Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times

Advertisements

Back in the 80s, I was platinum on 2 airlines. That's a lot of corporate flying. But I've always been a 'white knuckle' flier. Flying first-class helped but I will never get used to even moderate turbulence.

Since StealthRabbit mentioned it, I can remember a few semi-serious flying situations:
1. I was flying into ATL during a rainstorm. When the pilot broke thru the cloud cover, there was an unexpected plane on our landing runway. The pilot took us straight vertical. Barf bags became scarce real quick.
2. I was flying into STL and the pilot couldn't get the landing gear to come down. Several of us helped the crew tear up the aisle carpets. One crew member climbed down into the belly of the plane and manually cranked down the landing gear.
3. I was flying into MEM and I noticed we did a fly-by real close to the control tower. I asked a crew member what was going on. She said another plane noticed a small fire under our plane. So the air controllers wanted to get a closer look before we landed. After we landed, they parked us as far from the main terminal as possible. I think they were afraid we were going to blow up. It was really weird deplaning to buses with a dozen fire engines with red lights flashing all around us.

I'm sure I could think of a few more flying stories but I'll stop there. Millions of flying miles makes for lots of flying stories.

So do I still fly? Yes, but since I'm now retired all flying these days is completely optional. There's lots to do in driving distance in Southern CA. I do fly to places like Las Vegas and Phoenix. My driving limit is 300 miles.

Last edited by cruitr; 08-30-2018 at 12:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 12:42 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
As I've gotten older, my passion for travel has only increased. I absolutely love exploring the country and the world with my wife and young daughter, and we plan vacations 6 months in advance so we almost always have something booked that we can look forward to. Although we certainly don't have the time or the money to be on the road all the time, we usually take 2 flying vacations per year, and I've probably been on 100 plus airplane rides in my lifetime.

In recent years, however, I feel like I'm becoming more and more of a nervous flier, to the point that turbulence really bothers me and I pretty much cannot fly without taking a mild sedative. Anyone else in the same boat? If so, do you have any advice? I try to fly on larger airplanes whenever possible, but I'm having a really hard time not getting nervous on planes.
Getting in and out of the airports is THE ACTUAL nuance that I feel.
I always yearn if there was a quicker and smoother way to get on and off the plane.

Rental car pick n returns specially when there is a shuttle involved
Long security lines, taking off shoes n belts and getting electronic devices out of the bags
Changing gates specially at O’Hare and Atlanta, and then Wait on the gates
Unnecessarily expensive food and general shopping prices at the boarding areas.

Perhaps the least you could do is book non-stop flights and avoid checking-in any bags to skip the bagaqge carousel part.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:24 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
As I've gotten older, my passion for travel has only increased. I absolutely love exploring the country and the world with my wife and young daughter, and we plan vacations 6 months in advance so we almost always have something booked that we can look forward to. Although we certainly don't have the time or the money to be on the road all the time, we usually take 2 flying vacations per year, and I've probably been on 100 plus airplane rides in my lifetime.

In recent years, however, I feel like I'm becoming more and more of a nervous flier, to the point that turbulence really bothers me and I pretty much cannot fly without taking a mild sedative. Anyone else in the same boat? If so, do you have any advice? I try to fly on larger airplanes whenever possible, but I'm having a really hard time not getting nervous on planes.

No... I haven't developed anxiety about turbulence so far, I just sold myself decades ago on it being the air equivalent of being on a bumpy dirt road & not of careening out of control, works for me.

I have developed some minor fears late in life, falling seems to be one but that is all in my mind, like your airplanes, my falls happen almost entirely in fearful imaginings, not in actual life.

The crowds at airports, the tighter security checks & crowded planes with smaller seats & less legroom have made flying less enjoyable though. I don't want to spend days on trains or in cars or on ships to get somewhere though so I just get as comfortable as I can & put in my earplugs & read or listen to music with my IEMs in.

If I fly to Asia I don't sleep the previous night so that I conk out right after the first meal service & wine. Europe I try the same, domestic I just read.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

If I fly to Asia I don't sleep the previous night so that I conk out right after the first meal service & wine. Europe I try the same, domestic I just read.
I guess you don't have to fly coach.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 AM

74 posts, read 50,776 times
Hi BD1978

I mention some advice to overcome the fear.

Mentally Prepare Yourself

One should recognize that their fear is not based on reality, and one will be in a better position to take care of their self once anxiety sets in.

Prepare to Be Distracted

Keeping you busy during a long flight. Before you board that plane, make a “ plan” for yourself. Like whether watching a DVD, listening to music, or doing puzzles. Be prepared and have them close at hand. So that your mind gets distracted from anxiety.

Breathe

One basic calming technique is conscious breathing. “Practice soothing breathing,” says the doctor. “Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth as slowly as possible.”

Remember That Panic Will Pass

It’s important to “recognize that panic will pass, “A panic attack [usually] doesn’t last for more than a few minutes. Iit’s not going to last the whole trip. It will pass.”

Focus on the Positive

Totally ignore the negative stories[plane crashes] and focus on all the positive information[safety statistics].

Thanks

Old 09-07-2018, 07:50 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The crowds at airports, the tighter security checks & crowded planes with smaller seats & less legroom have made flying less enjoyable though. I don't want to spend days on trains or in cars or on ships to get somewhere though so I just get as comfortable as I can & put in my earplugs & read or listen to music with my IEMs in.

This. It's mostly the TSA crap that puts me off, but the attitude of most airlines of "we wish you weren't here but we'll take your money so please take your seat, fasten your seat belt and shut up" also makes flying an ordeal, especially when things go wrong. I fly Business Class on long-hauls, which helps but delays are still delays, and it limits the number of major trips I take.

Unfortunately when you're going to Iceland or India or Scotland (my next destination), driving isn't practical.

I've ended up with a bit more air travel through the end of the year than I'd like. Scotland in September (that was planned almost year ago), an overnight with my 4-year old granddaughter between Des Moines and Chicago (just for fun), a reunion with HS friends in Ohio in late November. Then I found that I'm getting an award from my professional society for all of the volunteering I did during my career (I'm retired now). It's in Las Vegas in early November. Not a destination I would have chosen. Oh, well- Southwest flies there and they seem genuinely happy to have you on the plane.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:04 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith12 View Post
Hi BD1978

I mention some advice to overcome the fear.

Mentally Prepare Yourself

One should recognize that their fear is not based on reality, and one will be in a better position to take care of their self once anxiety sets in.

Prepare to Be Distracted

Keeping you busy during a long flight. Before you board that plane, make a “ plan” for yourself. Like whether watching a DVD, listening to music, or doing puzzles. Be prepared and have them close at hand. So that your mind gets distracted from anxiety.

Breathe

One basic calming technique is conscious breathing. “Practice soothing breathing,” says the doctor. “Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth as slowly as possible.”

Remember That Panic Will Pass

It’s important to “recognize that panic will pass, “A panic attack [usually] doesn’t last for more than a few minutes. Iit’s not going to last the whole trip. It will pass.”

Focus on the Positive

Totally ignore the negative stories[plane crashes] and focus on all the positive information[safety statistics].

Thanks

Thank you! All excellent advice!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith12 View Post

I took a weekend fear of flying seminar at SJC, oh, must have been 1992. It was sponsored by American Airlines.

The group leader had each of us in turn mention a particularly horrifying crash, such as PSA Flight 182. Then he explained what had happened, why it happened and why it's highly unlikely to ever happen again. (Flight 182, for example, was the impetus for the `sterile cockpit' rule.)

Nearly all of our class showed up for 'graduation': A flight to LAX and back.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:56 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
I prefer flying if over 500 km. faster, often costs less. Reaching the airport I easy for me, by commuter train. I wish more places were reachable by train, a civilized way to travel, just slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel