next Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Also, before I forget (and sorry for writing yet another lengthy post), I wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about airport parking? I looked online, but saw several different prices, so I don't know what is current and accurate. I will be flying out of Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona, and I was thinking about driving my car there and leaving it at the airport for 5 days (leaving it Thursday morning and picking it up on Monday evening), but I have no idea how much this might cost.

Is typical airport parking like $5 per day? $10? $20? More? If someone has a helpful answer to this, that would be something I would really like to try to find out. And if anyone has left a vehicle at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport recently and could let me know how much parking was, I would really appreciate a response!

As for taking pictures with my digital camera, I don't have much interest in taking pictures of the inside of the airplane. Especially, since it might be perceived as being suspicious by airline employees; and also because it might **** off other passengers, if they were to think I was tying to take pictures of them, which I would be embarrassed to even try to do. So, my purpose for wanting to take pictures is specifically because I would like to try to grab some cool photos of stuff while flying, as I really like aerial photographs. Specifically, I would like to try to photograph some skylines, freeway systems, mountains, bodies of water, views of major cities as I'm flying over them, things like those. Assuming that I will be able to see stuff like that while flying, obviously.

If I'm not mistaken, I will have a layover in Minneapolis/St. Paul one way and a layover in Detroit in the other (not sure which layover is for which flight, though), and both cities have really cool skylines, if I'm not mistaken. So, I would really like to try to get some good pictures of both of these skylines (dozens of photos, if possible). And the same goes for Philadelphia, as far as having a nice skyline, so I am hoping to be able to get some good photos of the buildings there, as well.

Also, is anyone familiar with what the drive might be like from Cape May, New Jersey, up to Point Judith, Rhode Island? It looks like the drive will be directly along the coast, but I'm curious if might get to drive by any major East Coast cities along that route? Again, this is because I would really like to try to take some cool photos while being over and traveling across some of the East Coast. I will also be driving back to Philadelphia from Point Judith, RI, which takes me on a different route than I will be taking up there form Cape May, and I think I might actually be driving somewhat close to New York City (but I don't recall for sure), so if it does, I would really like to be able to see, and photograph, some of the spectacular skyline in NYC.

As usual, sorry for writing so much. And, as always, if anyone would like to reply and try to help answer any of my questions, I would really appreciate it!
You can technically go along the whole NJ coast all the way up to the Raritan Bay (water border with Staten Island), it's a pretty drive, but it will take a while (local highways with lights, not every barrier island connects with the others, etc), then you hit the more urban areas very close to the city. You're not really "coastal" again until CT (technically you are but you get major urban vibes not typical coastal ones), but again, taking actual local coastal routes to be along the water will take you so much more time. You're better off sticking to major highways, that's a long drive. Like 5.5 hours without traffic, taking all major highways.

You'll probably wind up taking the Garden State Parkway up to the Turnpike. Then you have a couple options. You can drive over the GW Bridge which will bring you briefly into Manhattan, then through the Bronx to Westchester County into CT, then go coastal CT to RI. The coastal CT route most practical though is highway, not like immediately hugging the coastline with pretty water quaint coastal town views the whole time. You'll take 95 basically from the point in NJ where you'll switch to the Turnpike to your destination in RI. You could also take the Tappan Zee Bridge over the Hudson in Rockland and Westchester Counties, NY, which has some nice views, then into CT, but it's not quite as direct.

You will definitely have the opportunity to see the NYC skyline no matter which way you go, it's unavoidable when going from NJ into NY. You may not go through the city itself, but you can see it. On a clear day, you can even see it straight down the Hudson from the Tappan Zee. The GWB route would probably be your most scenic though if you want to see the city. You're not there long but it's a cool bridge to drive over. You'll be able to see the skyline from basically all of northeastern NJ that you'll be driving through, as well, at multiple points on that drive. That's basically the only major city you'll see. You'll see Jersey City's buildings along the water, and Newark has a decent skyline, and you'll see that, too. But that's really it, I'm not familiar with CT's cities.

It's a shame you can't stay in Cape May longer. It's a beautiful, historic town. If you like Victorian architecture and a super old town (early 1600s), and the beach, you'd like it a lot. One of my friends is from Orange County, CA, her grandparents live in the San Jose area, and she had a cousin from WA that graduated from the Coast Guard. Her family came out for the ceremony and they loved Cape May. It's hard not to like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel