Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM

7,569 posts, read 6,021,175 times

Advertisements

Siem Reap

Victoria Falls

Ireland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:36 PM

168 posts, read 164,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Simple premise. Somebody drops a free ticket on you. Round the World, but you can choose any three stopovers along the way. Where do you stop?
I know you've been around, so I thought I'd see what your list looked like, but it looked liked posed the question without answering on your own behalf. So let's have it ;-)

Old 07-05-2018, 03:05 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,164,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
I know you've been around, so I thought I'd see what your list looked like, but it looked liked posed the question without answering on your own behalf. So let's have it ;-)
Somebody asked that in Post 25. Auckland, Ulan Bator, Karachi.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:12 AM

5,457 posts, read 3,335,142 times
Africa, Ukraine, United Kingdom

Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Somebody asked that in Post 25. Auckland, Ulan Bator, Karachi.
I'm sorry I missed that. I have enjoyed Auckland (most recent November 2017) and Ulan Bator (most recent February 2017); the latter I will return to someday, inshallah. Ulan Bator has been made very nice, with nice art in public spaces, plus very nice people and a crazy mix of right- and left-hand drive cars (Priuses).

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM

7,298 posts, read 4,567,576 times
Monaco, Sofia and Palawan.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:32 AM

58 posts, read 64,769 times
Launceston (Tasmania), Edinburgh, Seoul

Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,164,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
I'm sorry I missed that. I have enjoyed Auckland (most recent November 2017) and Ulan Bator (most recent February 2017); the latter I will return to someday, inshallah. Ulan Bator has been made very nice, with nice art in public spaces, plus very nice people and a crazy mix of right- and left-hand drive cars (Priuses).
What is Ulan Bator like in winter? We're thinking of spending Christmas someplace different every year, this year we plan on Papua New Guinea. I once rang in the New Yearn in St. Pierre et Miquelon.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
What is Ulan Bator like in winter? We're thinking of spending Christmas someplace different every year, this year we plan on Papua New Guinea. I once rang in the New Yearn in St. Pierre et Miquelon.
Ulan Bator was cold. (I know you know that.) And, for me, living much of the year on the Southern edge of the Sahara, down to about the equator... Oh, don't get me wrong, sometimes the days would get up to -5 or even 0 Fahrenheit. Nights, well, I didn't go out much at night. -20F. I never figured out what exactly caused it, but it was smoky and smoggy too. (Apparently part of the impetus for importing all those used Priuses...plus the cost of fuel.) I would call it an inversion layer problem, but what do I know? Even the small elevation gain driving to the airport put you above it some days. I heard nice things about life outside the capital - clear skies - but, well, work, you know. Getting around the city, you're kind of a captive. In summer, getting a cab is easy. Winter, it's possible at a few spots. Nice hotels, a few places along Peace Avenue (government buildings, Sukhbaatar Square), but if you want to really get around, you need to hire a driver by the day. I like taking buses, but not standing at bus stops in that cold. Days were reasonably long, like nine hours. We didn't have much snow (a dusting) during my stay, and the wind never blew hard.

OT: We had a nice Christmas in Mendoza Argentina, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel