Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times

Advertisements

I surprised my mother with a trip to Israel for her 80th birthday, as she is a devout Christian; we are planning to go in the spring of 2018. There aren't many posts about it on here, and I'd like to get some first hand tips/suggestions from people who have been recently. I'm not worried about the safety of it, as I've traveled to several Middle Eastern countries as an American and during various conflicts, but I would like to know about renting a car, the use of AirBnBs, affordable day trips from Tel Aviv (assuming we base there), etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:19 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
In Israel things are not cheap in general. I suggest you contact whatever Israeli consulate serves your area and they can send you some free tourist brochures.

If you are planning on visiting the various Christian holy sites, I would not suggest staying in Tel Aviv for whole trip but just for a few days. One can easily do day trips from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. But Jerusalem would be a better place to be for a couple of overnights if you are planning on visiting Bethlehem which is under the Palestinian Authority jurisdiction. Also if you want to visit Nazareth (with other Christian holy sites) and Tiberias (& the Sea of Galilee), I would suggest staying a few nights in Haifa (which is closest big city and also has the beautiful Baha'i Temple Gardens in it) as I don't think these would be practical as day trips from either Tel Aviv or Jerusalem.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,145 times
I guess you might "prepare" yourself for a not much pleasant time on Ben Gurion Airport, which is famous for its hardline security customs and border patrol.

And assuming you might wanna travel back to Middle East someday, you better make sure they don't stample your passport, or you'll get an auto denial of entry at much of surrounding countries instead.

Israeli government acknowledged that and the've been printing a paper with info about your permission and a photo of you at your admission.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:00 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I guess you might "prepare" yourself for a not much pleasant time on Ben Gurion Airport, which is famous for its hardline security customs and border patrol.
Meh, IMO it's no worse than any other intl airport. You stand in line, get asked some questions by the nice young lady, they run your luggage through scanners at customs, and enter the country. Arriving at airport they don't have to worry about a stamp, all arrivals at Ben-Gurion get the separate entry card instead of a stamp. Last time we entered from a land border (via Eilat) we also got the cards instead of stamps. Middle East travel with a stamp depends, the countries that most tourists go to (Egypt, Jordan) have no problems with Israel stamps.

Also = I'd recommend spending some time staying in Jerusalem, there is a lot to see there and I think it would suck to be constantly busing back and forth from Tel Aviv. If you have enough time also schedule a day trip to see Petra. If memory serves you can get through a lot of the main valley there with a wheelchair or hire the buggy so might be okay for someone who is 80.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:22 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Meh, IMO it's no worse than any other intl airport. You stand in line, get asked some questions by the nice young lady, they run your luggage through scanners at customs, and enter the country. Arriving at airport they don't have to worry about a stamp, all arrivals at Ben-Gurion get the separate entry card instead of a stamp. Last time we entered from a land border (via Eilat) we also got the cards instead of stamps. Middle East travel with a stamp depends, the countries that most tourists go to (Egypt, Jordan) have no problems with Israel stamps.
A friend of my mother, who was a "tourist type of person" (which means she had money, reservations all her way in Israel, schedule, plane tickets for her flight of return) had to get naked on "secondary security screening" to prove she wasn't carrying any bomb/drugs. That's not commom place at majority of airports, even when they have someone suspicious.

Nevertheless, I'm not judging their procedures. Every country decides for what's better in order to get their people safe.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post

And assuming you might wanna travel back to Middle East someday, you better make sure they don't stample your passport, or you'll get an auto denial of entry at much of surrounding countries instead.

Israeli government acknowledged that and they've been printing a paper with info about your permission and a photo of you at your admission.
BS. The long walk from the airplane is longer in time spent then the lines at passport control. They ask a few simple questions and stamp a card with your visa if you request so. Then you go and get your luggage. If there is nothing to declare go to the Green exit.

http://ozar.mof.gov.il/ita2013/1999t..._guide2005.htm

Head to money exchange and change around $200 to shekels and then head for your method of transportation.

https://www.touristisrael.com/public...urion-airport/
http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/airports...ages/Taxi.aspx

Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Head to money exchange and change around $200 to shekels and then head for your method of transportation.
If you have an American debit card you can take out Israeli shekels from local ATM/cash machines (which they have at the airport as well) and I believe you get a better rate of exchange than using an official airport money exchange place or any local bank.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If you have an American debit card you can take out Israeli shekels from local ATM/cash machines (which they have at the airport as well) and I believe you get a better rate of exchange than using an official airport money exchange place or any local bank.
Depending on who the card is from, one may save on the rate but lose on the transaction. As the OP is coming from Texas they are looking at 18+ hours of travel and imho the last thing they'd want to do is fumble with a ATM. KIS is important on a long flight and even worse if they are flying cattle class.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Depending on who the card is from, one may save on the rate but lose on the transaction.
I don't think the Israeli ATM/cash machines charge any significant amount (if anything at all) for using a foreign ATM/debit card to withdraw money. But all money exchange/banks charge fees to exchange currency.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think the Israeli ATM/cash machines charge any significant amount (if anything at all) for using a foreign ATM/debit card to withdraw money. But all money exchange/banks charge fees to exchange currency.

Not the Israeli ATM, the Debit card issuer may charge a foreign country transaction fee and exchange amount which is usually the highest rate for a calendar month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel