Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,958,899 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and visiting Europe with my fiancé. Primarily going to see another culture, food, and general sight seeing. It's tough for us to take much time off work, I figured both of these cities to be a good fit for a 7 day vacation. Italy was originally high on our list, but we wanted to hit too many places. Hopefully later in life.

Figured we would take a red eye flight from chicago to London, spend 3 nights there, than take the train to France for 3-4 nights. Most likely this would happen last week in July, so trying to nail down details now. Any recommendations? Plan on making some 'high end' restaurant reservations months ahead, and then scoping out hole in the wall joints while were there. Too much time? Not enough?

I've been having issues finding reasonable costs to do one way flights, and hotel cities in multiple cities. If I were to do a 'package' on say expedia, the cost would be well under $5k. When splitting up the flights and hotels, it seems to jack up the price, anyway to get around this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 AM

502 posts, read 654,718 times
eurostar train is not that expensive if you book it in advance (maybe 80euros return ticket) so it may be worth researching into a two way flight from/to London or Paris, and then go to the other city and back to the first one by train.

Both cities are huge and full of things, you would not be bored if you had 1 week in each. As you have 3/4 days, you'll have to choose according to your interests what you want to see.

Both cities are very expensive (for European standards) so it will be an expensive trip. Italy (or Spain, or France without Paris, or Germany) are much more affordable places in Europe. Poland or Czech Republic are even more so---> things to consider if price is an issue and you don't mind much going to London or Paris or Rome or Madrid or Berlin or...

Take a look at travel forums (like tripadvisor for example) where ppl will be able to help for nicely priced hotels and good restaurants.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times
Why not both? They're not that far away from each other tbqh.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
I suggest visiting either France OR Britain.

Combining London and Paris is kind of cliche. In July, while not just visit Paris plus Provence/Cote d'azure? Some change of scene is a lot more interesting than two biggest urban centres in the world.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,025 times
I think these are both good places to visit if you've never been to Europe before. I don't think you're really going to be able to lower costs very much here unfortunately. For one thing, as someone mentioned both of these are expensive, and second you're also going during the high season so things will be even more expensive. I'll be honest, doing both of these in seven days you'll just be able to crack the surface. The first day will be kind of shot anyway since you'll get there and be tired (unless you're one of those that sleep easily on flights), so it will really be six days. I'd recommend you both look over a travel guide like Frommer's and decide which places you most want to see then focus on them. If you're doing the National Gallery or Tate or Louvre, definitely purchase tickets in advance online or you'll end up waiting in line for a long time. As far as restaurants, I've always just picked a place at random and had good luck. I've never had a bad meal in Paris ever. Have fun!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,767 times
I'd also suggest doing just one of the cities with a day trip or small trip to a surrounding area for a change of pace.

Of the two, I'd probably suggest Paris as that's going to be a bigger culture change and I suspect the food is going to be better overall.

Personally, I'd probably do Italy, Spain, or Portugal.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I'd also suggest doing just one of the cities with a day trip or small trip to a surrounding area for a change of pace.

Of the two, I'd probably suggest Paris as that's going to be a bigger culture change and I suspect the food is going to be better overall.

Personally, I'd probably do Italy, Spain, or Portugal.
if budget is of any concern, Spain is an excellent choice. So much better than the UK, and more diversified than France. Barcelona is Paris's more fun twin sister with a much lower price tag The high speed trains makes visiting difference cities so much easier.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
eurostar train is not that expensive if you book it in advance (maybe 80euros return ticket) so it may be worth researching into a two way flight from/to London or Paris, and then go to the other city and back to the first one by train.
I thought about this, but it seems like a hassle to take the train back and forth, especially before an 8+ hour flight. I would rather pony up $ than take an additional train ride. I figured there must be a better way to book this trip than doing one way trips everywhere

Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I suggest visiting either France OR Britain.

Combining London and Paris is kind of cliche. In July, while not just visit Paris plus Provence/Cote d'azure? Some change of scene is a lot more interesting than two biggest urban centres in the world.
I thought about this, especially after coming from a big city myself. There isn't much else that is catching my eye in Britian, so I figured hitting up London would let me check it off my list. Also, being this is our first time to Europe, figured it would be nice to start with an English speaking place

Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I thought about this, especially after coming from a big city myself. There isn't much else that is catching my eye in Britian, so I figured hitting up London would let me check it off my list. Also, being this is our first time to Europe, figured it would be nice to start with an English speaking place
Actually London is not bad. I saw it in the winter and still liked it - it is not as pretty as Paris or Barcelona (not even by a long shot) for sure, but I like the energy, the diversity and the whole British feel. Plus all those free museums that are way better than the Louvre.

Additionally, the UK is more than just London. I was very impressed by Edinburgh and consider it more interesting to see than any North American city other than NYC.

I just thought an entirely urban trip is less interesting as some balanced mixture of urban and nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel