Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,813,945 times

Advertisements

If you like historical biography of famous Britons, the Tower would resonate for you, with its famous 'residents" including Sir Walter Raleigh, Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey, Princess Elizabeth long before she became Elizabeth I, and many more. The crown jewels are spectacular and spectacularly displayed. Tower Bridge is of course right beside the Tower, and it's not that far to St Paul's, very much worth seeing.

Given your existing list, I'd pass on the Changing of the Guard but keep much of the rest. There are London by Night bus tours which include dinner - might be a good way to spend your first evening, as many landmarks are colorfully illuminated and you could get your bearings.

I'd add Hampton Court, include a night at the theatre, and consider a day trip to any one of the nearby pilgrimage sites: Stratford, Oxford, Bath, Dover, etc., just to see a bit of the English countryside.

But really, you can't go far wrong seeing the sights of London!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM

16,346 posts, read 12,322,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Oh and a tip that I've learned when planning trips to cities with a lot of attractions like this ... Start a customizable Google Map and place pins for each of the attractions/restaurants/points of interest you want to get to (and even the ones that you're just considering). It helps to see where everything is laid out in the city so you can plan your days. And you can organize them so that you can turn off certain layers and only see what you want to (I have a layer for hotels, one for restaurants, one for parks, one for museums, etc).
Just came across this blog post on Pinterest ... if you're interested in doing a travel map, it could be helpful. How to Create a Custom Travel Map with Google Maps {New Google My Maps Tutorial} | Food & Travel Blog

Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,684,039 times
Many of the museums have one night a week when they're open late (8:00pm or so). Do take that into consideration when coming up with a day to day schedule.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 PM

8,198 posts, read 4,272,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Haven't been to London in a very long time, but my favorites out there were Victoria & Albert Museum (amazing, amazing collection of decorative art/interior design through centuries) and Portobello Market of antiques (ranging from endearing junk to incredibly good stuff) in Notting Hill.

When you go to British Museum, somewhere there in the area of Russell Square in Bloomsbury, there is a store called Westway & Westway (I assume it is still there - I haven't visited it in 30 years, but things like that tend to last several generations in London) that sells kilts, cashmere cardigans etc. excellent quality woolen stuff for not tremendously high prices - check it out.
Correction: the store is actually called Westaway & Westaway (not Westway), founded 1937, and they even have a website nowadays! (who doesn't?)... but it is more fun to shop in their store - the number of kilt patterns all in one place is beyond imagination.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,873,283 times
London is the greatest city in the world and you will exhaust yourself trying to see everything in 6 days. So don't. I would try to see two or three major sights (my favorites are the British Museum, which houses antiquities, and the Churchill War Rooms) and otherwise just hang around, live like an Englishman, and spend a lot of time outside. Go to pubs, especially pubs with live music or trivia games; go to restaurants and cafes; go to a play in the room behind or above a pub, instead of in a big expensive theater; shop Portobello Road or the Camden market; you get the idea.

Although I love the English countryside I would probably not try to go on an out-of-town excursion in that amount of time. If you absolutely must, go to the Cotswolds, or Bath, or Stratford-upon-Avon.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 11,900,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks to all the previous posters who helped me out planning an upcoming trip to London.

We decided on the Doubletree Tower of London for a hotel. I did consider renting an apartment but many are already booked, our trip is set for May 5/27-6/3. May 27th is a fly day so we'd actually be arriving on Monday the 28th.

lol, now so far here are some of the things I think we'd like to do. I'm only 1/2 way through the guidebooks, God have mercy on my soul.

Are any of them really not worth the time or would you suggest maybe a substitute. I have not thought about an schedule yet. Is it too much? not enough. we'll have 6 full days.

Tower of london
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard)
London Eye
National gallery
War museum/Churchill war rooms
National Gallery
Camden Market
British museum
Covenant Gardens
West end theater show.
Thames river cruise

lol and I'm only 1/2 way through the darn books. I think I may need to be tranquilized.
Of your list I would say that Buckingham Palace is the most underwhelming thing (though of course that could depend on personal preferences) if you have too much that would be the one to miss out (in by book), you will probably pass by the palace at some point if you wanted a quick peek.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:52 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,384,651 times
You mention the National Gallery in your list. Go there, you will love it. You will find it in Trafalgar Square, of which you will come across for sure as you amble about London.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,408,884 times
If you are staying near to Tower of London you could visit that and Westminster Abbey and the London Eye easily in one day. Water taxi runs along the Thames and makes it very easy to get from one to another. If you have purchased an oyster card you can use that for water taxi's also.

Camden market is good so is Portobello. Portobello is ideally situated to also visit the Kensington museums (V&A and Natural History) as well as Harrods as they are all within the same area.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,891,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks to all the previous posters who helped me out planning an upcoming trip to London.

We decided on the Doubletree Tower of London for a hotel. I did consider renting an apartment but many are already booked, our trip is set for May 5/27-6/3. May 27th is a fly day so we'd actually be arriving on Monday the 28th.

lol, now so far here are some of the things I think we'd like to do. I'm only 1/2 way through the guidebooks, God have mercy on my soul.

Are any of them really not worth the time or would you suggest maybe a substitute. I have not thought about an schedule yet. Is it too much? not enough. we'll have 6 full days.

Tower of london
Westminster Abbey
Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard)
London Eye
National gallery
War museum/Churchill war rooms
National Gallery
Camden Market
British museum
Covenant Gardens
West end theater show.
Thames river cruise

lol and I'm only 1/2 way through the darn books. I think I may need to be tranquilized.
Definitely do the Tower of London. It is a misnomer to call it a tower -- It is really a compound with multiple towers. There is so much history there and so much to see.

Westminster Abbey is just a church. I wouldn't spend a ton of time waiting on line to see the inside, but I would definitely pass by. See it if you have time.

Definitely do the London Eye. It gives a great view of the city. You could couple that with a Thames River cruise since the London Eye is a stop for the cruises.

I didn't find the Buckingham Palace changing of the guard to be a great thrill. Maybe some people would but I would not do it again.

I recommend the War Museum and the Churchill War Rooms. Both are great.

One thing you might add is St. Paul's Cathedral, where Charles and Diana were married. Amazing church with lots of history.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,560 times
Quote:
Just came across this blog post on Pinterest ... if you're interested in doing a travel map, it could be helpful. How to Create a Custom Travel Map with Google Maps {New Google My Maps Tutorial} | Food & Travel Blog
Quote:
Oh and a tip that I've learned when planning trips to cities with a lot of attractions like this ... Start a customizable Google Map and place pins for each of the attractions/restaurants/points of interest you want to get to (and even the ones that you're just considering). It helps to see where everything is laid out in the city so you can plan your days. And you can organize them so that you can turn off certain layers and only see what you want to (I have a layer for hotels, one for restaurants, one for parks, one for museums, etc).
Oooh thanks guys. another toy to play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel