Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Should I Visit?
Boston 0 0%
Chicago 2 5.71%
DC 6 17.14%
Philadelphia 2 5.71%
Toronto 0 0%
Vancouver 7 20.00%
Mexico City 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:31 PM

505 posts, read 502,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I would like to suggest a city for your birthday which is not on the list: New York City.
The hotels should be cheap.
If you indicate your age group and likes and dislikes I could be more specific.
If your budget allows stay at the Renaissance’s at the Times Square on the actual birthday ( an alternative is just to come for breakfast).
Order a bottle of Champagne with your $32 breakfast and sip it overlooking the busy Times Square( ask for a window table) where some fat wallets greet New Year by watching the ball drop in the warm restaurant vs outside with crowds. One feels truly alive there!!!
Broadway shows, Madison Square Garden basketball/ hockey, museums, the coolest restaurants or free walks on the High-line.
I've been to NYC once before and loved it! But that was when I was 18, so I'm sure I'd love it even more now (I'll be turning 25 in February).

The only reason I left it off my list is because I wanted to go to a city I haven't been to yet, but it's still somewhere I'm considering if all else fails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I'm going to Vegas that weekend for my hubby's bday! It's showing it will in the 70's

Unfortunately I didn't vote, because I didn't care for any of the choices. Most are going to be cold (as you already know). I live in the Chicagoland area and it will most likely be VERY cold and snowing in February, that's why I'm trying to get out of here that weekend! LOL! With that said, there is a lot to do in downtown Chicago! There's a ton of night life, lots of restaurants and shows, museums, Navy Pier, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, etc!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm going to Vegas that weekend for my hubby's bday! It's showing it will in the 70's

Unfortunately I didn't vote, because I didn't care for any of the choices. Most are going to be cold (as you already know). I live in the Chicagoland area and it will most likely be VERY cold and snowing in February, that's why I'm trying to get out of here that weekend! LOL! With that said, there is a lot to do in downtown Chicago! There's a ton of night life, lots of restaurants and shows, museums, Navy Pier, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, etc!
I've been told it's a good thing being able to travel for my birthday on the off-seasons, but most of the places I want to go are super cold this time of year so it's kind of bittersweet!

Chicago is a strong contender because of how simple it is to get to downtown from O'Hare (plus a much shorter flight from LA )

Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Thanks for your responses!

I wanted to find out what each city offered to others, since I already know the kinds of things I would be interested in doing.

Coming from LA, the cold doesn't bother me too much (I'm from Oregon originally) if it's just a few days, so that's why I'm tempted to go for Philly or DC - but Mexico City would be much closer flight wise so my mind isn't completely made up yet.

How is Mexico City for someone who speaks/understands very little Spanish? The only thing that worries me is the language barrier. And my passport is current so no worries there, I've just heard differing opinions on safety and whatnot so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to go solo if I'm not super comfortable with understanding Spanish.
I personally would not go to Mexico as a solo female any longer....have traveled other places solo MC is a huge cosmopolitan city...you don't speak the language and there are cons just waiting for people like you....
tourists they can spot a mile off...save it to do with a friend.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,624 times
There must be some reason you have not included New York City? Because, really, if you're going to visit the Mid-Atlantic/New England coast in the worst part of the year weather-wise, why would you not have NYC at the top of your list? (Actually, that's also a valid question for any other time of year. There is NOTHING ELSE like New York City.)

But, given your list, I'd say DC. The weather has the best chance of being semi-decent. All of the Smithsonian museums are free, and their focus is so broad -- American Art, American History, Air and Space . . . and that's just the museums that start with "A"! The Metro system is excellent. Good restaurants. Lots to gawk at if you're an architecture buff. And the monuments/memorials! Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Vietnam -- so many places where you will bow your head reverently.

Wherever you end up -- Happy Birthday!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
There's a lot of fun to be had in Vancouver. Even in February, the weather is bearable.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:21 PM

36 posts, read 28,610 times
Mexico City. Also, if you are gonna do Philly, you might as well hit up NYC also. You can even do DC, depending on the length of your stay. But, NYC is definitely doable with a Philly trip. It's like 1.5 hour away drive, with plenty of trains and buses too.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
There must be some reason you have not included New York City? Because, really, if you're going to visit the Mid-Atlantic/New England coast in the worst part of the year weather-wise, why would you not have NYC at the top of your list? (Actually, that's also a valid question for any other time of year. There is NOTHING ELSE like New York City.)

But, given your list, I'd say DC. The weather has the best chance of being semi-decent. All of the Smithsonian museums are free, and their focus is so broad -- American Art, American History, Air and Space . . . and that's just the museums that start with "A"! The Metro system is excellent. Good restaurants. Lots to gawk at if you're an architecture buff. And the monuments/memorials! Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Vietnam -- so many places where you will bow your head reverently.

Wherever you end up -- Happy Birthday!
I didn't include NYC because I've already been there before (granted I was 18 so I'm sure I could have a lot more fun now that I'll be 25), and I wanted to focus this short trip on a city I haven't had the chance to visit yet.

Thanks for the input for all to do in DC! It's definitely starting to become a contender, since I need to choose a place soon so I can start planning

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
Of your listed, I vote for Mexico City because you can do this in a short few days and see both Mexico City and the nearby pyramids in Teotihuacán, all very affordable. Great time of year also to visit.

I personally wouldn’t look at Canada or any of the listed US cities in February. I live in Chicago (the ‘burbs) and you don’t want to come here in February, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel