Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM

243 posts, read 224,761 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a random question... I'm travelling from LAX to JFK and I was wondering if paying for Delta Comfort + is worth it. I'm a big guy, so the more space, the better for me... but for those of you have used it, how much more room do you really get in comparison to regular seats?

I'm also thinking of just going first class, but is soo pricey!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
We upgrade if the flight is over 3 hours. According to the website, you receive an additional 3 inches of legroom for a domestic flight. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...fort-plus.html

In my opinion, those couple of inches make a big difference of a longer flight.

Here is a comparison chart https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...fort-plus.html

It's a lot less expensive than first class for sure! I think Delta offers you free beer, wine and cocktails on a domestic flight too. There are not many comfort plus seats so book it as early as possible.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I travel it all the time but get free upgrades to it via my FF status.
You get more leg room, maybe 4 inches. However you get no additional width. If you are big as in "wide" it won't help much. You also get free adult beverages which if you have a few may address comfort issues, or make it easier to endure.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
yes.. As a fellow big guy, these seats are great... I try to shoot for the bulkhead seats, those tend to have legroom for days on Delta

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
When these programs were first introduced, I would have said yes. Lately though even the 'comfort' or 'plus' rows have gotten squeezed along with all the other rows, to the point that you're paying anywhere from $25 to $100 extra for only an inch or so of extra space.

On top of that, if the flight gets rebooked, you do not get a refund...whether it's from a weather delay or a schedule conflict requires that you rebook, it's a non-refundable fee.

I don't like the bulkhead or exit row seats as they have the tray-tables in the armrests, which actually makes the seats narrower than regular cattle class seats. It feels more constricting.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 AM

360 posts, read 372,288 times
Delta comfort is very good for less than $100 you can have many room more than te economy seats

Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Yeah you gotta be careful about bulkhead seats. For some they may be the best coach seats on the plane. But then again some, depending on aircraft, you actually decrease space in both legroom (as the immovable bulkhead is right there) and width (as they have tray tables and movie screen built into the seat). Or they might be near the bathrooms and you have to match the extra leg room vs. people always standing in the space and....the smell. Some of the exit rows seats near the window likewise have the main door intruding into your leg space.
That's where internet sites such as Seat Guru come in handy.

Likewise Delta Comfort - they may be middle seats. Don't pay the extra delta comfort charge for a middle seat, NO WAY - I wouldn't even take my free upgrades to a middle seat. You should have your choice of seat so, what should be obvious - a middle "delta comfort" seat will never trump a regular coach window or aisle seat. They suck under all circumstances with people on both sides of you.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:08 PM

243 posts, read 224,761 times
Thanks for all the responses guys.
At the end, I ended up not getting Delta+

Instead, and this might be risky thing to do, but I booked Virgin America on regular economy. But they have this program where depending on availability, you can upgrade to First Class within 6 hours of the flight for about $300. Comparing it to how much a first class ticket costs, $300 is a regular good deal.

I'm going from LAX to JFK on October 5.... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post

On top of that, if the flight gets rebooked, you do not get a refund...whether it's from a weather delay or a schedule conflict requires that you rebook, it's a non-refundable fee.
You can get a refund on Comfort+ seating for IRROPS reasons. I have in the past. You just need to get your call sent to a next level customer service agent who has the computer system permissions to see the details of how the ticket was booked. The front line customer support people only see the record of how you actually flew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel