Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

I am debating travel to the Middle East in the next 1 or 2 year.

I have already visited a few countries in North Africa so not looking to do that.

Obviously not going anywhere with an active war going on so Syria is out. Not interested in visiting Isreal as too much drama ove the tiny bit of land.

Anyone have any suggestions on best places to visit in regards to things to see and do?

P.s. I am a women. I would be travelling with my husband and child.

Thanks in advance : )!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Not sure if you would consider Turkey as part of the Middle East, but if so, it is one of my favourite places anywhere. Highlight was Cappadocia and of course Istanbul, which is of course partly in Europe.

Our friends have just returned from Iran and really enjoyed it but I think Americans have visa issues with it but I assume you are Canadian.

The easiest to visit is probably Dubai, and also Abu Dhabi in UAE. Interesting buildings, fantastic hotels, desert tours, no major restrictions on what you wear, but avoiding Ramadan is recommended because of the restrictions on eating and drinking in public during the day. I am hoping to get to Oman eventually, looks fascinating and also maybe Jordan.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
There are only three countries in the MidEast that I would visit, Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon because they treat Westerners with respect.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
There are only three countries in the MidEast that I would visit, Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon because they treat Westerners with respect.
My sister has lived in Dubai for ten years and she does not have any issues with a lack of respect. She enjoys living and working there.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:57 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
The obvious choice I would think would be Egypt, if one considers that part of the "middle east" - full of history and sights. You said you did N. Africa however.
Not sure why you are so easily dismissing Israel, you reasons don't make sense.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:50 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Not interested in visiting Isreal as too much drama ove the tiny bit of land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not sure why you are so easily dismissing Israel, you reasons don't make sense.
I too agree that dismissing Israel outright for the reason stated makes does not seem logical to me. Israel has much to offer visitors and visiting Israel would help the OP understand what all the fuss is about!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I have been to United Arab Emirates (Dubai and briefly, Abu Dhabi), Oman, and Egypt, all with a girlfriend of mine. UAE and Oman were fascinating and very easy, as English was spoken everywhere and it was incredibly safe. We explored everywhere in Dubai, and really enjoyed the areas outside of the Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa areas (although those were fascinating, too!). Oman was very different feeling but also very expensive. It would have been fun to have spent more time there, but I'm not sure we could have afforded it. Egypt was a quick long-weekend trip but we had fun for the three days we were there. I'm not certain that we would have felt as safe in Cairo exploring around on our own and on foot like we did in Dubai, but it was perfectly fine with a guide. English is not spoken as widely either, so we would have missed a lot without an English speaking guide. Two nights, we did venture to the Khan el Kahlili markets (both sides of the street, crossing via the underground tunnel). It was a blast! We ventured waaaaaay into it, which might throw some people off, but we are well traveled and aware, so we felt comfortable. We then WALKED back to our hotel late at night, which was surprisingly safe but FAR!

SO, with that all said, I would suggest any of the above. I love the Middle East (odd to hear from a Christian, white female from Texas, right??) and will be going to Israel this spring.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM

285 posts, read 385,806 times
I've heard good things about Jordan and Oman (no first-hand experience from me though).

Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
Istanbul, Turkey and definitely Cappadocia if you can fit it in. Cruise the Bosphorus, see the palaces, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia... there’s a lot to see. The city is huge, twice the population of NYC and it sprawls everywhere. Go to the Asian side while there. Eat aaalll of the delicious food... Be sure to get a Turkish bath. Be sure to get a Turkish bath. Get your fill of Turkish delight and the coffee... I wanted a Turkish rug also, but my taste was too expensive, I kept choosing the silk rugs, lol. They have great textiles. Tulips are originally from Turkey and every year there is a tulip festival in the spring. I was a little early when I went, but I still saw some early beautiful blooms all throughout the parks and some street parkway areas. In Cappadoccia, stay in a cave hotel. There’s other areas of Turkey to visit like Ephesus and some of the beach areas, but I didn’t make it to those.

UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Dubai is either a “love” or “felt inauthentic”. I loved my trip there, but if you are looking to see more of how the locals live, go to Deira, which is the old area of Dubai. I enjoyed Abu Dhabi is a must for the Grand Mosque.

Egypt, if you haven’t already been. Cairo for the museum and the Pyramids, but head to Luxor and Aswan. Do a Nile cruise also.

Places I haven’t been, but received recommendations from those I know personally who travel a lot:

Oman
Jordan
Iran
Bahrain - but crazy expensive because our dollar is so weak there
Qatar

Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I have been to Dubai & Abu Dhabi only and love those locations. Abu Dhabi is more residential, less glam but I enjoyed it better. Gave me view of real life in UAE vs. Dubai is a big fancy/clean city. I would recommend desert safari as must do along with watching the water fountain outside Dubai mall. And the Grand mosque in Abu Dhabi is fabulous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel