Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 26,471 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

We are planning a trip to West Coast this September 2017, with our 2 year old boy. This will be our first long-distance trip with the baby. We are aiming at the max a week for the trip duration. Can you please help with narrowing down the destination spots on west coast and the fun things to do with a toddler on the trip? We are thinking about either LA or SFO. But are open to suggestions to any other places on west coast. We have not finalized the budget yet, but it will not be the roadblock. We want to have a wonderful first trip with the baby and I do look forward to receiving tips from all you great people out there. Thanks a ton in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
We had a great time with our 1 year old in California - spent 3 days in San Diego (San Diego Zoo Safari Park, La Jolla, etc.), followed by 3 days in the Big Sur area, and 3 days in San Francisco. You really can't go wrong with any of those options. Enjoy!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
We had a great time with our 1 year old in California - spent 3 days in San Diego (San Diego Zoo Safari Park, La Jolla, etc.), followed by 3 days in the Big Sur area, and 3 days in San Francisco. You really can't go wrong with any of those options. Enjoy!
I second San Diego, especially with a toddler. Stay north-ish county in Carlsbad or La Jolla.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I second San Diego, especially with a toddler. Stay north-ish county in Carlsbad or La Jolla.
Legoland in Carlsbad would be a good place to take a toddler!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 AM

Thank you so much guys for your insights! I have added San Diego and Carlsbad to the planning list. But do you guys think that SFO and LA are not appropriate options? Thanks again in advance

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Hi BD1978, Hi elhelmete - Where did you stay in San Diego during your trip? Cause all the good star hotels are like very far from the downtown. Does it make sense to stay closer to downtown or it does not matter? We would be renting a car, but was wondering what would be the best option. Can you suggest me some good hotels? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT2015 View Post
Hi BD1978, Hi elhelmete - Where did you stay in San Diego during your trip? Cause all the good star hotels are like very far from the downtown. Does it make sense to stay closer to downtown or it does not matter? We would be renting a car, but was wondering what would be the best option. Can you suggest me some good hotels? Thanks in advance!
With a child that age, I wouldn't necessarily stay downtown. I would stay in north county, say from La Jolla up to Carlsbad. The attractions that have been mentioned are more in this area. Also, IMHO, downtown SD is more young adult oriented.

I don't have any specific hotels to recommend, unfortunately. We live in LA so when we go on an overnight now there we sometimes AirBNB or just get a cheap room since we're there so briefly.

The Hilton Del Mar seems nice as does Blue, also in Del Mar.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
When we went to San Diego in May, we stayed in the Mission Bay area which I liked as it was centrally located.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
We actually stayed with friends in Chula Vista outside of San Diego, so I can't offer up much in the same of suggestions re: location, and defer to others.

And I don't think SF or LA are inappropriate at all for kids, I just like San Diego best for young children. (And I don't like LA in general, while SF is one of my favorite cities in the world.)

Old 07-25-2017, 09:05 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Young kids like to play at the beaches, I don't think they care about anything else. Legolaland is good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel