Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 AM

50 posts, read 51,164 times

Advertisements

Just spent a week in Bangkok. Definitely see the floating market. Bridge on River Kwai tour okay but it's a whole day trip so I would have skipped it unless you can do an early morning trip. The reclining Buddha and golden Buddha temples are worth seeing. We went with a tour guide on a tour that was not private but we were the only ones signed up so it was a nice experience. If you are there on a Saturday or Sunday hit up the weekend market. 18,000 stalls of shopping!

Thai massage is heavenly as well. We also took a cooking class that was enjoyable.

We stayed in Sumkhuvit and the rush hour traffic was unbearable. We were close to the public elevated subway which was cheap and easy to navigate. We used it practically twice a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
I think I will have to skip Chiang Rai and save that for another time so I can have an extra day in Chiang Mai. Not sure if my intuitions are right, but Chiang Rai sounds less touristy and better to not go alone.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Any tips for taxis and getting around? How can i tell if a tuk-tuk or taxi is legit?

Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
Any tips for taxis and getting around? How can i tell if a tuk-tuk or taxi is legit?
Taxi is usually OK, but if you choose to take a toll road... carry cash, as PASSENGER is expected to pay the toll. Scooters offer taxi service (faster in heavy traffic areas) I still prefer to rent my own but on a scooter you MUST be very careful about going the correct direction (Right turns are killers in Left Hand lane nations)

When in a car... it is EZ... keep the steering wheel towards center of road.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:53 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
OP, if you are a party person, I'd recommend the Full Moon Party and Koh Phangan. Craziest party I've ever been to in my life (and that's saying something, trust me). However, you expressed that you're kind of an introvert and as a single female, I'd say the safety aspect doesn't seem too bad, but I'm a male. It may be a bit iffy.

If you want something more laid back and have time to kill, I actually would recommend you go to Koh Phi Phi. I heard great things about it, but the 5 hour (IIRC) ferry ride was offputting and I didn't have quite as much time to kill.

Koh Samui is a good middle ground - its bigger and probably offers more overall than Phangon, but is much closer to most parts of Southern Thailand than is Koh Phi Phi.

Thailand is my favorite country I've personally ever visited, no matter what you choose, you should have a great time. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Why are you going there? Can't you find an American (as in USA), place to spend your dollars and time? Ever watched the movie "Bangkok Hilton"

Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why are you going there? Can't you find an American (as in USA), place to spend your dollars and time? Ever watched the movie "Bangkok Hilton"
First of all, you spelled Bangkok wrong. Second of all, why would I do that? I'm a little sick of the way America is right now. I'm kind of looking for a place to an ex-pat.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T North View Post
Taxis are metered and very cheap (in Bangkok) though in certain touristy areas there's a "Taxi Mafia" and they will only do flat rate. Uber is in Bangkok too and works well. I took the toll roads from the airport and to Ayutthaya and the driver paid the tolls (and added it to the fare), but maybe that's not typical.

In Chiang Mai, I took tuk tuks, which were licensed I believe; can't remember if they were metered or not.

In Phuket, taxis are comparatively expensive, since there's very few metered cabs, and local taxi mafias set rates. It's all relative though.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Travel broadens the mind. More people should travel overseas.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:19 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Travel broadens the mind. More people should travel overseas.
Agree completely. Most of the people I know who travel regularly outside of the country have a much broader life perspective than those that don't. Wish more people had the ability (or will) to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel