Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 03:40 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

???? Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Nope. My father traveled internationally for work (over a period of about 30 years), and always had a strict rule on this - if you don't actually LEAVE the airport's boundaries, it doesn't count! He saw airports almost like international waters, and therefore not "belonging" to the local country/city. That's why I don't claim I've been to Chicago or Dallas, even though I've been to their airports probably a dozen+ times.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
???? Who cares?
The OP, obviously. And it's a valid question, especially if you frequent online discussion forums... where people, you know, discuss things like "where have you been?"

Old 09-24-2017, 06:37 PM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
I had a layover in Doha. I don't claim I've been the Quatar. I do claim I've been to DOH. That is one amazing airport, particularly the business class lounge. But if someone asked me where to eat in Doha, I'd have no idea.

I've been to the new Hong Kong airport, and the old one. The buildings and scenery you see from the new airport are not Hong Kong proper, but are newer areas on the China mainland portion of Hong Kong. They are not the buildings of Kowloon or Hong Kong island.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
I don't. But apparently the idiot TSA guy wanted to know "ALL THE PLACES I HAD BEEN" and got pissed because I didn't mention that one country I had been in.

Well, I've learned. If it doesn't have a STAMP, I don't mention it to TSA.
Why would the TSA care about what countries you visited?

Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would the TSA care about what countries you visited?
I find it pretty suspect too.

Sometimes an officer from U.S. Customs and Border Protection is interested in where you have been when arriving US port of entry since it's related to their job, but TSA? Their interest in a passport is as an ID to match it to your plane ticket, since that is a security related issue for entering the restricted zone of an airport. They have nothing to do with your travel history.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I've often wondered if you visit Tahiti does that count as a visit to France? What about if you have been to both? ( I believe it is officially a "department" of France, or some such designator.)
I've been to around 100 countries on 6 continents and when asked I reply "about 100" because of places like Tahiti. Not sure what is reasonable...
How about the Vatican? It is officially an independent country but is within the city of Rome. How about Monaco? I believe it is a principality of France, and will revert to France if they are ever without a male heir? Swaziland? Cook Islands? The Empty Quarter? Falkland Islands? Gibraltar? Cayman Islands?
Lots of grey areas out there...

Old 09-25-2017, 02:10 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I spent an afternoon at Hong Kong international airport, before taking the long flight back to my home country. I walked around the airport, and got a good look at the city's interesting scenery, through the airport windows. If I tell people that I've been to Hong Kong, is that lying or being disingenuous?
To me, it is incorrect.

Years ago I got in on a late flight from Paris to San Francisco that was to include a brief stop in New York City. Because the flight got in so late, the flight to San Francisco got cancelled until the next day. Therefore, I was put up in a New York City hotel at or near the airport.

I would not call that layover a stop in New York City or state towards "places I have visited".

When mentioned, I include only the JFK portion as an airport that I have used, but not that I have yet visited New York City.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I've often wondered if you visit Tahiti does that count as a visit to France? What about if you have been to both? ( I believe it is officially a "department" of France, or some such designator.)
I've been to around 100 countries on 6 continents and when asked I reply "about 100" because of places like Tahiti. Not sure what is reasonable...
How about the Vatican? It is officially an independent country but is within the city of Rome. How about Monaco? I believe it is a principality of France, and will revert to France if they are ever without a male heir? Swaziland? Cook Islands? The Empty Quarter? Falkland Islands? Gibraltar? Cayman Islands?
Lots of grey areas out there...
If you have been in The Empty Quarter, one way or another, that qualifies as being to Saudi Arabia. If not for access to get there then just because it is such an arduous region.

Let's take Spain for an example such as this. As I said, been there one way or another for I have been in their waters and I've been to Menorca. The way I see it, if you are someplace where you can fall under their laws, you are there.

Now, can I say I've been to Eritrea because I made several visits to Asmara during the early 70s....when that region was Ethiopia?

I would not say that....even if they could extradite me for that little diamond smuggling job back then (jest).

STILL, world travel being such a prize for what it is, I would say to claim as much of it as you can.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If you have been in The Empty Quarter, one way or another, that qualifies as being to Saudi Arabia. If not for access to get there then just because it is such an arduous region.

Let's take Spain for an example such as this. As I said, been there one way or another for I have been in their waters and I've been to Menorca. The way I see it, if you are someplace where you can fall under their laws, you are there.

Now, can I say I've been to Eritrea because I made several visits to Asmara during the early 70s....when that region was Ethiopia?

I would not say that....even if they could extradite me for that little diamond smuggling job back then (jest).

STILL, world travel being such a prize for what it is, I would say to claim as much of it as you can.
Some of the islands or territories are so far away from the mainland, I don't think you can claim it.

Reunion island is in the Indian Ocean. Guadeloupe and Martinique are in the Caribbean. They are France departments and belong to the EU. They all speak French and are French citizens. But I don't think you can say that you visit France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel