Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM

404 posts, read 193,299 times

Advertisements

So, it appears my vacation to the Rep. of Ireland for a friend's wedding is all set for late September 2018. Now, I do recall some years back going to one of the rental car companies , I believe it might have been hertz , at Shannon airport to rent a car for my 3 week vacation. What was most startling was the difference between the advertised rate of $25 per day which excluded any charges such as taxes, insurance etc. for the car. It ended up being considerably more than the advertised rates.

How much more over say a daily advertised rate of $25 can I expect for additional basic charges such as insurance & taxes etc. for 10 days to Ireland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 04:18 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
email them & ask them. We went to Ireland this past Spring, but I can't remember how much the car rental was, but it was more than I had anticipated. If you want to decline the cdw, make sure your credit card will cover Ireland, or whatever country you are going to visit.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Because of how the laws are written in Ireland, only a very small number of American credit cards or insurance companies cover rental cars in that country, whether it's base credit card benefit or supplemental coverage. IIRC, you typically need one of the higher end airline or travel cards to get included insurance for there.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:05 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Just as an aside, using Hertz, & at the airport, pretty much guarantees you are paying the highest possible fees for a car rental imho. You can go to a local car rental & pick up in town/hotel usually for less.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
The travel websites that I am aware of quote prices that include taxes and airport fees. In some cases they also offer insurance at a better rate than the car companies.

Ireland is special and you cannot assume that your credit card will have your back- even if you are covered in other European countries.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Hertz can populate the COMPLETE charges for you. Call / email them. (also register for GOLD status, it will help SMOOTH your counter time and details) Do this FIRST (before asking about your rate)

Also... a friend recently returned from UK Ireland and rented via Costco for far less than my corp rate. Not sure about the Republic restrictions (We used corp AVIS account in Ireland (both Irelands)) (which honored my insurance (US))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel