Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:01 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Two senior citizens who don't walk long distances too well, don't like museums to much, and prefer (but don't demand) smaller cities to large, busy, crowded cities. Quaint is better than metropolitan. We don't run around like crazy to see every tourist site - we pick a few and leave the rest. We don't do much shopping unless it's local artsty-farsty stuff to take home. Short boat rides are always fun.

We enjoy small restaurants where locals go, bars/pubs where locals go. We enjoy sitting outside and having coffee while people watching. In Europe, we typically stay a bit off the tourist grid with good public transport in small hotels or B&B's, and Airbnb is definitely an option. (for example, in Rome we stayed in Travestere. In London, we stay near Russel Square.) Uber a bonus. Sidewalk artists/performers are always an added pleasure.

I have some interest in seeing Auchwitz or another CC, but not sure I can get DH to go. Even if I could, he's the type that would hate that visit. So, that's kinda up in the air.

Anywhoo, given the preferences above, which would you choose for 3 days? Prague, Munich or Budapest and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:17 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I prefer Budapest but they are all big European cities and what to like is so subjective.

However Prague has a concentration camp (Terezin) that is an easy bus ride from the city center so that might scratch your Auschwitz itch.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Dachau is a short bus ride from Munich.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
lieqiang is correct that all three are good sized cities. Maybe you'll find a smaller, more compact city (though one with things to do) like Salzburg or Innsbruck more to your liking? Have been to the former, and it's very nice.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Two senior citizens who don't walk long distances too well, don't like museums to much, and prefer (but don't demand) smaller cities to large, busy, crowded cities. Quaint is better than metropolitan. We don't run around like crazy to see every tourist site - we pick a few and leave the rest. We don't do much shopping unless it's local artsty-farsty stuff to take home. Short boat rides are always fun.

We enjoy small restaurants where locals go, bars/pubs where locals go. We enjoy sitting outside and having coffee while people watching. In Europe, we typically stay a bit off the tourist grid with good public transport in small hotels or B&B's, and Airbnb is definitely an option. (for example, in Rome we stayed in Travestere. In London, we stay near Russel Square.) Uber a bonus. Sidewalk artists/performers are always an added pleasure.

I have some interest in seeing Auchwitz or another CC, but not sure I can get DH to go. Even if I could, he's the type that would hate that visit. So, that's kinda up in the air.

Anywhoo, given the preferences above, which would you choose for 3 days? Prague, Munich or Budapest and why?
The walking distances involved in Prague are not that great, so it might be your best choice. Beer is cheap and there are plenty of places to eat.

Munich is good though too. You can concentrate on the area down around the Marienplatz. It includes the Glockenspiel, the Viktulien Market, the Hofbrau Haus, the Residenz, and the Frauen Kirche. The Englischer Gardens are close by too. Its all very walkable. You may find street performers near the Glockenspiel.

I enjoyed visiting Budapest, but didn't feel it was quite as walkable.

We just finished seeing all three cities, PM me if you want more information.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:40 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

None of them. I'd pick Bruges.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times
Salzburg (one of my favorites), Bruges and a number of other smaller cities in Europe (Dubrovnik???) seem like they would better fit your style.

However, from the 3, I would suggest Prague would be the best fit for you.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Prague is beautiful but very crowded with tourists. If you want to see Auschwitz, have you considered Krakow? It ticks a lot of your boxes.

Budapest and Munich are both great but not what I would call "small" cities.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Munich felt a little run down to me around the central station. There are a lot of day trips from the city though. The concentration camp is very easy to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Salzburg (one of my favorites), Bruges and a number of other smaller cities in Europe (Dubrovnik???) seem like they would better fit your style.

However, from the 3, I would suggest Prague would be the best fit for you.
Bruges and Salzburg were both lovely. I wish I didn't have just a day trip to Salzburg.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I wish I didn't have just a day trip to Salzburg.
I actually did see Salzburg as a day trip from Vienna, first train out, last train back. Fortunately, it's possible to experience most of the city's attractions in a day. But a couple days make perfect sense if you want to linger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel