Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If I had to limit myself to nonstop flights, I'd run out of interesting vacation spots VERY quickly. Not everyone lives within reasonable driving distance of a major airport.
The city where I currently live only has nonstop service to 17 US cities.

Maybe OP happens to live near a major airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I was discussing an acquaintance who lives in Las Vegas.

Tropical Destinations from Las Vegas
Mexico City: Aeroméxico / VivaAerobus/ Volaris / Interjet
Guadalajara: Volaris / Interjet
Panama City (Panama): Copa Airlines
São Paulo–Guarulhos (begins June 21, 2018): LATAM Brasil ( Seasonal )

There were only three tropical destinations in December nonstop from Las Vegas. Mexico City and Guadalajara are not places where your wife probably wants to go. Panama City is within an hour of some beach resorts. Brazil was not available at the time.

Essentially if they wanted to go nonstop they would have to fly the 6.5 hours Panama. Instead they chose an 11-12 hour layover to Aruba through Fort Lauderdale and Boston on the return. But the 4 hour layover in FLL was not enough because of the fog diversion.

There are very few airports that actually give you a wide range of nonstop destinations.

Quote:
I can walk to an airport, but it only has 10 nonstops CLT,PHL,DTW, ATL, ORD for transfers and for Florida Vacations Orlando, Clearwater, Punta Gorda , and Fort Lauderdale. It's very sad as there are 650,000 people in the urban area.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:46 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

There were only three tropical destinations in December nonstop from Las Vegas. Mexico City and Guadalajara are not places where your wife probably wants to go. Panama City is within an hour of some beach resorts. Brazil was not available at the time.

Essentially if they wanted to go nonstop they would have to fly the 6.5 hours Panama. Instead they chose an 11-12 hour layover to Aruba through Fort Lauderdale and Boston on the return. But the 4 hour layover in FLL was not enough because of the fog diversion.

There are very few airports that actually give you a wide range of nonstop destinations.

I can walk to an airport, but it only has 10 nonstops CLT,PHL,DTW, ATL, ORD for transfers and for Florida Vacations Orlando, Clearwater, Punta Gorda , and Fort Lauderdale. It's very sad as there are 650,000 people in the urban area.
I can’t wait to leave here, the population here is also like a bit more than half million.

It would be nice to live in a city like Houston or Los Angeles.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:01 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:

Not including Canada or island resort destinations, I can fly to:
Amsterdam
Beijing
Bogota
Copenhagen
Qatar
Dubai
Dublin
Duesseldorf
Frankfurt
Hong Kong
Istanbul
Lisbon
London
Madrid
Manchester
Mexico City
Munich
Oslo
Panama
Paris
Reykjavik
Rome
São Paulo
Shanghai
Shannon
Tel Aviv
Tokyo
Zurich

Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
Quote:
Foreign Destinations to the south of the USA from Las Vegas

Aeroméxico Mexico City, Monterrey
VivaAerobus: Mexico City Seasonal: Monterrey
Volaris: Mexico City, Guadalajara
Interjet: Mexico City, Monterrey,Guadalajara,
Copa Airlines: Panama City
LATAM Brasil: Seasonal: São Paulo–Guarulhos (begins June 21, 2018)

My friend got a very expensive flight diversion flying from Las Vegas to Aruba over New Years. Despite scheduling a four hour layover in Fort Lauderdale on Jet Blue, the plane was diverted to Orlando because of fog. He arrived in FLL about 6 hours later than he was scheduled, and was forced to spend the night in an expensive crappy hotel and miss a day in Aruba.

I suggested that it may make sense to plan future vacations around nonstop flights. If he wants to be warm, he could fly nonstop 6.5-7 hours to Panama City. It is also a 5 hour drive from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta, but in the middle of winter that may not be hot, but probably just warm.

Do you think that is crazy to build vacation plans around nonstop airport routes. Does anyone else do that?
While it can be ideal to avoid issues like what your friend experienced, I won’t limit myself to non-stop destinations only. There are places in this world I would like to travel to where non-stop is either going to be expensive or simply not doable. Some people travel looking to get away and any island/beach/warm weather place will do, then there are those who want to travel to specific places. You can only get to specific places based on what’s offered and affordable from where you’re traveling from. Really, a layover in normal circumstances isn’t a big deal; there’s travel lounges that can be taken advantage of and some airport terminal have concourses and eating areas for waiting.

That said, I do prefer flying non-stop in most cases mainly because I want to just get there. I’m at an advantage since I live where my main airport has carriers that fly to 126 domestic direct locations and 60 international direct locations. Yep, a major international airport. Not everyone lives near major hubs, however, so there is always an extra flight or more travel time for them. Another thing, even with living by a major airport, if I’m taking advantage of a flight deal or sale, those flights usually have a stop before the final destination, but the savings makes it well worth it. I always get travel insurance to cover any cancelled flights, flight interruptions, etc so at least I can recoup losses if I ever go through what your friend did.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:

And LAS is moderately big by airport standards. But it still couldn't get your friends to go where they actually wanted to go via a nonstop flight.

So the answer to your question is obvious. Most people would be doing themselves a big disservice by sticking only with destinations they can reach on a nonstop flight. Better to book a connecting flight to the place they'd truly prefer to visit, and just get some travel insurance to cover any trip disruptions. (Most people vacationing outside the US will need the insurance anyway, for medical coverage.)

Old 02-07-2018, 02:37 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
My airport does a bit better, with 29 nonstop destinations currently (some only seasonal), but the only international destination I can reach on a nonstop is Toronto, and the only 'tropical' location is southern Florida.

I can only imagine what folks in places like Rapid City SD or Boise ID have as nonstop options!

Most of us just have to learn to love connecting flights. Ah well, at least we're not having to get there via stagecoach or a steamer ship.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
And LAS is moderately big by airport standards.
Las Vegas is very large if it is ranked by number of passengers
  1. ATL Atlanta
  2. LAX Los Angeles
  3. ORD Chicago
  4. DFW Fort Worth
  5. JFK New York
  6. DEN Denver
  7. SFO San Francisco International Airport
  8. LAS Las Vegas
  9. SEA Seattle
  10. CLT Charlotte
  11. PHX Phoenix
  12. MIA Miami
  13. MCO Orlando

Orlando is the closest airport to Las Vegas in that it is a large airport that is not a hub, but a vacation destination. But Orlando actually has a wide range of nonstop tropical destinations

Orlando Tropical nonstop destinations
Aeroméxico Mexico City
Avianca Bogotá
Azul Brazilian Airlines Belo Horizonte-Confins, Campinas, Recife
Caribbean Airlines Port of Spain Seasonal: Kingston–Norman Manley
Copa Airlines Panama City
Delta Air Lines São Paulo–Guarulhos, Seattle/Tacoma Seasonal: Cancún
Frontier Airlines San Juan
Gol Airlines Brasília (begins November 4, 2018), Fortaleza (begins November 4, 2018)
JetBlue Airways Aguadilla, Bogotá, Havana, Mexico City, Montego Bay, Nassau, Ponce, Port-au-Prince,
JetBlue Airways San José de Costa Rica, San Juan, Santo Domingo–Las Américas
LATAM Brasil Fortaleza (begins July 5, 2018), Rio de Janeiro–Galeão, São Paulo–Guarulhos
LATAM Perú Lima
Southwest Airlines Montego Bay, San Juan
Spirit Airlines San Juan
Volaris Guadalajara, Mexico City

Quote:
But it still couldn't get your friends to go where they actually wanted to go via a nonstop flight.
The idea of the thread is that if you are taking a short vacation and not a business trip or a cultural trip, then you should limit yourself to nonstop destinations (if there are any).

Limit your wants.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 02-07-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 05:26 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I am not going to limit my choices, of world wide destinations, based on airline routes. It is no big deal to change planes.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:55 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Just to show how restrictive this is, there are nonstop flights from Los Angeles to only 13 European countries, Atlanta only nine. No nonstops from Atlanta to anywhere in Scandinavia. None to Lisbon from either LAX nor ATL. None to Prague from anywhere west or south of Philadedlphia. Several South American capitals with no nonstops to anywhere in the USA. To Manila only from SFO or LAX, and none to Jakarta at all. Only three destinations from JFK to sub-Saharan Africa.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-08-2018 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel