Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:58 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,736,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Quito and Cartagena would be polar opposites, except the historic architecture would be similar. I'd also choose Curacao over Aruba. Aruba is a beach destination and they are all pretty much the same. Curacao has a unique culture unlike anywhere else.

It all comes down to what the traveler is looking for.
What would be some of the differences between Quito and Cartagena?

So since some additional destinations are being thrown out there, let me back it up a little bit and give some more info:

It's my friend's birthday and she wants a beach trip. She doesn't travel much and does want me to practically pick where we go. She has pretty much decided on the Caribbean though (and is open to Mexico which I just came back from). I have the following destinations in mind for her in order of *my* preference:

-Aruba
-Negril
-Cancun-I'm neutral on going here since I just came back from here but don't care on going back
-Miami-Leaning against as I always go here
-Dominican Republic-I have no desire to go here at all

So basically, in my head I'd planned on pushing Aruba on her (Negril if she doesn't want to do Aruba). I had Turks and Caicos on the list but she wants to go out and although T&C looks amazing (I lovvvve me some gorgeous beaches) I kept reading that it would probably be too quiet at night. She will basically go with whatever place I kinda "push" on her to choose lol

We will likely have 5-6 days together in the Caribbean. She will not join for the first part of the trip which is something I'm planning to do on my own-decide which city to explore before joining her in the Caribbean. Likely for 3-4 days.

I simply forgot about Curacao. I am "into culture" but her...not so much. I'd need to do more research on Curacao to see if it's somewhere she might like to go for a birthday trip. Food is a big deal for both of us but I'm the more adventurous one whereas she will likely not want to try too many things out of the norm. The whole reason I posted this thread about visiting somewhere in addition to Aruba first is so I could "get my culture in" during at least part of the trip since the majority of it will be a typical beach-destination type of deal if going to Aruba or elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,736,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
You realize it is a nearly 5 hour flight from Quito to Aruba, not counting pre flight 'airport time'?
Yes.

Trust me...I've done much worse. You're talking to someone who decided to do a tour of Panama City during a 4.5 hour layover. And my last Europe trip was Chicago>London>Madrid>Segovia>Barcelona>Montserrat >Lisbon>Miami>Chicago in 16 days.

Until I start getting more than the standard 3 weeks of vacation a year, if there's somewhere I want to see that can be tacked on to another trip that's already being planned (even if it's a bit inconvenient) I kinda have to consider it.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
We loved the people-watching. There is a large square ("Fochs Plaza") with cafes on each side where you can sit and people-watch and sip a drink or eat. They have covered outdoor seating so it's fun when the rain comes.

The double-decker bus is terrific. There is a fabulous restaurant at the top of the bus ride called "Pims" with a dramatic view over the whole city. Great food. You hop back on the bus to return, or take a taxi back. We loved the old colonial city which is best viewed on the top of the bus. You also take a tram up to 13,000 ft. for a clouded-over view of the city.

It's quite high elevation, and will take your breath away. Beautiful lush green hills. But also a huge, bustling city. Hotels are reasonable ($50 to $60 or less) but quite noisy with lots of street action even at night.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Cartagena just has never been on my travel list. Looks pretty though.

And this is going to sound like the most superficial of reasons but...I'm a member of a few travel facebook groups and Cartagena is always mentioned. I'd started to see so many posts and pictures about it (people were going on group trips there) I'd felt I'd almost been there myself lol. But Quito has been on my list primarily because of the Galapagos Islands. However, I won't be able to make it to the Galapagos Islands anytime soon so I figured...why not at least see Quito now since I'll be kinda close?

From what I've seen the city seems like it would offer the kind of vibe I'd like to experience on my next trip. Typically Portugal and Spain is high on my list as I've been before and really like both places, and since I didn't make it to either last year (and won't make it to either this year), for some reason I feel Quito might be a good choice to fill the void of not being able to make it to either of those two countries.

I did mention above I also have Guatemala in the back of my head...

I am open though so if anyone wants to share opinions of Cartagena please do so.
You always have to go to Quito to get to Galapagos so if you will go to Galapagos, May be save Quito for another trip.

Cartagena has similar Spanish colonial architecture as Quito.

Cartagena would be a closest touristy place to Aruba. Unless you want to go to Caracas.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input

I don't think I'd be interested in the guinea pigs either I love to eat good when I travel...I have yet to see what type of food is prevalent in this area. This will be my first time in South America. I don't know yet how much time I will have; I am thinking 3-4 days. (My other choice FYI is Guatemala City but I've done no research on that. I picked Quito based on proximity to Aruba.)
Fly into GTO City, but head to Antigua. Walkable, safe, great restaurant scene thanks to the many Euro expats. So many old churches, plazas, and the chocolate...oh, the chocolate!

Old 01-07-2018, 06:45 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Fly into GTO City, but head to Antigua. Walkable, safe, great restaurant scene thanks to the many Euro expats. So many old churches, plazas, and the chocolate...oh, the chocolate!
Is the Cinderella cake shop still there? And Dona Luisa's famous meeting place?

Old 01-07-2018, 06:50 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Quote:

Until I start getting more than the standard 3 weeks of vacation a year, if there's somewhere I want to see that can be tacked on to another trip that's already being planned (even if it's a bit inconvenient) I kinda have to consider it.
The flight to any country in the world is only ten hours longer than the flight to Aruba -- and very likely cheaper. So the number of weeks of vacation should have no effect on your choice of destination. First and last day on the plane, and 21 for yourself (or 14, or 7) in between.

In March, RT, JFK-Aruba, $382, JFK-Bangkok $483.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
We stopped there on a military flight and were warned about the dangers. That's all I remember. Maybe that there was an awesome little shop where we were taken to buy some awesome textiles.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,365 times
Quito is a great walk able city. Other than dangers of pick pocketing ( overblown) we found is friendly and great. Carry a small camera and keep money in money vest and you will be fine. Great churches. Even presidential palace is open for free to visitors. Just have passport or passport card handy if you want to visit it

Old 01-08-2018, 12:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
You found dinners in Quito expensive...? Really? I am surprised to hear this.

Totally off topic: I was reading a post of yours a few weeks ago (can't remember in what forum) and ended up looking at pictures of Cebu. Lucky you to live in such an amazing city! Made me put this on my (long) travel list of "must see" places!
I can find expensive places to eat anywhere I go. Just go to the tourist or upscale parts of town. I can also find very inexpensive places to eat. Go to where the locals eat and to ethnic restaurants. I've traveled all over the world, but the best example I can think of is Perth, Australia. I was there for 10 days on business. My per diem for meals and incidental expenses was $100 a day. Breakfast was included in the hotel price. I would go to an Asian restaurant in the late afternoon and get a huge meal for $4 Aus. About $2.50 US. This was less than 20 years ago. I got to take almost all of my per diem home that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel