Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

I love to travel and hate flying! Especially take off and landing! I also feel the airlines could really careless if you’re happy. With that said, I really do like to travel and do several times a year so I do fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
Wow, really great responses all around. I can't stand the cattle call environment, the cramped seats, lack of food, etc. But what really bothers/worries me is turbulence, and even though my brain understands generally that flying commercial is much safer than driving in terms of the likelihood of death, every time I am on a turbulent plane I feel like it's going to drop out of the sky and kill us all. But I love travel so much - and have limited vacation days - so it's a necessary evil and I'm going to keep flying. Thanks everyone for the great thoughts and responses all around.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I have to admit with our advancing years travel period isn't as much fun as it used to be. This just hit in the past 2 or 3 years. We hate flying, are uncomfortable driving in places we are not familiar with and are not in love with the idea of an organized bus trip, plus they really can get pricey if you look at the price including meals as meals are normally not included, or not all of them. For us cruising, even though we have to fly to the port is the best vacation for our bucks.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
This summer, my wife and I drove the WA-OR-CA coast down to the Bay Area and then headed East to the wine country and from there to Yosemite. We ended up in Thousand Oaks for a week, before flying back to Denmark. It was the best vacation we've ever had in the States.
That's a great itinerary! Glad you had a great time!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
That's a great itinerary! Glad you had a great time!
Yes, it was great. I lived in WA (East side) and OR (Portland) in the 80s. I hadn't been to the San Juans since then. My Danish wife and I have even travelled parts of the OR and CA coast since I moved to Denmark, and we never tire of it. Too bad the Big Sur highway was closed, we had planned to do that, again. But I'd never been to the Wine Country or in and around Yosemite, and we loved these places, especially the smaller wine-growing regions (Anderson and Alexander Valleys).

Old 11-27-2017, 11:13 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I hate all the nickle and diming that comes with flying. Airport parking, airport taxes on rentals, baggage fees, no drinks past security, etc.

One of the more annoying things is that we tend to fly for 8 hours or more at a time and we like to bring our own food for meals. TSA hates that now with a passion. Not banned...yet...but seems to be coming the way they strongly discourage me from doing it.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
generally if we are taking food we buy it after going through TSA. We maybe will on occasion take a few chips or something like that with us from home or pick something up at a store prior to boarding. We have never had any problems with this going through security.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:58 PM

130,225 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
generally if we are taking food we buy it after going through TSA. We maybe will on occasion take a few chips or something like that with us from home or pick something up at a store prior to boarding. We have never had any problems with this going through security.
I have brought jerky, nuts & quiche on a plane, all with no problem ( so far) . If I think the plane is going down, I pray that it will be on the return flight, after I have enjoyed my trip we all going to die one day

Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,505 times
I bring torta roll sandwiches. No gels or liquids, just they say sandwiches trip 'something' in their system and they warn me not to bring food. I have normally at least 6-9 sandwiches and whatnot depending on the duration of the flight to feed three people 2-3 meals. We don't like airport food and don't want to pay for it.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I spent the better part of my thirties and forties flying around the US. I used to be deathly afraid until I started talking to pilots and ground crew.

I also realized it was a control issue with me. I know none of the crew and cannot control where the plane went.

Still don't like it but will occasionally fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel