Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:21 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times

Advertisements

Are there still plenty of internet cafes in European cities on the continent as there used to be, or do you recommend that I bring my own device and use the free wifi? It has been a while since I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Depends where, but not that plenty anymore. Bring own device. Free WiFi isn't available everywhere either.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,790,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Are there still plenty of internet cafes in European cities on the continent as there used to be, or do you recommend that I bring my own device and use the free wifi? It has been a while since I was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends where, but not that plenty anymore. Bring own device. Free WiFi isn't available everywhere either.
It does depend on the city, but I disagree that free wifi isn't available. It may be rare to find unsecured wifi but I found that most public places offered some free wifi that required either a password or for you to sign in to agree to their terms and conditions. If you want to avoid extra spam you may want to create a special e-mail address to use for those occasions.

Also you may want to check with your cell carrier, companies like Sprint and T-moblie offer free data (usually at a slower speed) while your are out of the country. I know that Sprint will offer you an OK rate to upgrade your speed, I think it was $5 a day or $25 a week.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
I am also surprised there are still many of them and wonder who are the customers.

Even for a tourist, there are plenty of cheap SIM card that is only 10 euros which give you 1-2 gb of data. Why do people go to internet cafes?

Old 09-29-2017, 04:34 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am also surprised there are still many of them and wonder who are the customers.

Even for a tourist, there are plenty of cheap SIM card that is only 10 euros which give you 1-2 gb of data. Why do people go to internet cafes?
I went there years ago because I needed to print something....
I do agree that free unsecured WiFi is offered in some places but you have to obtain a password or be exposed on unsecured connection. OK for a quick surfing but I wouldn't log in for anything more serious.
T-Mobile offers a great plan, in fact I am using it right now:

"Welcome to Germany! Your T-Mobile plan gives you unlimited data up to 2G speeds and texts at no extra cost! Calls at 20 cents/min.
Visit t-mo.co/simpleglobal to read important info about our roaming policy and fair usage. Enjoy your stay!", but the speed is very slow, sending pictures takes forever and some pages don't load at all.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

When I used to go to Europe, I would take a cheap unlocked phone to carry with me for calls. I went to internet cafes to go online and get email. Now I have an unlocked smartphone that I will take abroad and will be able to get online on that, but I want to be able to access the internet on a full size computer screen, or at least the size of a tablet or iPad, and not have to constantly be enlarging or squinting. So I was wondering if I should take another device to access the internet. It would be easier for me to carry less baggage and just go to internet cafes and pay to use their computer. I also used to use their computers when I needed to print something.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
When I used to go to Europe, I would take a cheap unlocked phone to carry with me for calls. I went to internet cafes to go online and get email. Now I have an unlocked smartphone that I will take abroad and will be able to get online on that, but I want to be able to access the internet on a full size computer screen, or at least the size of a tablet or iPad, and not have to constantly be enlarging or squinting. So I was wondering if I should take another device to access the internet. It would be easier for me to carry less baggage and just go to internet cafes and pay to use their computer. I also used to use their computers when I needed to print something.
I don't understand, most hotels provide free wifi, so I just carry my ipad with me to read or even watch movies. If you are doing sightseeing, I don't think you need a big screen to read anything, do you?

Get a local simcard for your phone for 10 euros, can bring your ipad.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:07 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,790,558 times
Quote:
You may want to consider investing in a small convertible laptop like a 10 inch Nextbook. I bought one specifically for traveling. It is light and about the size of ipad but it has a full keyboard and is windows based so I can connect to my work computer if necessary. I don't have any personal documents or files saved on it so if it got lost or stolen I'm only out the cost which is about $100.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:03 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,918,577 times
I think you will find many fewer internet cafes than there used to be.

On the other hand free wifi- while not everywhere- is quite common. You would certainly have it in a hotel. I had no trouble getting access in northern Europe- easy enough that I don't remember where exactly I had it. I do remember having wireless on a bus in Iceland.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,307 times
If you have a smartphone through ATT, there's a very good chance that you can use the day-pass in countries that you visit. You use your very same plan as at home, for $10/day. I have unlimited everything, so it's an amazing deal. I don't care about the cost, if I can access maps, search, social media whenever and as much as I want just like at home. $10/day is negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel