Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:21 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, you can probably tell from the thread title that this is a bit of a rant.

I am a college professor and I usually go to 1-2 academic conferences per year. Usually the conferences negotiate "special" rates for the conference, but for one that I'm going to in late March 2018, it's still close to $200/night after you add in the 17% tax (it's in Indianapolis, which clearly has very high hotel taxes!). The sad thing is, I am coming to realize that that is actually a GOOD price for a hotel room!! (The conference rate is $164/night, but that's a bit over $190/night with the taxes.)

Personally, I am generally pretty shocked at what some public universities will allow their academics and administrators to spend on hotel rooms for conferences. One of my acquaintances would always stay at the Four Seasons in Chicago for $285 a night as opposed to the Chicago Marriott at $145. And this was happening at a time when the university was cutting staff and eliminating programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 02:25 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
People who pull in $150K per year, or people dumb enough to go during the peak season like a 4th of July weekend. I'm glad most people pack these places up like herds of cattle during the most predictable time periods. Economies of scale. Personally I don't spend much above $75/night for a hotel, and prefer to spend $50. Go to the Kalahari in the middle of summer when everything is packed and pay the normal price only to have to wait in line for an hour to go in a ride?

I'll go the last week of August, pay half price, and wait in line a minute, and go on the same rides 8 times in the time it takes people to stand in line to go on one.

The above is why I don't support paying for people's college. These administrative staff have no sense of budgetary constraint. They spend like government does.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Karen in nh....simply put ...I'm with you!
I feel the same for poor renters in my city.Because of you I am going to do my homework now for 2 rooms needed in
January for some friends. So, thank you for the heads up.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It's supply & demand. You can pay $350 a night in Montana during summer rates at some not that great hotels.
Yes, it is called dynamic pricing. Our holiday next year is shaping up to be very expensive; Honolulu followed by Alaska, then Utah and Wyoming and finally San Francisco. Cannot avoid peak season because of the different weather issues. Dont want to do it as several shorter trips because of the distance. I gather that the parks in Utah and and Wyoming are being flooded with Asian tour groups, our dollar has slipped against the US and we are paying $US400 for some really ordinary looking places.
Started looking at Italy and France and they are cheap by comparison, for us.
But it is all supply and demand.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:20 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriganStark View Post
Reasons like that is why the U.S should adopt some capsule hotels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel
Sorry, but no way would I sleep in there. I've seen it up close in Tokyo, again, no way! It'll never work here anyway because Americans are just not wired to behave as well as Japanese folks.

Besides, if my work is sending me somewhere for business purpose, the least they could do is put me in a decent place to sleep at night. If it's going to cost $400, so be it.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
A nice hotel in Seattle or Washington, DC in a downtown walkable area will cost you this. Not a shock.

Look at the big picture: a new pickup can cost $60K, a house that cost 40K when I was younger now is worth $700K.

Of course there are cheaper exceptions.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I'm sure if you dig you can find a cheap room for $100 or so, but do you really want to stay in a cheap motel? Staying in a nice hotel, in a nice area, with amenities is part of the fun of taking a trip; business or pleasure.

I live in part time in two different touristy areas...$300 a night for decent hotel IS considered cheap.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
My husband and I have always been able to find nice safe clean hotels for under $100 a night. In any area. If you have no luck with hotels try an air bnb.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I show a LaQuinta Inn on booking.com for $124/night around March 20, it's about 1.3 kilometers east of your conference so if you don't mind a 20 minute walk down Washington Street can maybe look into that.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
whatever the justifications/priorities are, it is pretty stupid to pay $400 a night for Indianapolis. You can have a nice place for the same price in London, Rome or central Paris. Indianapolis?

Unless of course you make tons an $400 is really negligible.

Of course people have different preference and priorities,and associated with it, different levels of financial senses. There are people out there who make $60000 annual family income, but think they "deserve" to splurge on $400 a night hotels with maid service and valet parking just because they are on vacation.

And you know why people constantly complain "it is so expensive to live in the cities" "we live paycheck to paycheck?" This is why. Yes, you have different priorities, just wrong ones that eventually lead to misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel