Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Are there reports of Americans coming to Europe and committing acts of terrorism?

Not being flippant. I am just guessing.
Oh, any number of Americans were IRA financial backers back during The Troubles even if they were not the final violent hand in those days.

As for which countries allow visa-free travel between locations, it's negotiated between them with each side assessing not only the risk of crime from the guest but also the risk of overstay. As obnoxious as the 'ugly American' may be, there's extremely high probability they'll just go away on the date of their scheduled return ticket; for an Indian national it's not so much of a given they'll correctly go back to Mumbai. For China, it's often a case that reciprocity of visa-free travel is expected, and the only visa-free travel to China right now covers a couple days while you're technically 'in transit' to a third country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:11 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Are there reports of Americans coming to Europe and committing acts of terrorism?

Not being flippant. I am just guessing.
Are there reports of Indian and Chinese people coming to Europe (or anywhere else) and engaging in terrorism? Neither country is Muslim, or were you even unaware of this basic fact? One is majority-Hindu and the other is a mix of atheists and Taoists/Buddhists. You're totally missing the point I made. I didn't mention Iraqis or Afghans or Syrians, where your point may hold some validity. In fact, most of the countries whose citizens require visas to visit Europe are non-Muslim, whereas many Muslim nations' citizens enjoy some degree of visa-free status or are granted visas on arrival. It's completely nonsensical.

But to answer your question, there are probably more Americans who engage in terror and violence than people from India and China combined.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:18 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I really don't get why European nations allow Americans to visit visa-free. What sets them apart from a Chinese or an Indian or a Thai?
We're much less likely to overstay. That's what most countries are concerned about when it comes to who gets visa waver/ESTA versus needing a visa.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:15 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
We're much less likely to overstay. That's what most countries are concerned about when it comes to who gets visa waver/ESTA versus needing a visa.
No, but when you stay, you're the ones most likely to demand a Starbucks or McDonalds or Subway and expect that everyone speak English and serve burgers and steaks and fries and peanut butter cheesecakes. I'm not sure that's much better.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:12 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
No, but when you stay, you're the ones most likely to demand a Starbucks or McDonalds or Subway and expect that everyone speak English and serve burgers and steaks and fries and peanut butter cheesecakes. I'm not sure that's much better.
From the standpoint of the government officials who decide visa policies, those are non-issues.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
That's pretty funny, the overwhelming majority of Starbucks/McDonalds/Subways exist in other countries primarily because locals go there creating demand, not from American tourists. Can you give an example of someone "demanding" a McDonalds?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Must be nice to have that American passport privilege when visiting Europe.

People with third world passports have to plan their trips months in advance and have valid passports when applying for visas at the embassy of the destination country. Even if they live in America.

I really don't get why European nations allow Americans to visit visa-free. What sets them apart from a Chinese or an Indian or a Thai?
Not all. Americans need a visa for Russia. Probably some other Euro nations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel